westvirginia Camping near Hatfield McCoy trails

Hey thumpertalk! Me and 3 buddies are taking a trip to west virginia to ride the hatfield mccoy trails later this year and we were looking for a good place to stay. Any suggestions? 

I have a lodge near the Buffalo Trailhead connector that's in Williamson.W.Va. I also work on the single trac to keep it opened up and adding more . If you like the hard stuff I have a 50 mile route laid out called  the Buffalo challenge The challenge is to do it all in one day. so far nobody has . I added 5 miles last year and have scoped out about about 5 or 6 more for this fall. check out www.trailblazersoutfitters.com. we have a house and a lodge available . you can ride to trailhead from our location also if that's important.check it out and give me a call 859 953 0903 Butch

• Like 1

Depends where you want to go. Different trail systems have different terrains and riding preferences.

Me and a friend stayed at Twin Hollow campground on the Rock House trail just outside of Gilbert a couple years ago.  it was a nice campground run by very friendly people.  its right off the trail so you don't have to hit any connectors.  We had a lot of fun on the Rock House system.  unfortunately we only planned for 2 days of riding which wasn't nearly enough.  Plus I popped a tube on a Sunday and my spare tube was the wrong size and wouldn't fit. 

Do you mean tent camping? or $300,000 RV camping?
If the latter, Twin Hollow campground near Gilbert is very nice. There is an HM trail, #3, directly into the property. They also have cabins with great views.

I didn't realize how VAST HM truly is. Our first trip earlier this month, I saw Hatfield signs and I was still 1.5 hours away from where we were staying. I recommend looking into what trail riding you'd prefer, then search for places closest to that system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoFearCRF450 said:

I didn't realize how VAST HM truly is..... I recommend looking into what trail riding you'd prefer, then search for places closest to that system.

Yes, its huge. There are about 7 systems, and each is huge. Some are near each other, you can ride from Buffalo Mountain to Devil Anse and on to Rockhouse. Others take a load-up and truck ride. Pocahontas is at least 90 minute truck ride from Buffalo Mountain.

The "chose a trail system" section on the https://trailsheaven.com/ site is a good place to start, but I think they are a bit vague on the differences between systems

• Like 1