Frenchytoast

450x Baja Build

Hello everyone I just got into the 450x club not too long ago (4/7/18) and i've started building it with the help of many companies and friends and I thought I might share the progress and parts involved in this build. Here is the day that I got it, brought it home with some some parts already waiting for it including a set of Fasst Company Flexx Bars, A JCR edition exhaust and a few other Pro Circuit goodies 

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

• Like 1

My next step of the build was to tear the entire bike down to the frame and start ordering parts. Took a few nights doing some stuff here and there to but once it was to the frame the hubs, suspension, motor and carb were sent off to AHM Factory Services. The swing arm went to Race CO USA for gusseting and the subframe went off to a local buddy that lowers it 2mm.

IMG_4994.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

• Like 1

As I started to order parts the two things all 450x's offroad builds need are a KING OF SEAT Nogouchi seat cover, and a box stand (Jeremy Newton makes them to help fund his racing) Along with that a lot of Baja Designs lights will be used with this build along with a stator rewind from them and a JCR Speed Shop rectifier. This build is all about quality made products. 

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats. Here’s my 05. I’m in the process of getting ready to send my bike to Jcr for some motor work to really make the bike come alive. I gotta say the best thing I’ve done to the bike was having the suspension setup for my weight and the terrain I ride. I’m looking forward to following your build. 🤙🏽

69D32332-6710-45E3-86CB-9FDD22EB05FC.jpeg

• Like 1

Brandon at AHM revalved the suspension on my RX and it was perfect. They do really high quality work there in all departments and have excellent customer service. They always get back to people really quickly and their prices are more than fair. Like you I also only work with the highest quality components that are proven, but when I contacted Noguchi about a seat for my bike I about had a heart attack. I'm interested to know how much the cover cost you? They quoted me a complete seat at $850. That's ugh...a little more than what I had in mind lol. I'm going with Seat Concepts. 

Joe Lloyd at JCR Speed Shop is a friend of mine, overall awesome guy who's really great to work with and will help you out with anything you need.

Dude I contacted Jeremy a while back to try and get him to build me a stand but I don't think he wanted to go through shipping it lol. Yours looks really nice, maybe I'll just break down one afternoon and build one myself. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like! I'm assuming you're going to be racing SCORE?

Edited by dmcgill40v

On 8/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, dmcgill40v said:

Brandon at AHM revalved the suspension on my RX and it was perfect. They do really high quality work there in all departments and have excellent customer service. They always get back to people really quickly and their prices are more than fair. Like you I also only work with the highest quality components that are proven, but when I contacted Noguchi about a seat for my bike I about had a heart attack. I'm interested to know how much the cover cost you? They quoted me a complete seat at $850. That's ugh...a little more than what I had in mind lol. I'm going with Seat Concepts. 

Joe Lloyd at JCR Speed Shop is a friend of mine, overall awesome guy who's really great to work with and will help you out with anything you need.

Dude I contacted Jeremy a while back to try and get him to build me a stand but I don't think he wanted to go through shipping it lol. Yours looks really nice, maybe I'll just break down one afternoon and build one myself. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like! I'm assuming you're going to be racing SCORE?

Brandon is a good friend of mine so we are doing the AHM works on this thing. He does awesome work so im excited to see the finished product of all the parts he's coating and setting up for me. 

If you message him on facebook he can get you set up for a seat cover. My cover as optioned was a little over $250 shipped to the USA but it is well worth it for and is just that one extra touch to set it apart from most builds. 

Joe has been awesome to deal with, Ive ordered a bunch of stuff from him for this build and picked his brain on a few things and he's always had good pointers on what little things I should do. 

As for the box stands it's definitely worth it to have him build one for what he chargers for it. Then just eventually figure out logistics on meeting him somewhere or having a buddy see him at the races or something. I had him build it and take it to GH and my other buddy picked it up then we eventually met up so it was a process to get it but it is well worth it in the end. 

Some small little things I've been taking care of this week have been wrapping all the Fuel lines and Radiator hoses in insulating tape. I have also started the project grinding all the casting marks off the linkage (The picture is from the middle of the process and makes the linkage look a little rough 😬) to prep them to be professionally polished along with a few other components. I have also ordered a 450RX kick stand and both RX foot peg mounts to make for a cleaner kick stand set up 

IMG_6018.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

Looks like it will be A very tidy X what made you decide on an X when they're about to be updated and there are many more "modern" options available? I Love my 450X I have just had my first Full Rebuild after 10 years and I'm happy to keep it. Its had A Few Mods its a very impressive bike!! All the best with yours!! IMG_7054.JPG

On 8/11/2018 at 5:45 AM, Nusk450x said:

Looks like it will be A very tidy X what made you decide on an X when they're about to be updated and there are many more "modern" options available? I Love my 450X I have just had my first Full Rebuild after 10 years and I'm happy to keep it. Its had A Few Mods its a very impressive bike!! All the best with yours!! IMG_7054.JPG

I decided on the bike for a few reason, a few of my friends were all purchasing 450x's after we had ridden another buddies that had a lot of experience building them so we figured it would be fitting to all have the same bike to rip around in the desert for spare parts reasons. The second reason I choose this bike over a modern fuel injected bike was the dependability and the ease of diagnostics compared to a fuel injected bike ( I have a 350xc-f and 250sx-f from KTM both are fuel injected and I do love them). The last was the handling characteristics and feel of the bike, the bike felt like a couch when riding at a fast pace so setting one up right for me was what I really wanted. 

