2014 wr450 hard to find neutral ?

I’m gonna have to pop the clutch cover off and take a look at the basket and discs . Cause it doesent feel right . Trying to get in neutral from first gear , shifter is super hard and almost always skips neutral and goes into 2nd gear . And same with going into neutral from 2nd 

My 2012 is also really hard to find Neutral when hot and running.  Shut it off and Neutral is easy.  I also just replace a worn out clutch cable 6 months ago.  Adjusting the clutch free play does not help with finding neutral when the engine is hot.  The clutch is not slipping.  Maybe I am being a little paranoid because our COBDR trip was ended by a total clutch failure on a friends BMW on a Ophir Pass.  Not sure how long a clutch should last.

1 hour ago, CaptCapsize said:

My 2012 is also really hard to find Neutral when hot and running.  Shut it off and Neutral is easy.  I also just replace a worn out clutch cable 6 months ago.  Adjusting the clutch free play does not help with finding neutral when the engine is hot.  The clutch is not slipping.  Maybe I am being a little paranoid because our COBDR trip was ended by a total clutch failure on a friends BMW on a Ophir Pass.  Not sure how long a clutch should last.

WR clutches last a very long time, but the oem springs are crap (they sack in a few hours) and the clutch runs hot.

Barnett or Hinson Yz250F springs work great

• Like 2

Thanks,

I think I will replace the clutch pack and springs at the same time.  Last oil change it looked like there was a tiny bit clutch material in the drained oil. 

I replaced the clutch cable after it required frequent adjustment to disengage on a gnarly ride.  I babied the clutch to get out of the rocky ravine we were in.  When I got back to town I took it apart and there were only 4 strands of the clutch cable remaining.  I ride very remote areas and reliability is more important to me, than performance.   If that clutch cable had failed I was looking at about a 10 mile hike to get to a road.  

29 minutes ago, CaptCapsize said:

Thanks,

I think I will replace the clutch pack and springs at the same time.  Last oil change it looked like there was a tiny bit clutch material in the drained oil. 

I replaced the clutch cable after it required frequent adjustment to disengage on a gnarly ride.  I babied the clutch to get out of the rocky ravine we were in.  When I got back to town I took it apart and there were only 4 strands of the clutch cable remaining.  I ride very remote areas and reliability is more important to me, than performance.   If that clutch cable had failed I was looking at about a 10 mile hike to get to a road.  

Keep your eyes on those WR clutch cables. I’ve been through many but they do  give you a little warning as they require adjustment all of a sudden. 

• Like 1

Thanks,

I de-burred and smoothed all edges that the cable passes through.  But, a spare clutch cable may still be in order.  

I am the second owner of this bike.  The previous owner is a good friend.  He took very good care of it, but he also rode it pretty hard.  At least a lot harder than I ride.   I love the bike, but sometimes it kicks my butt.  It is capable of a lot more than I am. 

• Like 1