Off road practice

So I have done two grand prix type races now...and kind of my first exposure to off road and woods racing....and being behind some these fast guys its just amazing what some of them can do in the woods....my question is to some of you fast guys is when you go to practice what kind of plan do u follow that works for you...do u just go riding on trails as fast as u can or what....keep in mind i just turned 50...but i want to hit the 50 plus class like a tornado...lol thanks

So, I'm a slow guy who, like you, wants to get better/faster. I think the answer you're going to get is that you need to practice at your own pace and not try to imitate anyone's learning curve. Some people are born with perfect pitch and can pick up playing any instrument in hours. Others work at it their entire life. I think it's the same with riding. I would start with what you're comfortable with and start adding in new techniques. There are a couple good (and fun) Enduro channels on YouTube, I just watch their videos and make a plan of what I'd like to try. Keep in mind, I'm still on item #1 on that list. If you get ahead of yourself, you're going to go over the handlebars or worse. Things come up REALLY fast in the woods, and conditions change constantly.

Anyway, just my $0.02 cents. It's not worth much ?

2 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Coming from someone whom broke his back on a log last year, don't get ahead of yourself. Riding builds on itself, like math. Each stage learned ready's you for the next.

Important words to live by! I'm sorry for your injury. May I ask what protective gear you were wearing?

2 hours ago, Horgh said:

Important words to live by! I'm sorry for your injury. May I ask what protective gear you were wearing?

I had gear, but the gear was of no value. I tried to cross a big log 20+ inches to fast..... Mistimed the front wheel hitting the log at the 2/3 mark, the front just missing the log, then the rear hit, bucking me. The biggest mistake was that I locked my arm and did a complete hand stand off my bars, my feet getting straight up in the air during the flip, coming down on my butt, my back snapped due to the force. So, one step at a time in the learning process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I had gear, but the gear was of no value. I tried to cross a big log 20+ inches to fast..... Mistimed the front wheel hitting the log at the 2/3 mark, the front just missing the log, then the rear hit, bucking me. The biggest mistake was that I locked my arm and did a complete hand stand off my bars, my feet getting straight up in the air during the flip, coming down on my butt, my back snapped due to the force. So, one step at a time in the learning process. 

Dang brother, that sounds rough, I'm really sorry. Hopefully the prognosis is good and you will ride again?

A number of years back a car pulled out in front of me on the highway, I smacked the rear bumper at about 45mph. It launched me into the fast lane, where I tumbled length-wise about a dozen times. Luckily it was traffic hour and nobody ran me over. I got up, no road rash (Roadcrafter did it's job), armor prevented any bruises, but I think the bark busters caught my clutch hand because I shattered my wrist. I have a titanium plate in there, but 4 years later it still hurts at certain angles of pressure. I worry a bit about off-road riding because sudden jolts make it ache, but I refuse to let it keep me off the bike. 

I hope your injuries heal. Stay positive! 

Edited by Horgh

Build a couple 20min and 40min practice loops. Try to consistently get your times lower over these courses. Go backwards, forwards, backwards one lap, forwards the next, all out sprint one lap, followed by two easy laps etc... Ride them on every condition and at various times, for various times... Practice with standing a whole lap or section, or just with your front brake... Etc... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horgh said:

Dang brother, that sounds rough, I'm really sorry. Hopefully the prognosis is good and you will ride again?

A number of years back a car pulled out in front of me on the highway, I smacked the rear bumper at about 45mph. It launched me into the fast lane, where I tumbled length-wise about a dozen times. Luckily it was traffic hour and nobody ran me over. I got up, no road rash (Roadcrafter did it's job), armor prevented any bruises, but I think the bark busters caught my clutch hand because I shattered my wrist. I have a titanium plate in there, but 4 years later it still hurts at certain angles of pressure. I worry a bit about off-road riding because sudden jolts make it ache, but I refuse to let it keep me off the bike. 

I hope your injuries heal. Stay positive! 

I'm good now. Was off the bike 3 months this winter. In an extreme enduro race this weekend, the same place I broke my back

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 1

I'm lucky in the fact i'm 15 min away from a place with about 25 miles of trails....so i was just wanting to know how some of the faster guys practice.....i wish i had a track closer to practice my jumping...

After realizing the vast gulf between pros and myself, I realize that I am no longer going to offer advice..... Mercy, real eye opening. LOL, my first race ever was  this weekend

Edited by 1gr8bldr

On 7/30/2018 at 9:35 AM, rm9802 said:

So I have done two grand prix type races now...and kind of my first exposure to off road and woods racing....and being behind some these fast guys its just amazing what some of them can do in the woods....my question is to some of you fast guys is when you go to practice what kind of plan do u follow that works for you...do u just go riding on trails as fast as u can or what....keep in mind i just turned 50...but i want to hit the 50 plus class like a tornado...lol thanks

Proper Technique is a must have.  I'm not sure your riding level/ability, but take a good riding course/class (I know Shane Watts does schools all over...and he is a great teacher-not all fast riders are great teachers...but there are others).  Learn proper technique, practice it so often it becomes muscle memory-even if that means going slower than your normally ride.  Then the speed will come much easier since you are riding the bike correctly-rather than fighting the bike like so many Novice and Amateur riders do.

The fast guys are also in really good shape.  To hit things (bumps, whoops, g-outs, etc.) as hard as they do, it can't be done without being physically strong, and to be able to ride the pace they ride-for as long as they do, they are in great cardio shape.  Both muscle strength, and cardio.  Work on your core muscles, butt, and legs especially.   (I really like P90X for a solid, easy-to-do-at-home exercise routine, that translates very well to riding). 

Then, its seat time.  You have to ride...A LOT.  On different types of terrain, in different riding conditions (from dry and dusty, to mud and everything in between).  Ride with fast guys, follow their lines, braking points, when they stand, when they sit, etc.  Push yourself.  You'll never get faster if you never ride out of your comfort zone, so you have for force yourself out of your comfort zone (stay on the gas longer than you think you should, get on the gas sooner, brake less, stand longer, etc. etc.).  A good mental game I play with myself is "get to the next corner as fast as you can"-I race hare and hounds usually...and rather than focus on a 100 mile race-especially if there is nobody immediately in front of me or behind me-I race to the next corner.  I get to that corner as fast as I can, and start doing that over and over again...it helps with speed and intensity.

Just my $.02.