95 xr250r clutch reinstall

Hey all,

Recently replaced the cam chain on my XR, but now i am having a problem with reassembling the right side cover and clutch, this is my first time disassembling the right side of the bike.

I know the service manual says 6-9 ft-lb on the clutch bolts, but when i tighten to that amount, it engages it to the point that i can shift gears without doing anything else.

So i back out the clutch bolts until i can’t shift gears freely anymore, but now i can’t reinstall the side cover as the clutch sticks out too far. Also the lifter plate is fully brought back.

The Manual also says to replace the springs if shorter than a specified length, and all mine are longer than that length.

Is there something fundamental i’m overlooking here? are my springs too long? i think the springs are oem.

sounds like you have something in the wrong place?? when you tighten the clutch spring bolts it should apply pressure to the clutch plates forming the drive.

a little confusing??  engaged means engine drive through to the gear box, disengaged means no engine drive to the gear box safe to change gears.

it might pay to take the clutch off  and start again, make sure all parts are there and in the correct order.  heres a diagram from my local honda site I hope it helps.

let us know how you go..... cheers            the clutch spring length  is ok longer as they apply more pressure, shorter = less. they should all be the same length to apply even pressure.

1995 xr250 clutch.png

Edited by vicxr400

• 2 weeks later...

Upon reexamining, i realized that I had installed the clutch with the bolts too loose, and with components in the wrong order. Also i didnt really understand how the clutch worked and thought it was a bad thing that i was able to shift gears without engaging the lever while the bike was sitting.