KRAYNIAL

I take back what I said about the TwinAir air filters

10 hours ago, firffighter said:

You're experience with your Beta is unique for sure,  in that I've never seen any other Beta owner have more issues than you have. 

You haven't been around long enough!

2 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

The air filter oil and grease around the seal are the real filter. Also how you clean and oil the air filter is very important along with good quality waterproof grease on the seal like Maxima or Bel Ray. If not done properly any air filter will fail. I have found a mix of Maxima and Bel Ray air filter oil mixed 50/50 works really well on my Twin Air filters. Also as far as having issues with bikes, some people just have more than others. My grandfather who was a master mechanic always taught me from an early age if you take the proper care of your motorcycle it will take care of you.

+1, My two Sherco's didn't come with grease. I don't use grease but I add extra FFO to the sealing area and no issues in over 10 years. My past bikes also had a better filter design where it was nearly impossible to leave any gaps or loose filters.

25 minutes ago, weantright said:

You haven't been around long enough!

Lol.  Been reading how this guy is constantly altering and messing with the bike and constantly having problems for the past 2 years. 

Greasing the filter lip and proper air filter maintenance is basic dirt bike prep 101. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, firffighter said:

You're experience with your Beta is unique for sure,  in that I've never seen any other Beta owner have more issues than you have. 

I also ride about 5 times as often as the average rider.

I have had only one problem with my Beta:  a defective/ poorly made airbox.  

Everything else has just been the symptoms of that disease, and my goal to make the power  delivery a bit more agressive.

All other discussions regard my need  to change the Ergonomics for my 6' 4" frame with knees that don't bend and shoulders that don't work, and to improve MY Beta for MY needs.  

The never ending back-handed comments about my ALWAYS INFORMATIVE POSTS and useful information that I have shared in my quest to make my Beta as good as it can be are very tiresome. 

If you don't like what I post, then move along and go somewhere else. 

I don't need posters implying that I am stupid, irrational, OCD, or just plain crazy to make the modifcations I make. 

22 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

If you don't like what I post, then move along and go somewhere else.

Right back at ya. You don't own this thread. 

Claiming you ride more than anyone doesn't make you anymore special than posting more than anyone. Plenty of guys have thousands of miles on their FI Beta's without the constant problems you've had. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firffighter said:

Right back at ya. You don't own this thread. 

Claiming you ride more than anyone doesn't make you anymore special than posting more than anyone. Plenty of guys have thousands of miles on their FI Beta's without the constant problems you've had. 

Yet here you still are, posting up drivel.   

Still with the condesending attitude and implications.

I don't care what you think, because you are always insulting and personal, and have little to contribute other than you constant dissatisfaction with what you read. 

Only a moron would yell at the sun for being to bright.....

Edited by THE KRAN

54 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Yet here you still are, posting up drivel.   

Still with the condesending attitude and implications.

I don't care what you think, because you are always insulting and personal, and have little to contribute other than you constant dissatisfaction with what you read. 

Only a moron would yell at the sun for being to bright.....

No implications, just red flags all over the place when I read your posts. 

Immediately going to insults when someone simply disagrees with you. Usually a pretty solid sign. 

Saying you ride 5x's more than the average rider, yet you only had 106 hrs on your '16 in April when it was rebuilt!  Hell, rebuilding a motor at 106 hrs! 

Claiming the funnel-web is affecting your throttle response. Funnel-web been around for several years with many running/racing with them, your the only one I've ever heard claim this. 

Stating there is no such thing as a stepper motor reset, yet there was a service bulletin stating otherwise.

Not recognizing you weren't getting a proper seal on your airfilter for over a year!

Huge red flags! 

But, you seem to think your the Beta FI authority? 

I'll continue to enjoy my '17 390, 95 hrs, zero problems! 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

I run 4 filters with my 16 250rr RE, 1 Funnel Web, 2 Apico and 1 proX. The Apico and the proX look identical other than the color. And the look like the Twin Air. Ive heard Twin air makes all 3. Not sure if thats 100% true but they all look the same.  The funnel web filter runs the same as the rest of my filters. I don't notice any difference. It has a great sealing surface, but after a season of use in rotation with the other filters. It is showing its age much faster than the ProX or Apico's. In my opinon the funnel web is not worth it for the extra $. The Apico filters are the cheapest and like i said look identical to the ProX and Twin air. Ive never had an issue. I use NoToil Green. 

http://www.apico.co.uk/portfolio/air-filters/

After looking at the web site it says right there they are made by Twin air. 

