Are all rotors created equal?

2017 YZ250FX stock 270mm rotor. 

Factory rotor is toast, need to upgrade. 

Wanting to switch to non floating for the added bite that some say they provide. 

Question is, do the variois brands (braking,EBC,galfer ect..) offer the same performance? I don’t really care about longevity, within reason, I’m mainly after performance. 

Bite is actually better with a floater however, with a  floating caliper, the advantage is insignificant. Most braking issues are due to burnt rotors, trashed pads or unmaintained rotors/brake system. Any new OEM brake will perform a stoppie with ease. New parts are simply new parts. The only critical part is pad to rotor match. Some work better cold (Enduros/Desert racing) other provide more braking when fully heated (MX/SuperMoto) others are better trails (cold, wet, muddy). Pure performance on a front brake, all OEM with a steel braided, properly bled line is the ticket.

• Like 3

meh.  I run the $40 per set chinese rotors on my KTM.   I ride at an intermediate/expert pace.   very very tight, rocky, dangerous single track with cliffs everywhere, braking is very important.    my chinese rotors and 9$ RMATV neutron discount pads have worked just fine for 119 engine hours now.   I think I changed pads once.  rotors still fine. bike stops just fine, itll lock both tires in 5th gear off road. what more do ya want?    no complaints on my end from the cheapies.

rotors are all the same to me.

I’ve read good reviews of the galfer skw.

For non floating, basically every reputable brand will be the same, performance wise and longevity wise.

I prefer to support companies that actually design their own products (galfer, braking, ebc, brembo, etc), but the Tusk Chinese rotors get the job done just fine too at half the cost but double the shame.

• Like 1

I was only curious on quality brands. Things will have to get pretty rough before I put a tusk rotor on my bike. 

Gonna try tha galfer. 

• Like 3

I was only curious on quality brands. Things will have to get pretty rough before I put a tusk rotor on my bike. 

Gonna try tha galfer. 

Tusk doesn’t manufacture their parts, they buy parts from a different manufacturer and put their name on it. I have steel braided brake likes that I bought as Tusk, but there is Galfer labeling on the brake line itself.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Tusk doesn’t manufacture their parts, they buy parts from a different manufacturer and put their name on it. I have steel braided brake likes that I bought as Tusk, but there is Galfer labeling on the brake line itself.

There are some rebranded Tusk products that are a good deal.

They also contract directly with their Chinese manufacturer for a lot of their parts which are sold only under the Tusk name, or one of the other brands owned by RM (like Primary Drive). 

12 hours ago, woods-rider said:

Several years ago I brought my brake drums off my Jeep to the local Napa shop to get machined.  They screwed up one of the drums, someone bumped the machine into reverse and gouged the drum.  So they gave me a new drum.  I didn't want to pay their price for a matching one so I went down to Autozone and bought one for 1/3 less money.  Guess what.  The drums were the same drum, had the same numbers stamped into them, just came in an Autozone box and a (more expensive) NAPA box.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Several years ago I brought my brake drums off my Jeep to the local Napa shop to get machined.  They screwed up one of the drums, someone bumped the machine into reverse and gouged the drum.  So they gave me a new drum.  I didn't want to pay their price for a matching one so I went down to Autozone and bought one for 1/3 less money.  Guess what.  The drums were the same drum, had the same numbers stamped into them, just came in an Autozone box and a (more expensive) NAPA box.

As a former professional mechanic, that is not always the case.

im sure some of the cheaper companies have *some* decent products. I’m not interested in taking a chance, doing the research to find out if it’s good, or simply willing to run that brand. 

You can still get lemons from “big name companies” (see my cycra thread) but I feel better with the name brand stuff.  

Just now, LukeYZ426F said:

As a former professional mechanic, that is not always the case.

im sure some of the cheaper companies have *some* decent products. I’m not interested in taking a chance, doing the research to find out if it’s good, or simply willing to run that brand. 

You can still get lemons from “big name companies” (see my cycra thread) but I feel better with the name brand stuff.  

Not always, but what I posted is a good example of what can happen.

• Like 1

I’m not interested in doing the research to find out if it’s good

IMG_2088.JPG

• Like 1

galfer floater, galfer metallic pads.

Great initial bite!

I had their line, and everyone that rode my bike complimented the front brake.

The line however i didnt like the construction of there were a few rubber bits that rotted right away.

Now i have a motostuff pro brake line thats like 130$ and its titties, even less lever throw and firmer feel. Its super small diameter, and braided so there is less fluid, and less material to bulge.

They have standardbraided  line thats more reasonable in cost, id do that or a goodridge line.

7 hours ago, cdf450 said:

IMG_2088.JPG

emoji849.png

No offense, but those reviews are probably the worst way to tell if the product is actually decent. Most brake rotor reviews on Motosport and RM go something like this “looks great!” “Bent factory one, bought this one”. 

I dont think we will agree on this, but I respect your opinion and am glad you have had good luck with brands like tusk. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EnglertRacing said:

galfer floater, galfer metallic pads.

Great initial bite!

I had their line, and everyone that rode my bike complimented the front brake.

The line however i didnt like the construction of there were a few rubber bits that rotted right away.

Now i have a motostuff pro brake line thats like 130$ and its titties, even less lever throw and firmer feel. Its super small diameter, and braided so there is less fluid, and less material to bulge.

They have standardbraided  line thats more reasonable in cost, id do that or a goodridge line.

Rotor pads and master cylinder rebuild kit will be here this week. Got a race this weekend so I’ll be able to test it out. 

I want that brake line bad. I’ve had the tab open to it on my phone for a few weeks. Been spending a lot of time and money mountain biking and haven’t been spending the money on my dirtbike :(   

My original plan was to buy that line and a new rotor. Over the weekend I rode an 18 YZ250FX, brand new bone stock and his front brakes were amazing. I’ve tried more aggressive pads and have a braking braided line and they were no where close to the performance (even when mine was new). Made me think I might have some faulty parts, that’s why I ordered the rebuild kit. Front line is next. Which size did you go with?

6 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Never had a problem with a Tusk part.  Both our CRF450Rs are running Tusk wheels.

I have actually read some very good stuff about tusk wheels. 

Pull the trigger on the line man.

I feel like them saying be careful and practice with the line is a little far, and slighly subliminal.  What it does do is make for a rock hard instand lever which is NICE.

If mine somehow got cut id buy another...  

• Like 1