Melted wire in harness and needed wiring diagram 16'430 rs

Hello all. Any help here would be grear.

First, does anyone have or know where to find a wiring diagram for a 16' 430 rs? I have looked all over Beta USA's support page, and I'm not seeing it anywhere.

On a ride last week, my bike died.  When turning the key from off to on, I didn't hear the fuel pump so I took a look under the tank. When pressing on the main trunk of wiring loom under the tank I would hearing the pump sometimes turn on. After juggling the wire loom the pump fully came on i was able to ride back.  

I removed the wiring harness and opened most of it up. There is a grey wire with a black stripe that has lots of exposed copper. It looks like it melted through. Now what?! I've a watched s picture, but the copper is exposed in much more area than the pic shows.

4675.jpeg

Should be starter switch wire.  Just trace it out with ohm meter.

Later George

On 7/14/2018 at 0:22 PM, uptite said:

Should be starter switch wire.  Just trace it out with ohm meter.

Later George

What makes you think it has to do with the starter? The starter hasn't been an issue.

I've visually traced it to each connection of the harness, and I've checked with a meter after replacing. The lack of wiring diagram is my main issue in solving this. 

Looked it up on wiring diagram for you, sorry if it's not what you expected. 

Later George

• Like 1

I will consider myself lucky in that the wires that had either rubbed, pinched, got strained-whatever, were the headlight and turn signal wires and not something more critical.  

I am now resigned to worrying when, not if, but when, something else will go wrong with the wiring in the bundle.  

22 hours ago, uptite said:

Looked it up on wiring diagram for you, sorry if it's not what you expected. 

Later George

George, do you know where I can find a copy if the wiring diagram? Can you send a copy?

I ended up cutting out all the melted length of the wire and replaced it. All seems to be running well now. Now Ineed to figure out the best way to wrap the loom since 5:1 heatshrink would be needed to get over these connectors!

10 hours ago, Homerocks said:

I ended up cutting out all the melted length of the wire and replaced it. All seems to be running well now. Now Ineed to figure out the best way to wrap the loom since 5:1 heatshrink would be needed to get over these connectors!

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falcon_mercury_comet/wiring-harness-tape-adhesive.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp41-76425-1&sc_intid=41-76425-1&gclid=CjwKCAjwp7baBRBIEiwAPtjwxP2MptyCo7-CfTFH3K8qOX7k05Z8_Yy4izcSd9ueiPok5NgSadDQ8xoCiywQAvD_BwE

This is how Honda does it......

44 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Thanks. I actually had off today so I went old school with tube rubber, etape and cable ties. It was a hell of a project, but its finished. The bike is buttoned up and is running well.

My only concern is the connection from the harness to the coil. The insulation was a bit melted because it rests against the exhaust port. Kinda scary. 

Edited by Homerocks
because this site doesn't let me delete!!!!
  • Like 1

I'm dealing with this mega-headache now.  

Beta's wiring harness/loom, sucks.  

My headlight and fuel pump as well as battery charging are all all intermittent and  I believe they are all related somewhere in the harness by the headstock.  I had it all apart last night but could not really find any broken/busted/smushed wires so now I will have to dig a little deeper.  

I am dealing with gremlins now as well trying to figure out if I induced them with a handlebar swap or not. Bike ran perfect right after swap. Now the FI light is on and it cranks but doesn’t fire up. 2017 500 RR-S. Gonna tear into it tonight.

I have the wiring diagram on page 2 or 3 of my “this is out 500&125 thread”

OOPSSS SORRY BOUT DAT, PAGE 1

😎

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

I am dealing with gremlins now as well trying to figure out if I induced them with a handlebar swap or not. Bike ran perfect right after swap. Now the FI light is on and it cranks but doesn’t fire up. 2017 500 RR-S. Gonna tear into it tonight.

I had the same symptoms on my 2017 430 it would crank but not start, they fixed it under warranty, they said the butterfly in the TB was just barely not closing and the reason for a no start, they adjusted the TPI and all has been good since. I will say my throttle cable came very tight from the factory as in no adjustment left and that may be a contributing factor. Good luck I hope it's an easy fix.
  • Like 1

I had the same symptoms on my 2017 430 it would crank but not start, they fixed it under warranty, they said the butterfly in the TB was just barely not closing and the reason for a no start, they adjusted the TPI and all has been good since. I will say my throttle cable came very tight from the factory as in no adjustment left and that may be a contributing factor. Good luck I hope it's an easy fix.

Thanks man I think it had to do with that. I checked all wiring and replaced all fuses. No dice. Then I took all the controls off the bars and just let them hang. Throttle I noticed when on the new bars was slower in action. Once it was off the throttle was snapping back like normal.

Fired right up. Now I gotta sand the bars down a bit I guess. Weird. This FI stuff is new for me on bikes. Didn’t realize the sensitivity of it at low or zero throttle!
  • Like 1

Good you got it fixed.

My problem is in the bundle of black ground wires where they have crimped at least 5 of the black ground wires to one slightly bigger ground wire and some of the wires have slowly working/have worked loose so once I re-crimp the wires I think I'll be good to go, for now.  

FI has been weird for me too.  Giving the engine a signal that the throttle is open and the bike will not start. 

If I do not hear the bike energize the fuel pump in the tank and my bike will not fire.  

• Like 1

Good you got it fixed.
My problem is in the bundle of black ground wires where they have crimped at least 5 of the black ground wires to one slightly bigger ground wire and some of the wires have slowly working/have worked loose so once I re-crimp the wires I think I'll be good to go, for now.  
FI has been weird for me too.  Giving the engine a signal that the throttle is open and the bike will not start. 
If I do not hear the bike energize the fuel pump in the tank and my bike will not fire.  

Ben,

Where is this ground wire bundle? I want to look at mine while I’m at it. I want to determine if I can solder all the grounds together and heat shrink them versus crimps. I hate crimps where not necessary. Unless it’s a part that needs to be removed.

Thanks!

The ground bundle is wrapped in the main bundle and is lower in the bundle-it figures as it is about as low as it can be before the bundle disappears under the fuel tank.  It is crimped and all the strain from turning the bars left and right has the wires all loosening up.  

It would be very worth soldering and heat shrinking the wires.  I'm going down now to take it all apart and reconnect them all.  It is MY problem right now.