Jump to content
KRAYNIAL

I take back what I said about the TwinAir air filters

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Cannot buy directly for shipment to the USA, when you try and buy one.

The DT-1's are a euro thing but the concept of their very dense close cell base and double layer(TwinAir style) seems like it would be a very good brand to try. They do have a US dealer/distributor so starting there may be the way to go. Interesting they don't list Beta. Maybe they are doing an exclusive as others do with Beta versions only being sold through the dealers? But going int'l on Ebay shows they do make them though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

STill don't understand. All Pro-x filters are two stage.  What is DT1  three stage?

That video explained nothing

 

Sorry if being faint.

DT1 has both standard dual layer filters and their "triple layer for extreme conditions".

But they don't seem to be making them for any beta oddly enough. You might try shoot them an email, the dt1 filter USA site is mxfilters.com.

Made in America top if I didn't misrepresent the info.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Mine does have  almost no lip.

Can't get Inntek or DT-1 filters through normal channels. 

I have Inntecks in stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Twin Air Filters since the 80's with no problems. They last for a long time if you maintain and install them properly. I just installed a Twin Air in my new Honda CRF-230F a few days ago. Twin Air is the only filter I use in all of my dirt bikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

I have been using Twin Air Filters since the 80's with no problems. They last for a long time if you maintain and install them properly. I just installed a Twin Air in my new Honda CRF-230F a few days ago. Twin Air is the only filter I use in all of my dirt bikes.

Yep. Always funny when someone does something dumb and then blames it on some basic, simple product. Intelligence and common sense still matter.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used DT1 in our KTM's.  They are one of the best filters I've used.  As mentioned, they do not make one for the Beta.  I messaged them on IG a while back and they confirmed they do not but if I sent a stock filter they would make a custom.  I didn't.  I've had great luck also with the Twin Air using Maxima oil.  I believe using the red No toil has alcohol which causes the gluing to fail on the foam.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

I have been using Twin Air Filters since the 80's with no problems. They last for a long time if you maintain and install them properly. I just installed a Twin Air in my new Honda CRF-230F a few days ago. Twin Air is the only filter I use in all of my dirt bikes.

 They fall apart! Tear so easily!  They get pock marks all over the sealing area! The foam at the sealing area becomes weak and non supportive!   I am glad I have found an alternative to them, with the Pro-X. 

Just so you know, every filter is not the same contruction for every bike. The KTM filters are completely different than the filters offered for the Beta. The Honda CRFR filters are really nice and robust. The Beta filters are filmsy and thin at the sealing area......so don't judge others experiences based on your lack of it.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 6:08 PM, THE KRAN said:

OK, three clean filters; discussing visual qualtiy based on inspection, light transfer, and build quality (size and thickness of sealing area)

*It's my contention that the thicker, larger, and more dense the sealing area, the better*

 

Twin Air  - reasonably thick and large sealing area, with decent poursize (see flashlight test). A decent filter, for sure.

Uni Filter - terriblly thin and small sealing area, with gigantic pour size. A Fail, in my opinion.  So much for Uni coming to help us out.....  Uni filters used on other bikes were huge at sealing.....

Pro-X - larger and thicker sealing area. Very small poor size. (see flashlight test). Too me, the best of the Three by far (based on this 'test') . Even in the flashlight tests, you can see the camera changed it's Iris to comensate for the reduced light coming out of the filter. Visually, without the camera, the Pro-X blocked the most light.

FunnelWeb : has not arrived yet

 

TWIN AIR

20180718_174836.jpg.0cd281479bc36b3e7ebc0d74d8cb3231.jpg20180718_174852.jpg.e8634f9b4e52d0ba42ff11a4c20e63b1.jpg

 

20180718_175026.jpg.0b2d3aecb5a26034b366c3d9a41b0149.jpg

 

 

 

UNI FILTER

20180718_174839.jpg.7710a3d5b590a2d5797d27e98d35b119.jpg20180718_175115.jpg.b87a5779a4886629e33649ebcffb2274.jpg20180718_175037.jpg.36c07cd9c50326ef1c7d625488693829.jpg

 

 

PRO-X 

 

20180718_174842.jpg.c8ca0cfea93bd419778680773eac37f0.jpg20180718_174916.jpg.18a93bc3ef56110fa3bbc35da875765a.jpg20180718_175044.jpg.aed3c0fa5a8cbf4f38b4f197654ea927.jpg

My vote is for the PRO-X FILTER for my Beta, from now on.

 

MORE TO COME ON IMPROVING THE CLAMPING OF THE FILTER, AND A MORE AGGRESSIVE 'AIR LEAK' TEST

FUNNEL WEB FILTER 'PROLINE'

- thickest and finest pore sealing surface by far !

