Jump to content

Tire sizes - changing from oem

Recommended Posts

Let me start by saying I know nothing about tire sizes. I’m going to put a 525 cheater and a goldentyre fatty on an xtrainer. 

The stock rear size tire is 140/80. 525 is only available in 120/100.   Where will I see the difference compared to the stock tire?

 

stock front tire is 80/100.  Sizes available are 80/100, 90/100, 90/90. Again not sure where I will see the difference between these 3 different sizes. If I should just stick with the stock size or if one of the others would be better. 

Riding is idaho single track... hard rock, loose rocks, hard dirt, loose dirt, dry roots, wet roots, sometimes mud if it’s an early spring ride. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 525 Cheater is also available in 110/100-18.  I think you might find the 120/100-18 to be a bit large (and more expensive.)  I've been running the 505 Cheater in 110/100-18 for a while now and love it. I'm about to spoon on my 4th rear tire of this brand and size.

Stock front tire is 80/100-21 and the "fatty" tires are 90/100-21.  Either will work.

Shinko has the same molds for their MX216 font tire that Goldentyre uses for their GT216 fatty, but the Shinkos are about half the price of Goldentyre.

Here's my Xtrainer with Shinko 505 Cheater 110/100-18 rear and Shinko 546 90/100-21 fatty front tire.  When I spoon on my next 505 rear tire I'll also put a MX216 fatty on the front.

Tires when new:
beta0111.jpg

Same tires after some wear:
20180321.jpg

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google motorcycle tire sizes to understand what the numbers mean. I just swapped my XT tires and went with the 120/100-18 525 rear. 90/100-21 216mx front. Both Shinko. 1 ride in the rocky shit and they were awesome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2017 300rr: 90/100 Shinko 216 fatty front and 120/100 Shinko 505 rear. Works great here in the PNW (when dry). Would suggest the 525 if wet/sloppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Let me start by saying I know nothing about tire sizes. I’m going to put a 525 cheater and a goldentyre fatty on an xtrainer. 

The stock rear size tire is 140/80. 525 is only available in 120/100.   Where will I see the difference compared to the stock tire?

 

stock front tire is 80/100.  Sizes available are 80/100, 90/100, 90/90. Again not sure where I will see the difference between these 3 different sizes. If I should just stick with the stock size or if one of the others would be better. 

Riding is idaho single track... hard rock, loose rocks, hard dirt, loose dirt, dry roots, wet roots, sometimes mud if it’s an early spring ride. 

I forget now but I think Dennis kirk gives a decent explanation or tire sizing but there are  threads on it and other sources that explain it. In simple terms different manufacturers have different sizing but a 120 like you got is an easy equivalent replacement for a 140. Tires are built different in design and composition. You’re good to go with your 525. The front tire is larger with a 90/100 than a 80/100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/tire-sizes-explained

 

https://www.motosport.com/blog/dirt-bike-tires-wheels-explained-sizes-pressure-treads-tools

 

 

 

I just put a 505 shinko 120 behind on my 300 rr. It’s great here and looks as big as a 140 that came stock. It works great. The bigger Ibex kenda works great too. I just took that one off before I put on the 505.

 

 

00987F3C-F57A-4E23-9A78-EAE2075EA59B.jpeg

64519B52-D46F-4BE7-95D0-994A98B580A6.jpeg

29C0E46F-17E1-4A0E-863B-01BAF142A0E1.jpeg

ACDC902D-E12D-4A24-AC05-FED9EC3A66E1.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im 5'8", I researched the crap out of which 525 to get to replace the rear on my 17 XT. The 120 is about half an inch taller than the stock tire and the 110 is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. I went with the 110 as one of the reasons I love the XT is its lower seat. My riding is the same area as the TKO Enduro in Tennessee, nasty rocky single track and the 525 is a great tire. We aren't running wfo, but picking and finessing our way up and down the mountain. My riding buddy put the 120 505 on his KTM and says hell go to the 110 525 on his next tire change. I was thinking about the fatty for the front, but it specs out about 3/4 inch taller than stock mx216.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RELIC said:

Im 5'8", I researched the crap out of which 525 to get to replace the rear on my 17 XT. The 120 is about half an inch taller than the stock tire and the 110 is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. I went with the 110 as one of the reasons I love the XT is its lower seat. My riding is the same area as the TKO Enduro in Tennessee, nasty rocky single track and the 525 is a great tire. We aren't running wfo, but picking and finessing our way up and down the mountain. My riding buddy put the 120 505 on his KTM and says hell go to the 110 525 on his next tire change. I was thinking about the fatty for the front, but it specs out about 3/4 inch taller than stock mx216.

Isn’t the fatty front stock on an xtrainer?

I think I might think about getting lower ergos in other ways and have a larger footprint for better traction. That way you get better traction and still have a lower seat height. You must be running lower pressures and having a lower seat height a bit  if you are riding TKO type trails. 

Im taller and went to a tall seat and realized a lower seat is still king in technical.. even though the tall seat wasn’t that bad and better in open riding. Traction and hookup is the number 1 priority for riding here. I’m guessing its the same where you are. It’s not as important for some other riding area. I have yet to try the 525. Have a new 505 120 now. 

