CRF50 Pilot Jet Question

My son has a 04 CRF50 that has had issues with the carb. Earlier in the year the air screw would have to be almost all the way in in order for it to run good. Then it started to beak up anything past half throttle. So I took it apart to clean it and it is now running worse. I took out all parts and sprayed carb cleaner through everything. Took apart every thing that comes apart and sprayed. Ran a wire from a wire brush through everything I could. Put it back together and now it barely stays running when I have the throttle all the way open. 

So I assume there is an issue with the pilot jet. I cannot get the wire through the jet from the bottom (bowl end). It goes in like a mm or two and stops. I spray carb cleaner in through where the air screw goes and it will come out the pilot jet at the bottom as well on the hole on the side of the carb. So there is some flow just not enough to get a wire through the bottom side of the pilot jet. Last night I tried boiling the carb (taken apart) in water with some Dawn. I still cannot get a wire through the bottom of the pilot jet. I did a search through multple threads for hours and some people have used a lighter...which I also tried and failed. Some have used Pine Sol ....which is what I may try next. I guess I am asking #1 SHOULD I BE ABLE TO GET A WIRE THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE PILOT JET? and #2 Are there any other tricks or is there anything I am missing? I mean these carbs are very basic so there isnt much to them, 

I have also been going through this with an 04. You are correct in targeting the pilot jet. Although it is pressed in, you need to remove it and clean the tiny holes at the top and the main intake hole. Gently clasp it with pliers and turn and pull. Dont grab to hard or you will change the hole size on the end. I use brass guitar strings to poke through the holes on the side of the jet and through the main hole at the bottom. This pilot jet (which is idle to my understanding) is the smallest jet and cloggs the easiest and is usually the culprit. I am using an E string (smallest one) on a typical guitar and the next size up to get through the main hole on this jet. I found copper wire wasnt rigid enough to push through. 

if you dont remove this jet you cant get to the small holes at the top of the jet. They are on the sides right where the jet is pressed into the carb body.