Keeping glasses in place when riding

I just started wearing glasses a few years ago.  I had 20/20 vision my whole life, until I hit 45.  I don't have that bad of vision, but it's bad enough that I really prefer to see clearly with corrective lenses (near sighted).  The thoughts of having to poke my finger in my eye everyday does not appeal to me, at all.  Right now, I'm not wearing glasses.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Snotrub said:

I just started wearing glasses a few years ago.  I had 20/20 vision my whole life, until I hit 45.  I don't have that bad of vision, but it's bad enough that I really prefer to see clearly with corrective lenses (near sighted).  The thoughts of having to poke my finger in my eye everyday does not appeal to me, at all.  Right now, I'm not wearing glasses.  

They aren't really that bad. I thought the same and I do still wear glasses everyday (usually) because I need those damn bifocals to read drawings at work. However, when I'm doing something that doesn't' require constant reading, I will pop in my contacts, a 90 day supply lasts me a year, and go have fun without worrying. Riding, working around the yard, hiking, etc. No glasses sliding down from sweat and I can still see fine. Take some 5 dollar readers with me if I need to read a menu or something. They honestly are quite liberating if you're used to glasses. You should try them. Once you get the hang of putting them in and taking them out, you don't even think about it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Float said:

The contacts sound pretty good.  I cringe at the thought of sticking them in my eyes, but after your comments I might give it a go.  Thx

It's like shaving, scared to death when you're a kid and you cut the hell out of yourself. After a bit, you can do it half a sleep and hungover looking out of one bloodshot squinted eye and never miss one whisker. The only advice I can give is, get a package of trial lenses, then practice and practice. In, out, clean, back in, etc... However, if you're eye starts getting irritated, red and dry it will be a pain in the arse. If they won't stick to your eyeball, a drop of saline solution will give them extra moisture and they'll suck right to your eye. 

1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

I'm getting ready for the cataract surgery. Opt thinks I will be correction free after that, hope he is right.

It worked very well for me.  I wore glasses since my teens and they were always annoying for outdoor sports.

One thing to note, with the artificial lenses in your eyes, you will no longer be able to focus.  Not at all.  This makes your decision very important for which range of focus (far, medium, close, etc.) you want for your implanted artificial lenses.  I'm so glad that I picked the farthest distance for clear, unaided fixed focus.  This gives the greatest depth of field and is perfect for riding, driving, skiing, etc.  Medium distance (e.g. watching TV) is also okay unaided but you might want glasses for that distance if you watch a lot of TV.  I now have to wear glasses for reading but I much prefer that over no glasses for reading but glasses for distance and all sports.  I like to keep reading glasses with me when driving for seeing gauges and GPS clearly but I can even still see those well enough without glasses if necessary.

Overall, my vision is much better since the surgery a few years ago and seeing is much more convenient.

3 hours ago, RK-REX said:

They aren't really that bad. I thought the same and I do still wear glasses everyday (usually) because I need those damn bifocals to read drawings at work. However, when I'm doing something that doesn't' require constant reading, I will pop in my contacts, a 90 day supply lasts me a year, and go have fun without worrying. Riding, working around the yard, hiking, etc. No glasses sliding down from sweat and I can still see fine. Take some 5 dollar readers with me if I need to read a menu or something. They honestly are quite liberating if you're used to glasses. You should try them. Once you get the hang of putting them in and taking them out, you don't even think about it. 

??

1 hour ago, RK-REX said:

It's like shaving, scared to death when you're a kid and you cut the hell out of yourself. After a bit, you can do it half a sleep and hungover looking out of one bloodshot squinted eye and never miss one whisker. The only advice I can give is, get a package of trial lenses, then practice and practice. In, out, clean, back in, etc... However, if you're eye starts getting irritated, red and dry it will be a pain in the arse. If they won't stick to your eyeball, a drop of saline solution will give them extra moisture and they'll suck right to your eye. 

? Never, ever, never, ever install a dry contact. Never, Ever. Period!

Edited by Piney Woods

1 hour ago, Max17 said:

It worked very well for me.  I wore glasses since my teens and they were always annoying for outdoor sports.

One thing to note, with the artificial lenses in your eyes, you will no longer be able to focus.  Not at all.  This makes your decision very important for which range of focus (far, medium, close, etc.) you want for your implanted artificial lenses.  I'm so glad that I picked the farthest distance for clear, unaided fixed focus.  This gives the greatest depth of field and is perfect for riding, driving, skiing, etc.  Medium distance (e.g. watching TV) is also okay unaided but you might want glasses for that distance if you watch a lot of TV.  I now have to wear glasses for reading but I much prefer that over no glasses for reading but glasses for distance and all sports.  I like to keep reading glasses with me when driving for seeing gauges and GPS clearly but I can even still see those well enough without glasses if necessary.