Edited by ONyX711
  • Like 1

I’ve always been a purchaser and user of Twin Air’s, yet decided to try a Funnel Web filter which I like. The sealing surface “seems” to be thicker, slightly. Yet during this change-over to the Funnel Web I started using UNI foam filter oil (non-aerosol) which is easy to over oil the filter, but trying to squeeze out all extra juice as much as possible. Yet I sense the Funnel Web does create a very very slight richness to my carbureted 2014 Beta 450, possible just the choice in filter oil don’t know. I’ve used this same oil years ago on my Twin Air filters also and never saw any differences.

No biggie just an observation.......

• Like 2

I'm always surprised when I see people have issues with their filters sealing. With filter design on modern bikes I haven't seen the need for filter grease on any of them. I use No Toil, and I've never seen dirt or dust get into the air boot. I check every single time with a flashlight as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goatse said:

I'm always surprised when I see people have issues with their filters sealing. With filter design on modern bikes I haven't seen the need for filter grease on any of them. I use No Toil, and I've never seen dirt or dust get into the air boot. I check every single time with a flashlight as well.

I have never had a need for grease until I used No Toil. I did not use grease with it and when I removed the filter for the first cleaning it has STUCK to the airbox and was ruined as it tore away. It was a huge pain to get all the residue off the airbox so it was smooth and clean again.  Using grease now but will be going back to BelRay when I run out of the no toil. Just too much trouble and mess.

I have never had a need for grease until I used No Toil. I did not use grease with it and when I removed the filter for the first cleaning it has STUCK to the airbox and was ruined as it tore away. It was a huge pain to get all the residue off the airbox so it was smooth and clean again.  Using grease now but will be going back to BelRay when I run out of the no toil. Just too much trouble and mess.
That's strange. I've never even heard of that. Grease is supposed to be for a better seal, not to prevent the filter from fusing to the Airbox.

I've used NoToil on over 10 different dirtbikes, and have never even close to had a filter stick to the Airbox. Even on the bikes that sit all winter long without moving.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-wrench-tech-20-most-important-filter-facts-known-to-man/

Guys have been using waterproof grease to help seal for decades. 

Airfilters can sometimes stick to the airbox ripping the material when removed, the grease prevents this from happening as well as peace of mind on sealing. 

I, personally don't use No Toil any longer. Tried it about 10 years ago and felt more confident in good old Belray. No Toil been used by many reputable guys as well, but also some controversy over it,  most likely much to do about nothing. 

Kerosene-air dry/ soapy water-air dry/ oil filter immersed in tub with Belray/gentle squeeze-sit dry/ clean air box/ install.  Replace air filter yearly, cheap insurance. My procedure. Lots of other ways to do it out there.

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

That's strange. I've never even heard of that. Grease is supposed to be for a better seal, not to prevent the filter from fusing to the Airbox.

I've used NoToil on over 10 different dirtbikes, and have never even close to had a filter stick to the Airbox. Even on the bikes that sit all winter long without moving.

Hope you continue with that, its a real pain to remove.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firffighter said:

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-wrench-tech-20-most-important-filter-facts-known-to-man/

Guys have been using waterproof grease to help seal for decades. 

Airfilters can sometimes stick to the airbox ripping the material when removed, the grease prevents this from happening as well as peace of mind on sealing. 

I, personally don't use No Toil any longer. Tried it about 10 years ago and felt more confident in good old Belray. No Toil been used by many reputable guys as well, but also some controversy over it,  most likely much to do about nothing. 

Kerosene-air dry/ soapy water-air dry/ oil filter immersed in tub with Belray/gentle squeeze-sit dry/ clean air box/ install.  Replace air filter yearly, cheap insurance. My procedure. Lots of other ways to do it out there.

This thread does seem curious to me from the start. I mean it’s just putting on a  an air filter. I learned this when I was 7 with my Honda 50 with my Dad. It’s very simple. Still it’s good to read intently to see what I might be missing and seeing others strategies and experience.  I’m learning of what further improvement I can do for my bikes with what products are available for Beta but I don’t think I’m going to change what I’m doing. It does make me wonder about how much more critical the seal on air filters might be though. Idk. Like I said I’m just reading ... I use a variety of air filters but not the funnel one.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 12:23 PM, firffighter said:

No implications, just red flags all over the place when I read your posts. 

Immediately going to insults when someone simply disagrees with you. Usually a pretty solid sign. 

Saying you ride 5x's more than the average rider, yet you only had 106 hrs on your '16 in April when it was rebuilt!  Hell, rebuilding a motor at 106 hrs! 