5b562f31a0b59_20180723_1235341.jpg.570582f6f2123e5e72b62e1d13ab32f8.jpg5b562f4fb90ae_20180723_1235451.jpg.910c09474430bbdfc5dd532703ddb37a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

FUNNEL WEB FILTER 'PROLINE'

- thickest and finest pore sealing surface by far !

5b562f31a0b59_20180723_1235341.jpg.570582f6f2123e5e72b62e1d13ab32f8.jpg5b562f4fb90ae_20180723_1235451.jpg.910c09474430bbdfc5dd532703ddb37a.jpg

Kran, did you get that filter for your Beta?  If so, where?  Could you post the link as I'll order two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use TwinAir almost exclusively on all my bikes.  I have a few RMATV knockoff's (Tusk), and a Funnel Web.  I use TwinAir Liquid Power, clean with Solvent, then wash in hot soapy water.  The TwinAir and Tusk filters have held up fine.  No issues at all.  The seams separated on the Funnel Web after a few uses.  So, I will not be buying that brand again.

 

joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Kran, did you get that filter for your Beta?  If so, where?  Could you post the link as I'll order two.  

https://www.motorsportsuperstore.com/funnelweb-air-filter-proline-4396279.html

 

https://www.funnelweb-filter.com/shop/proline-filter/

The model is # 7190

The Funnel Web Filter website is a mess, so it took me a while to figure out the model number for the BETA 4T line.

You can't order directly from FWF....at least I could not make it work....hence the Motorsport Superstore. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, THE KRAN said:

 They fall apart! Tear so easily!  They get pock marks all over the sealing area! The foam at the sealing area becomes weak and non supportive!   I am glad I have found an alternative to them, with the Pro-X. 

Just so you know, every filter is not the same contruction for every bike. The KTM filters are completely different than the filters offered for the Beta. The Honda CRFR filters are really nice and robust. The Beta filters are filmsy and thin at the sealing area......so don't judge others experiences based on your lack of it.....

My experience is 30+ years in the motorcycle industry and 51 years of riding, racing and working on motorcycles since the age of 5 years old. I am not judging anyone, I just gave my personal opinion. I guess a lot of the professional OEM Factory Race Teams and me that use Twin Air filters have the same opinion.  I apologize if I offended you "The Kran". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't claim to be a filtration engineer, but the assertion that pore size of the filtration material is the most important criteria is suspect. What about the requirement that the filter provide unrestricted airflow to the engine, even at maximum rpm?

Clean the filter well, oil it well, grease the lip, install it properly, and change it regularly and I'd feel confident using any of those filters. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

I don't claim to be a filtration engineer, but the assertion that pore size of the filtration material is the most important criteria is suspect. What about the requirement that the filter provide unrestricted airflow to the engine, even at maximum rpm?

Clean the filter well, oil it well, grease the lip, install it properly, and change it regularly and I'd feel confident using any of those filters. 

 

Twin air, visually, has by far the largest pore size.

Funnel web has the smallest. My bike ran rich with the funnel web, with sluggish qucik throttle response.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

My bike ran rich with the funnel web, with sluggish qucik throttle response

I alternate between Twin Air and funnel-web back to back every other ride. There's no performance difference between the 2 filters unless you've over saturated one or the other. My bike isn't running more rich with a funnel web, 

You might have other issues going on if you're finding throttle response performance related to a funnel web filter. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I alternate between Twin Air and funnel-web back to back every other ride. There's no performance difference between the 2 filters unless you've over saturated one or the other. My bike isn't running more rich with a funnel web, 

You might have other issues going on if you're finding throttle response performance related to a funnel web filter. 

 

RIGHT. My experiences are wrong. Got it.  Never done this stuff before....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

RIGHT. My experiences are wrong. Got it.  Never done this stuff before....

You're experience with your Beta is unique for sure,  in that I've never seen any other Beta owner have more issues than you have. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The air filter oil and grease around the seal are the real filter. Also how you clean and oil the air filter is very important along with good quality waterproof grease on the seal like Maxima or Bel Ray. If not done properly any air filter will fail. I have found a mix of Maxima and Bel Ray air filter oil mixed 50/50 works really well on my Twin Air filters. Also as far as having issues with bikes, some people just have more than others. My grandfather who was a master mechanic always taught me from an early age if you take the proper care of your motorcycle it will take care of you.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one that has not had any trouble with the pair of Twin Air filters and will just keep on using them until they are worn-out and no good anymore.  

I did add a small o-ring I had laying around and put it on the part that pokes into the air filter to snug it down a little more and was glad that it does add a little more pressure to the air filter cage/air filter to make extra-sure the filter is snug to the airbox.  

 

I think that if I was/did need to buy a new air filter, I'd go with the Moose one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...