1993 XR80R HUGE PROJECT!!!

A little background. My gf has a 10 year old son that grew up with a little Chinese 50cc bike. Now that he is older, he is way too big for the bike and hasn’t really rode in a couple of years. We talked about finding a new bike for him to do some trail riding with me.... so low and behold, within a couple of days she finds a 1993 XR80R with an extra frame, extra front end, and extra bottom end of the engine for $75 delivered to the house. We pulled up to what appeared to be a personal junk yard. The owner could only tell me that he bought it non running as a project for his son, stuck it outside next to the barn, and didn’t touch it for 5 years. Myself, being project happy all the time, spoke before I really thought about it and said “Sure! I can rebuild it!” So there it was... it found its way back to her home.

First order of business was to discover just how bad it was going to be. I pulled the engine and tore off the top end. Piston rings stuck and some scoring on the cylinder. It measured at 47.5 and appeared to be the original piston. Crank feels pretty tight, but could probably use a good flush. Kickstarter doesn’t return, and someone has covered the clutch cover mating surface in gasket sealer. I can work with this! A 48mm piston and gasket kit has been ordered. Next on the list will be tearing the bike the rest of the way down to sandblast and paint. Sitting outside for 5 years took its toll on everything. Oxidation, rust, and every piece of plastic is faded... the seat is trashed... It’s missing the side panels... tires dry rotted... you get the picture. I plan to document the process for you all to enjoy. I will have pictures posted tomorrow to show some before and after of the rebuild. Wish me luck!

Also, if anyone has a service manual PDF it would be extremely appreciated!

Sounds like you have your hands full! I'm always eager to try getting projects like that, but financial times aren't always that great, and they get put on hold. 

We'r got my girlfriend's son a crf50 a couple christmases ago and he's since grown out of it, and I'm looking to get him something bigger as well, probably same as you, an xr/crf 80. Maybe make it a project for us to work on together. 

Good luck on the bike, keep us posted on the progress! 

As for the manual, you can get a Honda manual on Ebay for not much, I think. Maybe someone on here has a pdf copy for you though

Edited by Daniel627
Forgot some stuff

So have you gotten started on the project yet? I picked up a 2000 XR80R yesterday for $80. It's gonna need a lot of work, but hell, I could do a 120cc build on it, refresh everything and have it back to damn near brand new condition for under $1000. Or stick with the 80 top end and do it all for like $500. We shall see. 

Either way, mine will be a build I'll do over time

5 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

So have you gotten started on the project yet? I picked up a 2000 XR80R yesterday for $80. It's gonna need a lot of work, but hell, I could do a 120cc build on it, refresh everything and have it back to damn near brand new condition for under $1000. Or stick with the 80 top end and do it all for like $500. We shall see. 

Either way, mine will be a build I'll do over time

Unfortunately, the 120cc kit only works on XR100's.  You can put a 95cc kit on it.  

And I would like to see an update on the original post too.  I love projects.  I did three over the last year or two.  

Engines Only shows a 120cc kit for the crf/xr80, $500.

Their website sucks and isn't worth a shit. It's hard to tell shit about shit on there. Every time you click a link it gives the 404 error.

Anybody ever do business with them? 

I'll keep posted on the one I just bought. However it's going to be a slow rolling project that'll be done bit by bit.

I've been spending a lot of time today to find upgrades and mods to do to it but haven't come across jack crap for suspension mods or anything else. Any ideas? Might just say hell with it and build it stock.

Screenshot_20180901-143148_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c971855217eb3ad09cd2db54598faddc.jpg

Holy crap!!! That's cool.  I didn't know they had one.   I wonder what piston they used.  Yea, Frank's stuff is pretty good.  He's been doing it for years.  Just know the cases have to be bored.  

Engines only has good products. Frank is awesome with Honda minis, but best to call him.

Also if you decide on a cam and bbk get franks slotted cam sprocket. Takes a little patience and time to degree the cam but great top end performance. Frank has some solid numbers for the settings.