WP shock service

Hello, I have purchased trax and am interested in learning how to do my own service now. It's time. I am completely green.

Is vacuum bleeder and nitrogen required? Will I need any other special tools/clamps etc? What setups are you guys running? I'm thinking I will run old paintball nitrogen tank and eBay reg with maybe the race tech adaptor and bleeder kit with harbor freight vacuum pump. Guessing about $800 all in...

I would like to run the bare minimum (cheapest) setup right now, if I could make my own vacuum setup somehow that would save me a lot, thanks for suggestions! The cheapest one I found was 400 without adapters.

I would also appreciate any words of advice and what to look at regarding the trax shock!

http://www.shockbleeder.com/products/shock_bleeder_kits

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt

It's not ideal hand bleeding a trax, with only a 1mm bleed and a separater I would think it makes it hard, there are also a lot more parts n seals to change other than a normal shock, from needle shaft seals to seperator piston seals , by sound of it, mIght be best send it out to get it done, a lot of suspension companies strangely enough don't even service these properly, the older ones need springs every time in the trax unit also. A lot differant to a normal kyb to service

Edited by karlace

I am determined to learn how to service these properly myself, I am a competent mechanic once I learn something...

I really do too many hours on the bike to send it to someone... Just need some help getting started with advice on tools etc. I am willing to invest in nice tools but would like to get going with bare minimum during race season.. I am figuring about 1k u.s at the most which will for sure pay for itself.

Does anyone know if or where I can buy a trax service manual? I can not find one?

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt

11 minutes ago, Officer Mike said:

Not to hijack, how do you like that trax compared to Stock? Thanks!

I just bought it and still needs serviced/charged and I'm sure a lot of setup and getting used to the trax action but I'll let u know.. It is supposedly valved pro desert and I ride woods so hopefully the adjusters have good range :excuseme:

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt

On 8/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, Dirt Mcgurt said:

I just bought it and still needs serviced/charged and I'm sure a lot of setup and getting used to the trax action but I'll let u know.. It is supposedly valved pro desert and I ride woods so hopefully the adjusters have good range :excuseme:

Did you buy the one on eBay? I was looking at that one but ended up getting one off vital

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HondaH8r904 said:

Did you buy the one on eBay? I was looking at that one but ended up getting one off vital

Nice! Ya I was eyeing that eBay one for a while and ended up getting it on the 15% day, ended up being not much more than a revalve, I hope it's in decent shape :excuseme:

Whats your plans for the shock? Will you be sending it out or attempting service yourself?

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dirt Mcgurt said:

Nice! Ya I was eyeing that eBay one for a while and ended up getting it on the 15% day, ended up being not much more than a revalve, I hope it's in decent shape :excuseme:

Whats your plans for the shock? Will you be sending it out or attempting service yourself?

Awesome. Mine shouldn't need to be serviced for a while, but I'm in socal so i will likely have WP or FC service it when the time comes. I hope you find the answers in this thread so I can hopefully learn how to do it myself eventually lol. 

Would you mind posting the part number on yours? I believe it said it was for a 2014?

• Like 1

Not sure what the part number is. It said for 2015 and older.

I think I found a line on service manual but I will figure it out and post some answers eventually. Either no one knows or they being tight lipped, but I'm sure it's not rocket science lol

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt
  • Like 1

Ya so for ppl reading in the future the trax only needs 2 parts a bushing and seal that cost 25 bucks total 50180721 and 50180720 and u don't really need special tools for the trax other than something to clamp bottom circular clevis without damaging it. The circle housing part unthreads from clevis. No springs need replacing unless broken. WP will not sell their vise clamp tool or a service manual lol. I was told to clean and slather grease all up in there and that concludes trax service..

As far as shock service I believe the shock bleeder kit is the cheapest and easiest route rather than trying to build one fwiw and the owner is good people willing to help..

I was curious why this bumper appears to have been cut down? Can someone please explain why? I assume for more travel? Maybe something I should do to other shocks? 

image.jpeg

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt

• 7 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 12:35 AM, The Creature said:

Ya so for ppl reading in the future the trax only needs 2 parts a bushing and seal that cost 25 bucks total 50180721 and 50180720 and u don't really need special tools for the trax other than something to clamp bottom circular clevis without damaging it. The circle housing part unthreads from clevis. No springs need replacing unless broken. WP will not sell their vise clamp tool or a service manual lol. I was told to clean and slather grease all up in there and that concludes trax service..

As far as shock service I believe the shock bleeder kit is the cheapest and easiest route rather than trying to build one fwiw and the owner is good people willing to help..

I was curious why this bumper appears to have been cut down? Can someone please explain why? I assume for more travel? Maybe something I should do to other shocks? 

image.jpeg

My guess is that some older trax shock can be adapted to fit newer bikes. The differences are E2E lenght (longer on 2015 than newer), stroke (slightly shorter stroke on 2015 than newer) and the bumper seems to be longer on 2015 than newer. It depends on the actual models and as WP has so little public information, it´s best to check each shock.

Now, on your main subject, I am looking also to make the shock and trax service by myself. Have you been able to find any kind of service manual?

7 hours ago, Artishouk said:

My guess is that some older trax shock can be adapted to fit newer bikes. The differences are E2E lenght (longer on 2015 than newer), stroke (slightly shorter stroke on 2015 than newer) and the bumper seems to be longer on 2015 than newer. It depends on the actual models and as WP has so little public information, it´s best to check each shock.

Now, on your main subject, I am looking also to make the shock and trax service by myself. Have you been able to find any kind of service manual?

No WP will not provide one but the service was quite easy. 

The service bolt is different and needed an adapter and the trax is easy to get apart with a large crescent (WP will not sell the tool) other than that it's pretty straight forward.

I have not had any issues with Trax springs breaking I've had it apart several times and don't think the mechanism needs constantly taken apart and packed with grease like people say. Maybe just a light coating every once in a while...

Edited by The Creature