Another kdx200 vs 220 thread

So I already know that the kdx 220 had more low rpm torque but less top end horsepower. This is due mainly to the 220 coming with a smaller carburetor stock right?

If that's the case, will swapping in some aftermarket parts get me the best of both worlds, or am I missing something?

Cylinder porting is different on the 220.  It has an inherently different personality.  With a bigger carb and the right pipe it will run better on top but I think it may only keep up with a 200 with the same carb and pipe.

Depends on the kind of riding you do.  For desert riding I like the 200. 

I have owned both and they had essentially the same mods. RB head and bored 35mm regular PWK carb, FMF pipe Fatty on 200 and Desert pipe on 220, Vforce III on 200 and RAD valve w/pro series reeds on 220, stock porting, both 13/48 gearing, both engines were completely rebuilt by me. I'm ride and race in the AZ desert.

I prefer the 220 for it's ability to lug up things like a 4T, I can carry a higher gear thereby maintaining better traction, it is considerably better the more tight and technical the terrain becomes, and it is less tiring to ride over the course of a 3-4 hour hare scramble. Yeah, bigger bikes will walk away from it in the high speed stuff but the 200 suffers the same problem. The 200 I see being better for riders that are more aggressive, have a point-n-shoot riding style, and/or just like the sound of a screaming 2T.

• Like 1