Mt Clifty Flag Issue

Mt Clifty is literally hallowed ground for dirt riders in the NW. It is THE center of the Central Cascade riding area and incredibly picturesque. It is also a place where there is a rider's memorial.

This is no place for personal promotions, corporate sponsorship, fan expression for sports teams. 

The flag pictured below was raised apparently by some well intentioned bike riders, about 8 of them. Surely they meant no harm. But, this flag needs to be removed. I would have done it as soon as I saw it, but I had to first get the opinions of many of you so that this decision wasn't a solo minded idea. Apparently, we all pretty much agree.

I'm going to buy a US flag and replace the Seahawks flag. I'll put the football flag at the intersection trail so the owner (s) can pick it up. I mean no offense to those folks, and if you know who they are please let them know.

They are to be commended for putting up a good flag pole so that we can fly Old Glory above our hallowed ground and great Nation. 

Please post up your favorite pics on Mt Clifty!

IMG_4443.JPG.bc159f1af9285ab191502b1e6b3b9776.JPG

1392219413_Warriors022.JPG.3437ea29ff917acdab4b5d5b3d49589b.JPG

• Like 1

The above video is the first drone footage taken of Clifty. Fellow Thumper @Wild Alaskan visited me recently from Cordova Alaska. He brought a borrowed drone and we hit a few of the local landmarks of Little Naches. We got 4 different vid shoots done. 

Later, we headed up to White Pass and tried filming the Clear Creek Falls at White Pass. Sadly, the expensive borrowed Drone decided to commit suicide and is now resting in pieces at the bottom... if anyone is REALLY into hiking...go grab the SD card please...

• Like 1

It is public land, it's not a place to put up commercial messages. 

I've asked plenty of people that ride the area and the consensus is it needs to come down. 

I have just as much right to take it down as the misguided folks that put it up.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

51 minutes ago, catalyst721 said:

Why not just leave it ? Who are you to make that call ? You seem to think you're someone special after riding for a few years . Leave it and mind your own business , hard for you i bet . 

If it was my call, I would have taken it down as soon as I saw it on Sunday. Instead I wanted to ask for some feedback and think about it. My final input came from a guy that lives very nearby that rides there very frequently on bikes and snow machines. He is also a firefighter. I very much like that guy and think he's got impeccable judgement. He didn't stutter when he said "needs to go away".  

Sorry that you found it necessary to make your comment personal. 

• Like 2

Just now, catalyst721 said:

Sorry you get offended by a flag . Ill save my comments for in person . 

Are you one of the folks that put the flag up, behind that? 

Again, I have no ill will towards that, but it's flat out NOT APPROPRIATE. 

If you can't get that, or anyone else for that matter, then what about other flags and crap up there. It also overshadows the fallen rider memorial there too. 

It is tacky as hell. 

If you plan on visiting me in person and have a message for me, should I consider you a threat?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Are you one of the folks that put the flag up, behind that? 

Again, I have no ill will towards that, but it's flat out NOT APPROPRIATE. 

If you can't get that, or anyone else for that matter, then what about other flags and crap up there. It also overshadows the fallen rider memorial there too. 

It is tacky as hell. 

If you plan on visiting me in person and have a message for me, should I consider you a threat?

This is just your personal opinion . Doesn't reflect everyone . No threat . 

4 minutes ago, catalyst721 said:

This is just your personal opinion . Doesn't reflect everyone . No threat . 

Not just my opinion. But i do understand and respect yours. But, it's going down next time I'm up there unless someone beats me to it. People can put it right back up if they want. There, democracy. 

The only thing up there that is appropriate is an American flag, or the flag of Washington State. 

Not a Huskies flag, Cougs, Gay Pride, not a Don't Tread on Me....no Jolly Roger, no Raiders Flag....

For all the places I've ridden in this State, Mt Clifty is a symbol of the dirt riding community, it's the intersection and focal point of the entire Little Naches and Taneum riding area. The Seahawks are NOT part of that community in any way. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Not just my opinion. But i do understand and respect yours. But, it's going down next time I'm up there unless someone beats me to it. People can put it right back up if they want. There, democracy. 

The only thing up there that is appropriate is an American flag, or the flag of Washington State. 

Not a Huskies flag, Cougs, Gay Pride, not a Don't Tread on Me....no Jolly Roger, no Raiders Flag....

For all the places I've ridden in this State, Mt Clifty is a symbol of the dirt riding community, it's the intersection and focal point of the entire Little Naches and Taneum riding area. The Seahawks are NOT part of that community in any way. 

What did the Naches ranger have to say ? This is personal to you for whatever reason . Live and let live , move on . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catalyst721 said:

What did the Naches ranger have to say ? This is personal to you for whatever reason . Live and let live , move on . 

Why not just tag up every rock with some spray paint too?

This is borderline wilderness area, this is just "trash".

Again I'm going to ask. Are you one of the folks behind raising this flag?

44 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Don't Tread on Me might actually be the most appropriate flag, considering the conversation going on.   

Wikipedia - The Mount Clifty Flag War of 2018.    Started when....

...The Mount Clifty Flag War of 2018 ended in 2026 when a 3'x5' US flag made of 1/4" stainless steel welded to a 10' tall, 3" diameter flag pole was placed at the summit of Mt. Clifty sunk in 350 lbs of concrete.  The flag has since been struck several times by lightening with no ill effects. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Why not just tag up every rock with some spray paint too?

This is borderline wilderness area, this is just "trash".

Again I'm going to ask. Are you one of the folks behind raising this flag?

Now you are just being silly  . You think Ranger Rick doesn't know about the permanent flag pole ? Let them remove it as its their job , not yours . The ranger would have removed it already if they saw an issue . Maybe i am ? What does it matter ? 

• Like 1