YZ125 loud airbox noise help??

My yz is making a sort of thumping noise from the air box. The engine noise is fine when you’re close to the pipe but if you are closer to the air box it sounds really weird. I checked the reeds and they seem pretty good. Help?

Edited by Oppose

Sucking air? Is there anything in the airbox or the boot? Is the filter cage cracked?

Definitely not the sound of sucking air. I removed the airbox altogether and ran an open carb and the sound was different but still existent. I don’t think the filter cage is cracked.
Squirrel cage bearing wearing out? 
Post a vid.. 

Here’s a vid

Well, your filter looks a little old. You have it over saturated, and starving for air? Always squeeze out the excessive filter oil prior to installation. 

Yeah filter is dirty cause I’ve been focusing on rebuilding and getting it running before cleaning the filter but over saturated? If I remember correctly when I oiled it I squeezed it out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours

1 minute ago, Oppose said:

Yeah filter is dirty cause I’ve been focusing on rebuilding and getting it running before cleaning the filter but over saturated? If I remember correctly when I oiled it I squeezed it out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours

Clean inspect everything, before chasing phantoms in the dark. 

1 minute ago, Oppose said:

And I ran it without the airbox altogether and it sounded different but still like there was something up

Can't answer that. You'll need to inspect, inspect, inspect... 

5 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Well, your filter looks a little old. You have it over saturated, and starving for air? Always squeeze out the excessive filter oil prior to installation. 

Is it possible the float is flapping from vacuum?

2 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Wouldn't be that loud and audible from air filter. A cheap stethoscope would pinpoint whatever Op is chasing.

Figured maybe it was slapping off the bowl.

4 minutes ago, Oppose said:

The float is in the bowl so I don’t think so...

Have you checked the airboot for any cracks or chunks that may be vibrating?

If I were you, I would take the subframe off and clean the airbox and filter and leave it off. Run the bike without it and if it’s gone, you’ve narrowed it down. If not, then it’s coming from the engine. 

Weird idea, but check the base of your silencer where it meets the pipe and check if it’s cracked.

• Like 1

Have you checked the airboot for any cracks or chunks that may be vibrating?
If I were you, I would take the subframe off and clean the airbox and filter and leave it off. Run the bike without it and if it’s gone, you’ve narrowed it down. If not, then it’s coming from the engine. 
Weird idea, but check the base of your silencer where it meets the pipe and check if it’s cracked.

Airboot is good. Did what you suggested and ran it with the airbox off. I’ll see if I can link another video in a minute. The sound seemed to change but not go away. Checked the silencer as well. No cracks.