ASP1227

1983 XR200R rebuild

I’ve had this old XR for years, learned the basics on it. Bought it cheap from a guy and never really looked at the engine. Did regular oil changes, kept the air-filter, clean, basic maintenance. It’s been running a little rough lately, figured it was time to tear into it. Got the engine out of the frame and tore the top end down. This is my first 4t top end, have only done 2 strokes prior to this, did a complete overhaul on my ‘86 CR250. This will be sort of a learning experience for me, and hopefully for other people working on their bikes. Here’s where I’m at as of now. How does the head/valves look? The cylinder is going to get cleaned up, new piston. Anyone know where I can get a more powerful cam for this bike by any chance? Or maybe a way to bump compression a little? I would like to get some more pep out of this bike as well. IMG_6054.JPGIMG_6057.JPGIMG_6058.JPGIMG_6059.JPGIMG_6060.JPGIMG_6062.JPGIMG_6063.JPGIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6065.JPGIMG_6066.JPGIMG_6067.JPGIMG_6068.JPGIMG_6069.JPG

Cylinder has a little nick in it, can just barely feel it with my finger nail. Probably will either get it honed or bored. Crank is good, no up/down play. Already have new stem seals, valve keepers, timing chain, gaskets, and other small stuff. Going to order a new piston and maybe new valves, depending on what everyone says here. Thanks guys

Cleaned the head tonight with scotch brite pad and carb cleaner, much better now, no carbon. IMG_6093.JPG

How much $ are you willing to spend on the rebuild?

Don’t want to break the bank but I am going to do it right. Probably going to be around $500

I know your currently at harvest, but how is this going?

I got an 83 XR200R that needs the carb rebuilt and some bushings in the swing arm.

Plus I have an 87 that needs motor work and a front wheel assembly. 

Not sure if I want to just fix the 83 or mix and match parts to do one. Maybe I should fix the 83 now and do the 87 next winter.

My biggest dilemma is my current bike is EFI and electric start, so I'm kinda spoiled and I like it that way. Plus I like having disc brakes front and rear.

• Like 1

It’s coming along well. Top end is almost assembled, kept it stock with new valve springs, seals, piston, rings, gaskets, etc. pretty easy. Didn’t do any crazy cam stuff or anything cuz at then end of the day it’ll only gain like 5 hp, and that’s not much when we’re talking maybe 10-15 hp tops. Just trying to figure out how to get the timing chain on the cam. It’s my first 4t top end lol.

1 minute ago, ASP1227 said:

It’s coming along well. Top end is almost assembled, kept it stock with new valve springs, seals, piston, rings, gaskets, etc. pretty easy. Didn’t do any crazy cam stuff or anything cuz at then end of the day it’ll only gain like 5 hp, and that’s not much when we’re talking maybe 10-15 hp tops. Just trying to figure out how to get the timing chain on the cam. It’s my first 4t top end lol.

Been too long since I had mine apart. Maybe rock (sprocket end low and other end pointed up) cam over and put chain on sprocket then set it in place and bolt caps on.

If not sure someone with more recent experience will chime in.

• Like 1

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Just haven’t messed around with it enough lol. Need to open the manual and see how it says to do it, it’s a Clymer manual though, I don’t like those very much, I like original Honda manuals better, have that for the CRs, love that damn book, it’s my bible lol.

If I could find my Honda manual I'd take a picture to post, but I have no clue where the hell it is! It should turn up next week when we move lol.

Hope you get it figured out before then. But if not I'll send pictures of the procedures

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RudeJeepin said:

I know your currently at harvest, but how is this going?

I got an 83 XR200R that needs the carb rebuilt and some bushings in the swing arm.

Plus I have an 87 that needs motor work and a front wheel assembly. 

Not sure if I want to just fix the 83 or mix and match parts to do one. Maybe I should fix the 83 now and do the 87 next winter.

My biggest dilemma is my current bike is EFI and electric start, so I'm kinda spoiled and I like it that way. Plus I like having disc brakes front and rear.

I've owned both early and late XR200Rs and IMO the best chassis for trail riding is the 86-91. All of the engines are basically the same but there are differences, and  87+ is the best. 86+ have a longer counter shaft to suite the rear wheel offset and tire clearance so should be used in the 86+ chassis. Also the 86+ electrics are better.

I also have an estart bike but my modded XR200R is my fav bike for tight ST. And although the engine is a Powroll 218 proper jetting makes it easy to start. 

• Like 2

Hey guys. Working on the XR today, the goal is to have the engine assembled by days end, gotta free up my work bench lol. So, I’m at the point now where I need to get the timing chain on the cam and crank gears. Any trick to this? I’m having a hard time getting it on the cam if it’s on the crank and vice versa.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Hey guys. Working on the XR today, the goal is to have the engine assembled by days end, gotta free up my work bench lol. So, I’m at the point now where I need to get the timing chain on the cam and crank gears. Any trick to this? I’m having a hard time getting it on the cam if it’s on the crank and vice versa.

Did you get it yet? BEFORE bolting the cam gear to the shaft, put the chain on the crank gear, then on the cam gear. Be sure to loosen the tensioner all the way first. Once you get it on and the bolts in, check about 40 times that your timing is correct before putting it all back together. It is super easy to be 180 degrees off. I ended up sticking a pencil in the spark plug hole so I could easily tell where I was in the piston stroke.

I have the Clymer and Honda shop manuals for 81-83 XR200R's so let me know if you need something out of them.

Edited by Sidefly
updated
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sidefly said:

Did you get it yet? BEFORE bolting the cam gear to the shaft, put the chain on the crank gear, then on the cam gear. Be sure to loosen the tensioner all the way first. Once you get it on and the bolts in, check about 40 times that your timing is correct before putting it all back together. It is super easy to be 180 degrees off. I ended up sticking a pencil in the spark plug hole so I could easily tell where I was in the piston stroke.

I have the Clymer and Honda shop manuals for 81-83 XR200R's so let me know if you need something out of them.

So one more thing, I had to pull or push the tensioner to give the chain slack to get the cam gear onto the shaft. 

• Like 1

Ok sounds good. Going to work on it in a bit actually lol, was busy running errands all day. I need to dig out my clymer shop manual for it. I’ll give that a shot though. Only thing, I don’t recall the cam being held down with anything other than the valve cover I think, I could be wrong though.

2 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

Ok sounds good. Going to work on it in a bit actually lol, was busy running errands all day. I need to dig out my clymer shop manual for it. I’ll give that a shot though. Only thing, I don’t recall the cam being held down with anything other than the valve cover I think, I could be wrong though.

you are correct. The shaft is held down by the cover, but the cam gear bolts to the end of the shaft. It has a special lip the the gear sits on. I kept it just off the lip enough to work the chain on it, then wiggled the tensioner enough to get the gear onto the camshaft. I think you have to push the tensioner downward (the tensioner near the crank).

• Like 1

you are correct. The shaft is held down by the cover, but the cam gear bolts to the end of the shaft. It has a special lip the the gear sits on. I kept it just off the lip enough to work the chain on it, then wiggled the tensioner enough to get the gear onto the camshaft. I think you have to push the tensioner downward (the tensioner near the crank).

Oh got it. I’ll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

Oh got it. I’ll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

check your messages. I sent you some info.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic . I got it all together and gave it a turn manually at the crank with a ratchet and found the valves are hitting the piston, double checked and my crank cam timing was off by a hair 🤦‍♂️. Going to retry again tomorrow. Got fed up with it for now and decided to call it quits before I break something in frustration.