Claiming the funnel-web is affecting your throttle response. Funnel-web been around for several years with many running/racing with them, your the only one I've ever heard claim this. 

Stating there is no such thing as a stepper motor reset, yet there was a service bulletin stating otherwise.

Not recognizing you weren't getting a proper seal on your airfilter for over a year!

Huge red flags! 

But, you seem to think your the Beta FI authority? 

I'll continue to enjoy my '17 390, 95 hrs, zero problems! 

My god you are an annoying person.

I have ( 3 ) bikes and ride a minimum of 250 hours a year.

I don't need your help, or comments or personal attacks.

I am the FIRST person to call out ecu reset details/procedures in the beta forum. I contacted Synerject regarding what the procedure was, and how it worked.

....and ALL FI motorcycles have this procedure, and it is not 'resetting' the stepper motor, it resetting the ecu. The stepper motor is just a solioid, and has no logic.  It cannot be 'reset'. People continue to call it that, and I don't care, even though it is technically incorrect.

Why do you have a personal vendata against me and my posts.  I WOULD LIKE AN ANSWER.  I think you owe the other posters here and explanation for your terrible behavior.

I will no longer be responding to any of your posts, no matter how incorrect they are. I will PM the person that thinks you are being correct, and let them know you have an personal twisted agenda.

I suggest you seek proffesional help.

Edited by THE KRAN

This Beta forum, has a strong "my way or the highway" tone.  Any time someone questions anything posted, acting threatened and immediately go to insults is the norm. I came on here over a year ago hoping this would be a great place for discussion, but I found you and many others incapable of discussing anything and putting down anyone who asked a simple question. I played nice, danced around those who were the most critical in their posts. I received 3 PM's warning me about you when I first asked you a few questions. I shook it off and simply wanted to have a real discussion thinking surely these guys are capable of adult conversation. I was wrong! 

But, I realized, who cares. It's a forum that's supposed to be helpful and assist each other in Beta ownership. So, why not tell the truth. 

I don't owe you or anyone else here an explanation, it's a forum where we are free to express our opinions. You demanding an explanation only reinforces to me your attitude and how you see things. You aren't owed anything, and now you are going to play the victim with your posting history and reputation, that's rich. 

It's simple. I have never seen more self inflicted issues on a Beta, period, and I would never follow yours or anyone's advice who was continually messing with their bike resulting in failure, yet placing blame elsewhere.

You didn't understand the stepper motor reset process, as outlined in a service bulletin from Beta. I personally talked with the Beta USA rep. 

Your '16 had 106hrs on it in April when you had it rebuilt. 

You weren't getting a seal in your air filter for over a year and couldn't find the problem. 

Now your an air filter tester, bashing Twin Air, now blaming Funnel web on rich conditions. 

Enough red flags for me! 

There's some really solid reliable sources for information on the FI Beta's, for me it's important to find those and look beyond those simply posting more than anyone else. It's worth it to me to wade through the misinformation to get to good information because I care about my bike's performance and long term reliability. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, OKDinosaur said:

Bust out the rulers and cameras boys, and let’s settle this once and for all! 

Lol! 

How about busting out this comparison: Bike getting rebuilt at 106 hrs. vs all of the guys with hundreds of hrs with solid performance with zero problems! 

Still not reading my posts. 

The air box was defective. All the grease IN THE WORLD would not prevent the problem.

The air box surface is bowed, and you could slide a straight edge right under the greased/ install air filter, with no resistance. 

The air box, using a Twin-air airbox cover ,modified with a hose nipple and compressed air, proved that the air box sealing edge leaked, no matter how hard you clamped the cover  in place or how much grease.  0 psi of pressure.  This is even with the installed thin neoprene gasket already on the Twinair cover.

It REQUIRED a layer of neoprene gasket AND a neoprene lipped filter to take up the gap. 

Now it seals fine.  It had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING A TWINAIR FILTER OR HOW IT WAS INSTALLED. 

If you feel COMPELLED to respond to a post, perhaps you should get the whole story first. 

If you feel COMPELLED to post insults, slander, and lies, YOU WILL BE REPORTED.  Byan Bosch takes lying and petty slander seriously.

I  still think Twin air filters have an sealing foam that is too thin and too porus. 

I still KNOW that the Funnelweb filter is more restrictive, causing a richer condition.

Put one up to your face and try and breath through it. Compare to a regular filter.

Now add the filter oil ! 

Impossibe not to notice the difference, unless you are just a hack-goof-ball.   

.........END OF TRANSMISSION ...........

Edited by THE KRAN
idiots with tiny minds trying to make themselves look smart and feel big