• Like 1

This last week I got a few updates on how the wheels turned out and how the coating on the suspension is going and decided to clean up my parts area and my assembly area. I had Brandon at AHM Factory Services overhaul my wheels by coating my factory hubs and then lacing them in DID Dirt Star hoops with bigger HD spokes and then freshening up the wheel bearing with a new set from Pivot works  with the add on of a odometer delete kit from Enduro Engineering. Then he pulled apart all the suspension to have the shock and fork bodies coated along with the lugs, then he also sent out the fork and shock shaft to get a nitride coating on them to give it that factory A-KIT look along with a slight increase in the performance of the suspension. I have assembled almost all the added and OEM parts needed to make this bike fresh again and this week I also got one of my final parts which was a new rear sprocket from a small company called DDC ( Delaney Drive Components) they are based out of Nevada and are becoming the go to for long lasting steel sprockets and many offroad teams are starting to use this sprocket. Also this week I have confirmed that the Honda 450RX foot pegs mount and kick stand set up will fit on the 450x's giving it a updated and lighter weight kickstand that tucks closer to the bike when in the up position. 

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

Today I got back my swing arm from Race CO USA (Jamie Campbell) after he did the chain guide gussets. Now time for it to be cleaned with the Eagle One etching mag/aluminum cleaner, then be reassembled with fresh Pivot Works bearings, a TM Designs baja rally chain slider, BRP chain guide, Fresh OEM chain adjusters. Also I will be using the Pro Circuit axel blocks and swapping out he the swing arm pivot bolt with one from a 2009 Kawi because they share the same dimensions but the Kawi bolt is slightly thicker. 

IMG_1089.JPG

• Like 2

yeah, I've destroyed several X and R swingarms at the chainguide mount, almost like a yearly ritual...please post up a pic or two of the RX footpeg and kickstand mounted to the 450X...never thought you could remove the fork chrome sliders out of the axle mounts, serious work right there

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, dmcgill40v said:

Are the chain guide gussets on the 450X just weak from the factory? Is that why everyone modifies them?

They are very prone to breaking off when the chain guide comes in contact with stuff. So Race CO USA gussets them for about 100 bucks and saves you from any bigger head aches on the trail.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:07 PM, mattydavis said:

yeah, I've destroyed several X and R swingarms at the chainguide mount, almost like a yearly ritual...please post up a pic or two of the RX footpeg and kickstand mounted to the 450X...never thought you could remove the fork chrome sliders out of the axle mounts, serious work right there

Once I start getting the re-assembly I will post more pictures of the foot peg mounts and kick stand from the RX. Should be a pretty cool and easy mod to do for about $200 for all the parts. And its actually pretty easy to separate those two pieces just takes a little extra time. 

• Like 1

So A little more progress on the X. Had some awesome service at my secret spot polishing shop (my total on the receipt was combine with 4 wheels from my VW Thing I had done at the same time) , Had the linkage, brake pedal, kickstarter, shifter and motor mounts done as a little test and they turned out like a mirror which I've heard that increases the HP numbers by a lot along with a the right combo of stickers which I had Todd at Moto Cutz whip a custom set getting it ready with all the supporters logos.  Then while I was out dropping off parts my frame ended up at Jamie Campbells shop (Race CO USA) for the addition of the frame mounted dual Baja Designs race lights. I had just missed Mark Samuels (the current score pro bike points holder with partner Justin Morgan) dropping off his frame, swing arm and subframe for some Race CO love. Hoping to start assembling the bike in the next two weeks or so. If you want to check out the finished product you will be able to see it on display at the Sand Sport Super Show in Costa Mesa CA this September. 

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 12.12.10 PM.PNG

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

Some small little things I've been taking care of this week have been wrapping all the Fuel lines and Radiator hoses in insulating tape. I have also started the project grinding all the casting marks off the linkage (The picture is from the middle of the process and makes the linkage look a little rough ) to prep them to be professionally polished along with a few other components. I have also ordered a 450RX kick stand and both RX foot peg mounts to make for a cleaner kick stand set up 
IMG_6018.thumb.jpg.e71d91f095b041a91265e0c12b9e15e7.jpg
IMG_6058.thumb.jpg.4f2f6302641794935fca67a9b35beeef.jpg

What is the benefit of insulating the coolant lines?