Overall, my vision is much better since the surgery a few years ago and seeing is much more convenient.

My wife says color recognition is better also. I wonder if that would/could make an orange bike look good?

• Like 2

On 7/15/2018 at 8:21 PM, TeamGreenPilot said:

IMG_4811.JPG

I didn't catch this the first time through so for those of you who didn't get this dirty little inside joke let me explain.

Several years ago I drove up and parked my car in the parking lot at Starwest Raceway in California.  I got out and looked over at the car next to me and it looked like Danny LaPorte who I had meet and talked to briefly at a Chaparral riding event several years earlier.  I was going to say hi when he abruptly got back in his car and left.  This little event turned into a big drama especially over at VitalMX where it turned out that I being a homo was looking at his incredible manly, naked chest dreaming of sticking my dick in his luscious butt.  Now I am sure if you know Danny personally he is probably a swell guy, but as far as I know nobody has ever accused professional motocross racers of being the sharpest tools in the shed.  

So, well knowing that a lot of people live completely in a world of hearsay and don't want the facts to get in the way of their beliefs, I am going to give my side of this ridiculous drama.  In 1982 I was working as a bike mechanic and the service manager who the most arrogant, pompous prick I ever met fabricated a rumor that I was a homosexual. I had quit that job and sometime afterward noticed that people I knew were treating me differently. When I finally figured out what was going on it was too late, the rumor was everywhere.  That rumor made a huge impact on my life and well being at the time.  What I am, and you would hardly notice that today because I am much older, is a very shy person.  From experience, people that are bullies have a field day projecting all the unsavory things swimming around in their subconscious on myself and people like me that they consider weak or inept.  I am not gay and have never been gay.  I have a hundred times more respect and empathy for people that are gay or different in some way than the kind of people who make up and/or spread around this kind of filth.  If this little drama is a window into the collective soul of this sport there are a lot of people in it who need to grow up.

Edited by Float
  • Like 3

The contacts sound pretty good.  I cringe at the thought of sticking them in my eyes, but after your comments I might give it a go.  Thx

CONTACTS best way to go. You get use to them after a while and nowadays they are so advanced you don’t even feel them ever. Hated my glasses fogging up all the time

I didn't catch this the first time through so for those of you who didn't get this dirty little inside joke let me explain.
Several years ago I drove up and parked my car in the parking lot at Starwest Raceway in California.  I got out and looked over at the car next to me and it looked like Danny LaPorte who I had meet and talked to briefly at a Chaparral riding event several years earlier.  I was going to say hi when he abruptly got back in his car and left.  This little event turned into a big drama especially over at VitalMX where it turned out that I being a homo was looking at his incredible manly, naked chest dreaming of sticking my dick in his luscious butt.  Now I am sure if you know Danny personally he is probably a swell guy, but as far as I know nobody has ever accused professional motocross racers of being the sharpest tools in the shed.  
So, well knowing that a lot of people live completely in a world of hearsay and don't want the facts to get in the way of their beliefs, I am going to give my side of this ridiculous drama.  In 1982 I was working as a bike mechanic and the service manager who the most arrogant, pompous prick I ever met fabricated a rumor that I was a homosexual. I had quit that job and sometime afterward noticed that people I knew were treating me differently. When I finally figured out what was going on it was too late, the rumor was everywhere.  That rumor made a huge impact on my life and well being at the time.  What I am, and you would hardly notice that today because I am much older, is a very shy person.  From experience, people that are bullies have a field day projecting all the unsavory things swimming around in their subconscious on myself and people like me that they consider weak or inept.  I am not gay and have never been gay.  I have a hundred times more respect and empathy for people that are gay or different in some way than the kind of people who make up and/or spread around this kind of filth.  If this little drama is a window into the collective soul of this sport there are a lot of people in it who need to grow up.

ABAA7FDC-50CB-4F0C-B9E8-C77B40E6DD25-62199-00005CFC4AC0EDB0.jpeg

All of that from a photo of the inventor of the Optigrab ™ mentioned in the previous post?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, astromoondoggie said:

All of that from a photo of the inventor of the Optigrab mentioned in the previous post?

I thought the same thing, maybe I missed something and will have to watch the movie again

8 hours ago, Float said:

Thanks for explaining that.  I didn't really get it, other than Steve Martin was a funny bastard. 

My own dad accused me of being homo, at the same time I was bringing home female strippers, but he was a drunk, so....

35 minutes ago, Snotrub said:

I think Float may have made a visit to the Colorado border before he posted that.  If so, whatever he bought, I want some. 

Weed that makes you ultra paranoid?  No thanks!

• Like 2