Rcrawford34

1992 DR250s carburetor

I need a to buy a new carburetor, my DR was left in a barn with the air filter cover off and some mice made it into the carb and ruined it. I’ve gone to 3 shops to try and have it rebuilt with no success. And I can’t seem to find a replacement anywhere. It’s the TM33 vacuum carb I believe. I need to get back riding and love this bike I would really like to get it running again. All the parts I have. I took the plastic top off and the rubber flange inside, as well as the spring, needle jet. Also the bowl and floats and soaked it in cleaner. Nothing seems to be working. I would like to just pay someone to get it running right or ideally just buy a new one that isn’t a pumper carb. Thanks for your time

27E5D43A-14C9-40B0-8BA7-247030A1B158.jpeg

4139F0F5-C836-48F6-AE3F-2B8F0F16DBF8.jpeg

21A8AE95-4E7B-40DE-9671-EE52A6C1CEA7.jpeg

C66D4AFD-E977-4E5B-A501-18824AEC5719.jpeg

thats not a TM carb, its a BST and its the stock one for your bike. it's not a 33mm either, thats only used on DR350S & SE

Edited by plugeye

You’re correct. It’s a cv carb a mikuni BST31. Which happens to be a purple unicorn when it comes to carburetors. I’ve read about switching th throttle and adding a pumper carb, but heard that’s effected the idle and what not. I’ve also read about using the bst33 from the dr350’s, but that is apparently too much carb for the bike. I’m really looking for the exact same carburetor. Or someone who can rebuild it, or someone who has replaced the carb on their 250 and has had success with something else

Posted (edited)

I had problems and ended up installing a mikuni VM 33-34 carb.

Still wasn't right.

Stopped at Powersport superstore in Springfield Oregon.

They recommend changing the main net from the 250 large jet to 170 main jet.

Runs great. From the  Oregon coast to 9000' at Fair Play Co.

Give them a call see what they recommend.

Edited by FlamingLodge
I have a dr250 1994. Mikuni vm33-34 carb

1 hour ago, FlamingLodge said:

Hmmm, maybe that's what I need for my DR250.  Where do I find an adapter from the carb to the intake (engine)?

Posted (edited)

I am currently fighting with the BST31 Unicorn on my '93 DR250.  I might have found the right combination of main and pilot for my 7,000 ft elevation but not sure yet.  IF I didn't get it right this time, the BST31 will be for sale (it also sat in a barn for a number of years but rebuilt OK, only problem is altitude sickness.)

PS, the gas tank was rusted out, replaced with a Clarke.

Edited by McRuss
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 6:28 PM, FlamingLodge said:

Still wasn't right.

Stopped at Powersport superstore in Springfield Oregon.

They recommend changing the main net from the 250 large jet to 170 main jet.

Runs great. From the  Oregon coast to 9000' at Fair Play Co.

Give them a call see what they recommend.

So they changed the jet on your new carb? The mikuni VM33-34??

10 hours ago, Rcrawford34 said:

So they changed the jet on your new carb? The mikuni VM33-34??

I'm pretty sure that the carb is a VM32-33, not 33-34, I don't believe there is such an animal.  And yes, they changed it from the stock 250 to a 170.  FlamingLodge's DR is a 1 year newer twin to mine and I may go to the VM32-33 depending on how it performs with new pilot jet.