Opinions on 4 stroke Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic engine oil?

4 minutes ago, Gabe1976 said:

I use Yamaha lube 10w40 now on my new bike. Is there any opinions on using Mobil 1?

Great oil. If I had a 4 stroke I would use it. A little expensive but used to run the v twin in my Harley before I gave it to my son. I would run the  10 40 for motorcycles because of the clutch. don't know if the regular 10 40 for cars has friction modifiers. 

• Like 2

Great oil. If I had a 4 stroke I would use it. A little expensive but used to run the v twin in my Harley before I gave it to my son. I would run the  10 40 for motorcycles because of the clutch. don't know if the regular 10 40 for cars has friction modifiers. 

Thanks. It would be the motorcycle 10w40. The cars don’t have the modifiers I believe either.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jaguar57 said:

Yamalube has the highest refined petroleum oil which is just about as good as synthetic and so it is called semi-synthetic. It's a very good oil. What bike are we talking about?

I wonder who makes it for them. just checked it out and it seems Citco has the yamalube contract.

Edited by ktmHolland

4 hours ago, kdxyardsale said:

40 years of bike maintenance and BelRay has never failed me, so I won't run anything else.

The same can be said of every oil anyone has used for a long period of time.

Run;
fully synthetic
Motorcycle specific
Proper temp ranged

oil and change it at reasonable intervals and you won't have a problem.

I used predominantly Yamalube on my WR and after 270 hours the piston still had most of it's machining marks on it and didn't use a drop of oil. Only reason it got torn down and rebuilt was due to drowning it in silty muddy water.

• Like 2

I've used every viscosity of Mobil 1 in motorcycles, dirtbikes, outboard motors, trucks, and motor vehicles with no problems at all.  I like that it is at Walmart and cheap when bought in the 1 gallon jugs.  

I just used up the last of the 10W 40 motorcycle oil I had for my wife and kids' TTR's.  

• Like 1

Any non-ester or PAO 10w40 is going to shear down pretty quick.  The Mobil 1 is likely a group 3 synthetic which is a highly refined mineral base oil.  Its good oil but it still requires VII's to maintain a wide viscosity index and will never be as shear stable as the very expensive stuff.

Yamalube is good.  I run Rotella 15w40 which is also good and much cheaper.  I would not run anything under a 15w base oil that was not a legit synthetic, and that includes Rotella T6 5w40.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1