The RR-S, and it's Yamaha TTR spawn go moto-camping(pics)

It started with the 500 RR-S that I got 02/22/2017.  My boy rode his cousin's hand-me-down JR 50 this past October then fit on an XR 70 so he got a TTR 110.  My girl then rode the same JR 50 this past April, one week after learning to ride her bicycle and this past Friday, the wife picked up a TTR 90 and I had spent Friday night and Saturday morning giving it a once-over and cleaning the pilot jet to make it run perfectly for a 2007 bike that thankfully, was not ridden and used as a pitbike and instead was just used by kids.  For $799 it was a great deal for me. 

The wife got herself a new TTR 125 and the reason for the 125 was because a Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 could be put in it.  We got the TTR 110 because it had just a bit more performance over the CRF 110 and the TTR 90 is the perfect jump for my 6 1/2 year old girl as the JR 50 was holding her back with its small size and lack of suspension.  She is now hauling butt at 20-25 mph in 3rd gear and tries as hard as she can to catch her brother who can ride just a bit faster. 

The RR-S is doing awesome.  Rekluse Radius CX and the TM Designworks chain guide has all but eliminated the chain slap noise.  I'm glad that I don't have anything that I want to upgrade to or buy for it other than a new rear tire that I'm sure I'll need this winter for next spring and no better time to do it than when the rear wheel needs to come off anyway to put the snowbike kit back on it. 

The moto-camping has been awesome.  This past weekend was the second time doing it as the first was back the last weekend in June and we had enjoyed it so much, we are planning on doing it every other weekend until school starts at the end of August.  The kids and the wife had all done it for the first time and had a great time.  It is an especially nice spot as there are no biting bugs-this is a miracle, and at night there are no loud bugs or lizards/amphibians and in the morning, no loud birds, somehow, despite being by the creek, there are just no biting bugs.  The creek has nice, clear, cool water for washing up and even a deep pool not 100 yards upstream that is deep enough for all of us to soak in but is just up to my neck which is perfect and in the heat of a sunny day the water warms up so going in when it is 80-90 is just so refreshing.  

P1140137.JPG

P1140132.JPG

P1140161.JPG

P1140091.JPG

P1140152.JPG

P1140133.JPG

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Nice.  It’s great your whole family is envolved, they will have many life long memories.  I got my kids involved.  Only problem was pushback when I wanted to go riding with my experienced friends and leave the kids home.  It all worked out.  Now, my 28 year old daughter is one of my favorite riding partners.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Nice.  It’s great your whole family is envolved, they will have many life long memories.  I got my kids involved.  Only problem was pushback when I wanted to go riding with my experienced friends and leave the kids home.  It all worked out.  Now, my 28 year old daughter is one of my favorite riding partners.

It is great and I never really thought that it would ever happen as for years, even when they were big enough to ride the JR 50, neither of them had shown any interest in it.  Then last fall, during a stretch of Indian Summer, my boy agreed to try and ride and once he did he was ok with it, not quite hooked, but ok with coming and riding with me.  He always liked the little Mini-Z snowmobile though, as it is so easy to ride it. 

My daughter fell in love with the same snowmobile this past winter and had come around to trying the JR 50 this past spring and once she had tried it she, was hooked and says that dirtbiking is now more fun than the snowmobiling, especially as she has her new 90.  

I only have one friend left that rides but I'd rather ride with the family as it is more fun and worth it to me taking them out and having them get better and at the same time, less wear and tear on my bike so it will last longer.  I don't mind just putt-ing around nowaways as I had spent all last spring, summer and fall riding all the great legal areas in a 150 mile radius so I got all that out of me and can now just look forward to riding the easy trails until the kids get better and by the time my daughter would be 28 I'll be really old.  You are a very fortunate dad.  I hope that either of my kids become my favorite riding partners although they already are now that I think about it. 

• Like 2

My daughter started bugging me to get a bike when she was about 12, but I kept putting her off as she was involved with horses (we had 5 or 6, wife was an instructor) and it was all expensive.  And I was being kind of selfish, not wanting to spend years teaching another of my kids to ride.  I like to ride challenging terrain at speeds which work me.  She finally wore me down after a couple of years, and my wife said to go get her a bike.  Picked her up a new CRF 80, and she took to it like a duck to water.  A couple of years later, she got a TTR 125LE, which fit her perfect (5’1”, 95#).  She rode that for years, and as she progressed, the TTR was holding her back.  This fall, she got a Beta 125 RRS.  After lowering it, it’s is a great bike for her.  I can take her into just about any terrain that I can do, except for steep, torn up hill climbs.  She just did her first organized dual sport ride last month, we took the hard routes, and did well.  In October, we are looking at doing a three day dual sport ride.  I am a lucky guy.  You are also.

Here she is with her new Beta.

30A3ABA7-95B6-428A-A0A9-057DBDA22FC4.jpeg

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 4