Still can’t get a good answer , drz400s burning oil

So I have a 2017 drz400s only 3k miles on it and it burns like half a qt of oil every oil change ..... I don’t have any blue smoke or anything ... someone told me if you run the bike at highway speeds 80+ often ( which I do ) it will burn oil ... is this true and normal ?

Yes and yes, that's as good an answer as you'll get, sorry.

• Thanks 1

How accurate is your estimate of 1/2quart?  1/2 quart (16 oz). What is your interval for oil changes?  Are you adding oil multiple times in a 1000 miles to keep oil showing on the dip stick? On my old air cooled GS1000 Suzuki I always noticed oil consumption increased as the oil got more miles on it near change time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Markl5557 said:

So I have a 2017 drz400s only 3k miles on it and it burns like half a qt of oil every oil change ..... I don’t have any blue smoke or anything ... someone told me if you run the bike at highway speeds 80+ often ( which I do ) it will burn oil ... is this true and normal ?

Weight and type? Brand? Yes, it matters.

Broken in per the manual, or some internet Moto Myth Maker Method?

• Thanks 1

Hey, ride it like you stole it, is a proven method.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Markl5557 said:

I also use a fair amount of oil riding hard/high revs but usually not more than 250ml between oil changes.Make sure you are checking the oil level properly though.Bike at operating temperature-needs at least a 20 minute drive,let stand for 3 minutes,bike level dipstick pushed in and not screwed in to check your level.Your bike has way little to mileage to be rings.Blackish/bluish smoke is rings.White smoke on startup is valve stem seals-also impossible at this mileage.Admittedly when i was running a fully synthetic oil-very thin viscosity-i used more oil but i am now using a 10w40 or 15w40 and oil consumption has been reduced.Also my manual says oil change 1.6 litres but i always have to put in about 1.8 litres.

• Thanks 1

I find if I spend time just just low key trail riding ,I don't use oil.  If I spend a lot of my riding time riding hard and pulling long 5th gear wheelies,there is a noticeable difference on dipstick.Not a lot ,but some never the less..I understand you are concerned ,but using a bit of oil over time seems fairly normal.If you started bike from cold and smoke came pouring out,I would be concerned.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Noble said:

How accurate is your estimate of 1/2quart?  1/2 quart (16 oz). What is your interval for oil changes?  Are you adding oil multiple times in a 1000 miles to keep oil showing on the dip stick? On my old air cooled GS1000 Suzuki I always noticed oil consumption increased as the oil got more miles on it near change time.

When I drain the oil it’s exactly a half quart low , I change my oil ever 1000 miles I spoke to someone at the dealership and apparently it’s normal for long rides at highway speeds it apparently mists oil back into air box?

8 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

I broke her in hard a know a few guys who race and work on bikes and they said not to baby it when breaking it in 

• Like 1

I appreciate all the feed back guys thank you !

OK, so you change oil every 1000 miles and it is 1/2 qt low. How often do you check the oi level with the dip stick?  At 1/2 qt low the oil will be way down off the dip stick.  Full to low is like 8 - 12 oz I think.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noble said:

OK, so you change oil every 1000 miles and it is 1/2 qt low. How often do you check the oi level with the dip stick?  At 1/2 qt low the oil will be way down off the dip stick.  Full to low is like 8 - 12 oz I think.

I check it about every three rides my rides consist of 5 hours sometimes 

ive found every motor is alittle different, how you use it to, generally higher rpm will use more oil .. if its running good and not fouling plugs dont worry about it .. its doubtful it will ever get low enough to do harm if you change it regularly .. i stopped even looking at my dipstick lol, no point, if oil isnt misted all over the tail end we're good to go ..

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:19 AM, Markl5557 said:

I broke her in hard a know a few guys who race and work on bikes and they said not to baby it when breaking it in 

......................and now it's using oil. Never a good idea to get the piston too hot before the rings are fully seated. Nic-a-sil bores and rings take longer to seat than the old cro-mo and iron jobs. :excuseme:

• Thanks 1