Sign in to follow this  

I got an ICat

So yeah, I picked one up for my yz250f out of curiousity. Plus I live in CA so reducing emissions sounds good to me. Anyhow, I was taking apart the bike to clean it out and decided to give it a try. I put it on, but didn't feel like putting everything back on (subframe, etc..) so I could take it for a run, but I wanted to see if it would start.

I put the tank on, rolled it out the garage, and gave a nod on the throttle and one kick and it started up, and I mean it started up. It felt so strong, I turned off the choke immediately and it still sounded strong. After a minute or so I gave it a few revs and all I can say is "DAMN". I killed it, since without a pipe connected correctly it was kinda loud, and I did mention I live in California right?

As I was pushing her in the garage, I noticed I forgot to remove the rag I put in the air boot to keep it clean. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm super excited to try this thing out on the track on Sat. I'll post my impressions to let you all know if this expensive mod is worth it, but so far so good. 🙂

I was seriously considering one of these things, but I bought a pipe instead. I may buy it later on if the price goes down a bit and it's really as good as it sounds.

I wonder what it is like on the track. The magazines mostly talked about testing it on 250 2 strokes. I hope it's worth the money...

Just browsing the sites.I have an icat on my crf250 for couple of weeks now and it performs great power everywhere.I was going to get vortex but was told by engine builder that stock cdi on all 250 4strokes is just fine.Oh plus it starts alot easier hot or cold. 🙂

So I rode the yz250f around the same track I rode it on last week without the icat. To make a long story short, is the ICat worth $200? No, BUT if the powerNOW costs $100, the ICat should cost $200.

The difference of the Icat is hard to describe, but it felt like my street bike after I put on a full exhaust + proper jetting. It was just smooth all around. It took away my need to stay in the upper RPMs w/short shifting to clear the jumps coming out of turns. I found my self having to shift a lot less and stay in gear a lot longer. A lot of times, I didn't think I was going fast enough, but to my surprise I was going more than fast enough in the right gear. The smoothness kind took away the hit on top, which makes it easier to ride, but I kinda miss it. Overall, I would buy it again.

Oh yeah, starting is now a single lazy kick, all the time.

Bike cold=1 Kick

Bike hot=1 Kick

Stalled=1 Kick

Looped & flooded=1 Kick 🙂

I'd be intested in periodic updates from folks using this technology (i.e., does it really increase fuel efficiency?, etc.)...sounds promising! I'm not sure about the price ($200), but if it enhances performance and doesn't interfere with bike mechanically to cause future problems, then it might be worth it. Also, hopefully their website add some information: http://www.icatusa.com/

What year model is your bike? It is my understanding that the Icat connects between the coil and the spark plug. How do you do this on a 2003+ model with the coil integrated into the plug cap.

I got an 02, but I think for those models they have a model that requires no cutting. You unplug the coil, plug it into the icat and plug the icat onto the sparkplug.

Just an update, I did some trails and it really is a must have for that. It makes the bike so much easier to ride, you can keep it all over the revs and have smooooooooth power. Hill climbs require a lot less clutch and even with a spark arrestor the thing is damned easy to start! It's a PowerNOW on steroids.

MXA said it did squat and it wasnt at all worth the money just there opinion if never tried one