Mt Clifty Flag Issue

1 hour ago, nw56 said:

Funny you would post this did you read it, the fourth one down Leave what you find.

The seahawks flag is neither a natural object or cultural artifact. Artifacts are considered such under the national historic preservation act under the context of something that is greater than 50 years old that is associated with an important place, person, or event, or a traditional cultural property/landscape of a native American tribe. The made-in-China, fantabulous seahawks flag, fits neither criteria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny you would post this did you read it, the fourth one down Leave what you find.
So others put up something you don't like in an area where there shouldn't be anything, and you are going to take that down and put up what you think should be there.
When you do this are you going to also install a light to illuminate the flag at night.
So a Seachickens flag is a "cultural artifact?" Meh.

Normally on this forum I have a sense of humor and enjoy having fun debates over non serious subjects.

This is actually a serious issue that could have an impact on our riding. We are loosing trails and areas to ride on a regular basis. Us the dirt biking community needs to maintain a good and positive image. We do not need to do things to negatively impact our riding areas. Do you really think concreting in a flag pole in without permission is a good thing? Why give anyone or any group reasons to take away places to ride. We need to respect the land we have to ride on . So many of us volunteer our time to maintaining the trails and keeping a good relationship with the agencies that manage the land. We don't need a few "I don't give a shit and will do whatever I want" guys ruining things for us.

Come back with your smart ass remarks. Go ahead, you're not going to ruffle my feathers or get me into a name calling contest. All your going to do is show your true colors.

• Like 4

If someone places something in the forest couldn't someone else simply remove it?  No offense intended, sarcasm intended though. Lot's of sarcasm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leftdagrid said:

If someone places something in the forest couldn't someone else simply remove it?  No offense intended, sarcasm intended though. Lot's of sarcasm.

Not if the govt is involved. Then a study would be needed. 

Kid you not, north of Tahuya at a beach, a tree fell. The govt came in and did an assessment and came up with 4 proposals to deal with the tree. It was posted near the beach trail. They claimed removing the tree would be a 2 week process. 

Repeat two time d100 adv class winner Crazy Alvin attacking Clifty on his first visit. We rode there last fall  

Rangers have removed the flag. Enjoy your rides ladies and gentlemen!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

8 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Maybe you should read the 4th one again yourself and don't stop after the first line. Yes it does say leave what you find. Then it goes on to say do not damage ,deface or remove natural objects orcultural artifacts. Let's see it also says don't build structures or alter natural features.

So a pole is concreted on top of the natural object . Sounds to me they defaced and built structures, that's how I'm reading it.

I think you misunderstood my post, the "Leave what you find" is the title of the 4th one down. NOT that I think what's been done should stay,the flag and the pole should be removed.

• Like 2

12414868-stop-sign-illustration.thumb.jpg.f7e71eb5624cfa56802a13a857451034.jpg

Ok, this matter is now really officially resolved. The discussion was needed, but now it's over.

The 8 guys that put that flag up were well intentioned folks. No need to embarass or humiliate them, nor any need for them to defend a defenseless position.

Going forward, leave no trace, but one step more please....

Join me in visiting our riding areas with another thing in mind. We are ALL very good at picking up after ourselves, but SELDOM do people pick up other peoples messes. 

There is junk and litter out there from thoughtless idiots, but there is also litter that is many years old, and accidentally got there. 

When you ride, bring a garbage bag and pick up any litter you find, even if it is NOT yours. If we all do that, it will take NO TIME AT ALL before every riding place is pristine.

• Like 4

Does this mean you're finally going to shut the hell up and step down off of your high horse ? You're embarrassing and humiliating yourself , pretending in your delusional mind that you've won something here over someone else.  Some other people completely uninvolved with ThumperTalk put up that flag. To them it was most likely a symbol of Washington , not the team itself.  Apparently the rangers also believed it didn't belong there , but not for any of the reasons YOU thought.  I do agree that an American flag could have been more appropriate ,  and acceptable to you , even if it offended others , of which I am NOT one.  Your whole line of thinking on this only revolves around your having been in the service. Would it have been acceptable to you had the flag been from your former branch ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeRC51 said:

Does this mean you're finally going to shut the hell up and step down off of your high horse ? You're embarrassing and humiliating yourself , pretending in your delusional mind that you've won something here over someone else.  Some other people completely uninvolved with ThumperTalk put up that flag. To them it was most likely a symbol of Washington , not the team itself.  Apparently the rangers also believed it didn't belong there , but not for any of the reasons YOU thought.  I do agree that an American flag could have been more appropriate ,  and acceptable to you , even if it offended others , of which I am NOT one.  Your whole line of thinking on this only revolves around your having been in the service. Would it have been acceptable to you had the flag been from your former branch ?

Put the bong pipe down. 

1 hour ago, JoeRC51 said:

You claim to be a "disinterested party", yet you seem to know who these 8 folks are, their lack of affiliation here, their intent?

You don't even list a point of disagreement with me, other than the fact that I made an issue out of all this.

While you rail on me, you don't apparently have a problem with the language, demeanor, or threats of the other side.

Nobody is offended by an American flag, other than traitors and commies, got not a clue what you mean there...

What do you know about my "service"? Huh?

In every opportunity I tried to defuse the situation even when provoked. I even went to the moderators to ask the thread to be removed because it really reflected poorly on the guy insinuating that the seahawks had f'd my wife, and threatened to fight folks at the poker run today. 

I never claimed some sort of "victory" on this. This is a simple matter, sorry it has confounded you. But, I did just add a stripe.....it's you.

-TigerTanker

tumblr_mzpjq1Td1o1r3eyedo1_500.jpg.01f039d4db6bba7d081721550e3c170f.jpg

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

I was up at Clifty a week ago. In the sign in tube someone had put a new book in there. I assume a storm ripped out the old one. I perused the entries...

One guy put his name in and added that it was approximately his 50th visit. It is indeed a special place. 

RIP for these folks that are memorialized up there, ride eternal indeed....

post-373210-0-42343500-1379881483.jpg.a18db9f37360f29b24cbc42c04e91d87.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

You claim to be a "disinterested party", yet you seem to know who these 8 folks are, their lack of affiliation here, their intent?

You don't even list a point of disagreement with me, other than the fact that I made an issue out of all this.

While you rail on me, you don't apparently have a problem with the language, demeanor, or threats of the other side.

Nobody is offended by an American flag, other than traitors and commies, got not a clue what you mean there...

What do you know about my "service"? Huh?

In every opportunity I tried to defuse the situation even when provoked. I even went to the moderators to ask the thread to be removed because it really reflected poorly on the guy insinuating that the seahawks had f'd my wife, and threatened to fight folks at the poker run today. 

I never claimed some sort of "victory" on this. This is a simple matter, sorry it has confounded you. But, I did just add a stripe.....it's you.

-TigerTanker

tumblr_mzpjq1Td1o1r3eyedo1_500.jpg.01f039d4db6bba7d081721550e3c170f.jpg

You truly are both clueless and delusional.