Self inflicted wheel/ tire problems

Well I have about 500 miles on the new 690 and caught a rear flat on the way home yesterday.

I used to run lower air pressures in my XR650R for better handling in the loose stuff, so I also lowered the air pressure in the new 690 when I got it.

No big deal right? Lol.

Well- the rear tire let go yesterday on the pavement ride home after a day of off road riding.

Upon inspection of both wheels, I see that my bead locks are missing the bolt and nut.

Anyone have any input?

Should I order new Locks or can I get those missing parts? IMG_0388.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0390.JPGIMG_0391.JPGIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0393.JPG

Thank you.

Yeah that's the stock rubber nipple in the picture. You don't have rimlocks installed. You have to run enough air in the tubes to keep the tire from spinning on the rim, which is easy to do with big HP on pavement. [emoji16] I run motion pro litelocs on both ends with HD tubes. Screenshot_20180805-084440_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.724c093367a8cb659988d83abc3b5601.jpeg

Ohhhh

What were the bolts and nuts on the outside of the rim near the valve stem then? They were there when I bought the bike. Lol.

Ohhhh

What were the bolts and nuts on the outside of the rim near the valve stem then? They were there when I bought the bike. Lol.

Now they’re gone. ?

Now they’re gone. ?

What are these things then???

Rear tire is first pic.

#1 is obviously the valve stem- what is the other hole?? I think it had the grey thing that is visible in pic #2.

Pic#2 is the front tire.

#1 is the valve stem, what is the #2?

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.fbf9e7dbd6176d8f112b5aa8aaaf0f13.JPGIMG_0392.thumb.JPG.76787587d41bd99b64b6d9aff5373ff5.JPG

29 minutes ago, MIxr650r said:

Ohhhh

Now they’re gone. ?

They come with plastic plugs where the rim locks go. That shows up in your last 2 pics of the front wheel. The rear had the same but fell out.

1 hour ago, MIxr650r said:

Ok men. I’m gearing up for a tube change. I’ve never owned these fancy colored wheels before- only the raw aluminum of stock Honda.

Is there any tricks so I don’t mar up the black finish too bad while using the spoons?

I used to use those plastic rim protectors when spooning on the tire. I have done so many now that I'm just careful and often not a scratch. Also, very easy to touch up the big scratches with generic black car touch up paint. 

Once the bike is older you just give up if it's used off road. Something that is not very noticeable really. 

• Like 1