450x Baja Build

So the past week there hasn't been too much progress. Picked up my frame and new dual Baja Designs squadron XL bracket from race co. Now its time to send the light kit down to Baja Designs this week and have them install and wire up the lights. The other little bit of progress made has been rounding up all my parts to go drop them off at AHM Factory Services. Over the past few weeks Brandon at AHM has been taking care of my motor, suspension, wheels and other small odds and ends, so now its time to take all the parts over there so we can start the re-assemble phase of this project. I was also able to score some other very custom goodies that I will post up next time I get a chance to take a few pictures. Should be down to the wire with getting this thing back together in time. Who knows it might be up for sale when it's done or it might end up at the races every weekend. 

IMG_6325.JPG

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doug. said:

If you consider selling after you're done let me know, I've been looking for a "well-optioned" 450X for a long time!

Hey Doug, I will let it go for the right price when it is finished. It will be a very very well optioned bike with just about everything right done to it and a lot of new components. I've thrown away a lot of stock parts and ordered to new ones to make it as perfect as possible. 

So the reassembly has started. Started to assemble the swing arm with new bearings, TM Designs baja slider, BRP chain guide. The frame started to go together with the 450RX foot peg mounts and kick stand along with a set of IMS foot pegs. Then the headset got all new bearings the lower clamp was cleaned, the upper triple clamp is a BRP with the mount for a Scotts Performance steering stabilizer and a stabilizer tower was also added. Today I also picked up the subframe from being modified 2MM. Next up is finishing up the motor and throwing that in the frame. 

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

I'd really like to shout out ICW Radiators for killing it, Brett at ICW got my radiators today and gave me a call to help steer me in the right direction on what he recommend was best for the 450x. Not to mention he got the radiators today (9-7-18) and knocked both of them out today within hours of calling me. For any future radiator bracing or repairs I will be giving Brett a call. Cant beat awesome customer service! I had Brett brace both the front and the back of the radiators, weld the seams, and also add their custom 1.8 bar cap.

DAD4C9C0-47A0-43A6-B518-3E29CC3D7BE5.JPG

No more updates this week as I had some troubles with getting the big together in time for sand sport show. But here is a finished picture of my both my radiators from ICW with just about everything they offer done to them. More actual bike build pictures coming soon.

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

Finally the last piece to the puzzle on getting the motor fully re-assembled. The silver fitting on the back of the valve cover went missing when I pulled the bike down to the frame, Long story short that fitting can only be purchased with the valve cover so I decided to update it to the newer silver one off the 15-17 bikes to give the 06 a updated look. Hopefully going to have the motor fully assembled and in the frame by the start of next week. 

IMG_6502.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another quick little update for y'all. Figured since I had my suspension all apart and coated why leave that ugly stock yellow spring on all the nice new colored suspension. I have been seeing all the factory Honda's with a candy red spring. I decided to mix it up just slightly and go with a little darker color. I went with a Blood Red color from Kings Powder Coating in Anaheim. It turned out better than I thought and I am super glad I did it a little different from what everyone else has been doing. 

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

• Like 2

Don't take this wrong and I don't want to come off as being a nay-sayer, but this thread is not exactly what I was expecting for a "Baja build".  I thought you'd be showing us what you've done to it so it could stand up to the rigors of Baja.   Maybe I misunderstood the intent though.

For example, it would be nice if you outlined some of the reasons why your changing out some of these parts.   ie.  the rear sprocket....for increased wear?  save weight?   Both?  Did you change the material type? How much weight did it save?   Was there a purpose being coating the forks? etc.

Some of it is obvious like the radiator work, but things like the sprocket or exhaust are not (least to me anyway).

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman