2019 CRF450r & WE ride report by Ping

Interesting to hear Ping say he didn't feel much difference from the 18 to 19 R model.  Even though Honda made a few changes to the AF chassis, swing arm, engine, exhaust & mapping etc..   Besides the engine feeling a little stronger off the bottom & frt. break as well. 

Edited by H4L

I thought it was interesting that Ping said he didn't feel much of a difference in performance between the R and RWE and Michael Lindsey from Vital MX made it sound like it was a completely different bike. Vital made a really good point though when you look at the MSRP of the RWE ($11,499) you are saving a little bit of money in what those parts actually cost to put on the bike, which most guys will want to do anyway. RS-9 mufflers, gripper seat cover, HRC graphics, kashima coated fork tubes, titanium nitride fork legs and shock, custom head porting, anodized clamps. From my calculations that would bring the final price to about $12,200. 

So, after tax, yeah you're paying for all that, but with the convenience of rolling it off the showroom floor ready to go. The only way you're really going to save money is if you can get the bike for MSRP without paying all the taxes.

Edited by dmcgill40v

12 hours ago, HRC27 said:

But what do you think of that mustache?  I hope he doesn't think that it looks good or cool. He looks like a dork....lol

LOL !  It reminds me of the early 70's when I was a kid..  Maybe he's trying to bring back that look.

12 hours ago, dmcgill40v said:

I thought it was interesting that Ping said he didn't feel much of a difference in performance between the R and RWE and Michael Lindsey from Vital MX made it sound like it was a completely different bike. Vital made a really good point though when you look at the MSRP of the RWE ($11,499) you are saving a little bit of money in what those parts actually cost to put on the bike, which most guys will want to do anyway. RS-9 mufflers, gripper seat cover, HRC graphics, kashima coated fork tubes, titanium nitride fork legs and shock, custom head porting, anodized clamps. From my calculations that would bring the final price to about $12,200. 

So, after tax, yeah you're paying for all that, but with the convenience of rolling it off the showroom floor ready to go. The only way you're really going to save money is if you can get the bike for MSRP without paying all the taxes.

I did see the vital ride report on the 19 as well with the test rider saying the 18 turned better, but the 19 was more stable in a turn.   I haven't had any issues with a bone stock 18 not being stable in any condition.  I feel the stock suspension is actually pretty good from the showroom floor.  

I thought of the upgrades to the 19 WE were a good value for the extra $ when I seen it come out a couple of months ago.  I bought an 18 in late Dec. 2017 & had I known the 19 WE was coming out I would have held off.  It looks like the extras are a good bang for the buck.   That being said I'm really happy with the 18 purchase.

2 minutes ago, HRC27 said:

Yep, good read for sure.  I think I'd be afraid to ride one, they look so sweet.  A '19 R with some of the WE stuff would be nice. ?

All RWE parts are VIN-specific so if you want to purchase a new or replacement part that is specific to the RWE you have to provide the VIN on your bike.

23 hours ago, dmcgill40v said:

All RWE parts are VIN-specific so if you want to purchase a new or replacement part that is specific to the RWE you have to provide the VIN on your bike.

this is an old game...Honda doesn't want you to buy RWE parts so you can't pass your old bike off as a RWE. Even though the parts are interchangeable with the stock bits...

so prove to me that you have a RWE or its a big fat NO...

• 4 weeks later...

Rode my buddies we450 last weekend.bike does not turn as well as the 17 .also power was too abrupt for me .it has the bling but for all that extra cash I feel the 17 18 bike will be better for the 90 percent of the average rider.looks bad ass though..suspension was def stiffer and bike is actually quieter than the oem exhaust.still a great bike .he sold his 17 model with 13hrs on it for 6000 to another friend in our group and to me that's the better end or the deal.

Edited by speedyreedy
  • Like 1

Got to ride my RWE for the first time this past Saturday. I put a 6.3 rear spring on it and set my sag at 107mm before ever riding it. I started with the stock map and ended the day a few clickers stiffer on the front forks and 1 click stiffer on the rear shock with the aggressive map. Man do i love this bike, i could start the corner in the main rut and just decide when i wanted to hop out of it and carve a new line inside. I can't wait to get some more seat time this weekend.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

5 month UPDATE:
Age/exp: 44 / 37 years
Skill level: upper intermediate
Weight: 176lbs

After putting in a bunch more hours on my 19, I can say this bike is still one of the best bikes I’ve ridden to date. I can also say the suspension is almost dialed, but will be better once I get them revalved I believe, as on huge deep whoops or g-outs it tends to blow through the stroke on me.
Also the launch control works great I must say. Took a bit to get use to but once you do it works like a champ imo. No issues or problems so far and I have over 30 hours on it.

• Like 1