Of course the other option is a trials tire. That will drop your seat height. Here’s my friends dirty beta from yesterday with a trials.

E9092046-71C9-4F54-9AF6-DE0F62B8AC4D.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Isn’t the fatty front stock on an xtrainer?

I think I might think about getting lower ergos in other ways and have a larger footprint for better traction. That way you get better traction and still have a lower seat height. You must be running lower pressures and having a lower seat height a bit  if you are riding TKO type trails. 

Im taller and went to a tall seat and realized a lower seat is still king in technical.. even though the tall seat wasn’t that bad and better in open riding. Traction and hookup is the number 1 priority for riding here. I’m guessing its the same where you are. It’s not as important for some other riding area. I have yet to try the 525. Have a new 505 120 now. 

Of course the other option is a trials tire. That will drop your seat height. Here’s my friends dirty beta from yesterday with a trials.

E9092046-71C9-4F54-9AF6-DE0F62B8AC4D.jpeg

My XT didn't come with a fatty front. I wasn't trying for lowering through the tires, just didn't want to go taller. Normally run 8-10 psi rear and 10-12 front, On my bike and the way I ride, a slightly narrower tire helps with quick direction changes where there isn't much room for error. I know tire choice is almost as bad as an oil thread! Ive got a kenda equilibrium sitting in the rack with less than 20 hrs on it that I absolutely hated lol. I tried different psi's and could never get it to hook on wet rocks and im not a tire spinner. I don't ride the pipe much, prefer to upshift and torque my way through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RELIC said:

My XT didn't come with a fatty front. I wasn't trying for lowering through the tires, just didn't want to go taller. Normally run 8-10 psi rear and 10-12 front, On my bike and the way I ride, a slightly narrower tire helps with quick direction changes where there isn't much room for error. I know tire choice is almost as bad as an oil thread! Ive got a kenda equilibrium sitting in the rack with less than 20 hrs on it that I absolutely hated lol. I tried different psi's and could never get it to hook on wet rocks and im not a tire spinner. I don't ride the pipe much, prefer to upshift and torque my way through.

You run much higher psi than I do for tech riding. It’s around 3 to 8 lbs behind and around 10 up front in my case depending. It’s more by feel as far as tire pressure and if dry or wet. Pressure just goes down in wet most  slippery conditions. Im more of a short shift higher gear low rpm rider like you I think .....but was an mx guy so I switch to aggressive rpm for short periods of time for faster hare scrambles type racing. The smooth less wasted effort upshift and torque your way through like you say is great for riding especially longer time riding. Ive heard some riders from Kauai are riding TKO again this year. I had a chance to go ride it in 2012 and in hindsight wish I did. I even have a sister inlaw that lives in Tullahoma which I think isn’t that far away from TKO. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You run much higher psi than I do for tech riding. It’s around 3 to 8 lbs behind and around 10 up front in my case depending. It’s more by feel as far as tire pressure and if dry or wet. Pressure just goes down in wet most  slippery conditions. Im more of a short shift higher gear low rpm rider like you I think .....but was an mx guy so I switch to aggressive rpm for short periods of time for faster hare scrambles type racing. The smooth less wasted effort upshift and torque your way through like you say is great for riding especially longer time riding. Ive heard some riders from Kauai are riding TKO again this year. I had a chance to go ride it in 2012 and in hindsight wish I did. I even have a sister inlaw that lives in Tullahoma which I think isn’t that far away from TKO. 
Small world! I was at harbor freight in Tullahoma this afternoon! I'm in Manchester. If you're ever up this way let me know.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tires numbers your are quoting are not sizes, they are ratios.

A 120/100 can be 'larger' than a 130/90, or whatever ratio you are comparing.

You have to go to the manuf's website and look fore width and diameter measurements.  Many tires get a lot larger as they get wider, screwing up your steering geometry.....

A perfect example:  a Kenda Washougal-2  90/100-21 is narrower than a Golden Tyre 201-AA 80/100-21. The GoldenTyre 90/100 is waaay bigger than the Kenda....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RELIC said:
1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:
You run much higher psi than I do for tech riding. It’s around 3 to 8 lbs behind and around 10 up front in my case depending. It’s more by feel as far as tire pressure and if dry or wet. Pressure just goes down in wet most  slippery conditions. Im more of a short shift higher gear low rpm rider like you I think .....but was an mx guy so I switch to aggressive rpm for short periods of time for faster hare scrambles type racing. The smooth less wasted effort upshift and torque your way through like you say is great for riding especially longer time riding. Ive heard some riders from Kauai are riding TKO again this year. I had a chance to go ride it in 2012 and in hindsight wish I did. I even have a sister inlaw that lives in Tullahoma which I think isn’t that far away from TKO. 

Read more  

Small world! I was at harbor freight in Tullahoma this afternoon! I'm in Manchester. If you're ever up this way let me know.

Thanks! Yea my daughter is in Tullahoma now. My daughter is swimming with her aunties swim team for summer. Her auntie is a swim coach for the Mako sharks? Or something like that. Their team won state championships from what I heard. Yea this world is pretty small.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×