2003 CR250 Build

I have recently acquired a decent 2003 CR250 and I will be using this machine as a project build. I am asking for a few suggestions on what you guys would mod or leave the same on the bike?!

(Motor) I have contacted Terry Varner, he will be

Decking the head, matching the cases, porting, new crank (OEW) & piston (two ring wiseco), tune carb with float adjustment, new seals and bearings all the way around, new water pump, and installing a Hinson clutch.

I have ordered the new polisport conversion plastics, Vortex ignition, Mag stator cover, Magura Hyd Clutch (I have one on my 14 YZ250 and love it), White hoses, and I will be powder coating the bike "Flatter black" from prizmatic powders.

so question #1. FMF, Pro circuit, or DEP?

#2 Will a newer XTRIG, RG3, or APPLIED triple clamp from a CRF work on the bike? If so what years will do a straight across conversion? (22mm offset) I really don't want stock looking triple clamps.

#3 I will be getting the fork tubes and shock body Kashima coated. Would you guys recommend sending them into Factory Connection (some trick parts but $$$$ I can include the parts listing quote) or Mike at Crow Performance (If you know him)? I have had both before but looking for your opinion. I'm 6'3 220 B rider.

I would like to save some money and get the Tusk rim and hub setup from Rock mountain (539$) rather than going my normal route of A60 and Dubya hubs.... Does anyone have experience with the tusk wheels?

If I have enough standing money left over I will be purchasing the CMT flush lid tank... I am open to any and all suggestions and would absolutely appreciate the help! I will be adding progress pics along the way starting tonight! Its almost the weekend!

• Like 1

Looking forward to this build, as I'm planning a similar one myself. How'd you get in touch with Varner? He doesn't seem to check his Facebook page lol. 
By the way, hope to see plenty of progress pics

I simply called him from the number on his website. No answer, but he called me back within the hour. Very nice guy, explained in detail what my bike would need to be the idea I have in my head. Even without a payment or really any promise to send the motor to him, he was still very informative (not like most local shops) not the typical “yeah bring it in we will quote you”. He’s upfront with his prices, and worth the price for the talent/experience IMO.
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 8:11 PM, Jdavis352 said:

I simply called him from the number on his website. No answer, but he called me back within the hour. Very nice guy, explained in detail what my bike would need to be the idea I have in my head. Even without a payment or really any promise to send the motor to him, he was still very informative (not like most local shops) not the typical “yeah bring it in we will quote you”. He’s upfront with his prices, and worth the price for the talent/experience IMO.

Good choice.  I've had a couple of conversations with him dating back to 2003 when I thought about using him on my CR2.  Most recently talked to him about doing an 04 CR2 cyl. / head a couple of months ago.  He was gracious with his time even though he's a busy guy & we talked engine mods for about 45 minutes.   No guarantee I was going to send him my parts, but he still shared some good info & learned a couple of things during our conversation.  More than likely he will be getting one of my 2T engines in the future.  Very knowledgeable guy.  

Will be following your thread for a ride report.    

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

My 03 with the Tusk wheelset. Had them on several different bikes, definetly money well spent! Do yourself a big favor and ditch the mikuni carb for a Keihin PWK airstriker. Best mod for the money!
IMG_20170101_120425.jpg.66d3cf473537e12234cdf42fee9f9c2f.jpg

I asked terry about replacing the carb but I guess he has some tricks up his sleeve to get it right. That’s a clean bike too [emoji1362]

So a buddy that rides with me is without a bike at the moment... So I offered to let him ride the CR before I tear her down this weekend. We went to Pala “Fox raceway” this morning. No more than 45 minuets being there, his foot slips as he kicks the bike over and bam freak accident! The kicker went into his leg right were the the tibia meets the knee. ? So tear down starts tonight hahahaha IMG_1047.jpeg

13 hours ago, Keith72 said:

The mikuni is a good carb. I did the keihin conversion and went back to the mikuni. S7 needle jet is the key.

Yep.  I also tested with the Keihin PWK about 8 yrs. back & ended up going back to the Mikuni TMX.   Also tried the JD kit 10 yrs. back on the Mikuni & preferred the Mikuni needles over the JD needles. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mx4life320 said:

I am also working on a 2003 CR250. I am interested in the stock exhaust, if your willing to sell.   Please let me know.  Also, very interested in your jetting.  Im having a hell of a time right now.  Have an S-7 needle jet on the way, hoping that helps a lot

I am running the S7 needle jet with the 6BEY30-74 needle (stock needle from 2002 cr250) clip second from the top. 27.5 pilot 390 main. Runs like a striped ass zebra. If you do long full throttle runs or deep sand you may want to bump up the main to a 400.

Edited by Keith72
  • Like 1

I am also working on a 2003 CR250. I am interested in the stock exhaust, if your willing to sell.   Please let me know.  Also, very interested in your jetting.  Im having a hell of a time right now.  Have an S-7 needle jet on the way, hoping that helps a lot

If you want the exhaust I’ll take some pics tomorrow and you can give me what you feel it’s worth. No problem!

12 hours ago, Keith72 said:

I am running the S7 needle jet with the 6BEY30-74 needle (stock needle from 2002 cr250) clip second from the top. 27.5 pilot 390 main. Runs like a striped ass zebra. If you do long full throttle runs or deep sand you may want to bump up the main to a 400.

Yea,I am having a hard time finding the Needle. No one has it in stock. Dont trust ebay enough to pull the trigger on it. If you have an extra one, let me know, HA. But yes, Im running the same pilot and main. Thanks.