2017 CRF450R Reliability & Output

Hi guys,

My dealer has a '17 sitting on the showroom floor that I am considering. My concern is that when reading the MXA race test and long term testing, they note that there were several cracked cases in the early model year due to the automatic decompression system, and that there valves were out of spec, producing sub-par output:

"which causes the kickstarter to bind.

It’s no secret that some 2017 Honda CRF450s have suffered breakages of the automatic decompression system and cracked engine cases (on the right side of the engine). This isn’t idle gossip, since the MXA wrecking crew was present when several CRF450s had mechanical issues, including one bike that cracked its cases at Honda’s Monster Mountain press intro. MXA’s CRF450 had the intake valves go out of adjustment very early in the program, seriously affecting low-to-mid performance."

Anybody have issues? Should I stay away?

Thanks to all!

6 minutes ago, Torrture said:

I'm reading it now. A lot of people seem happy, then there are a few cracked cases, grips spinning, and frame failures.

I purchased an 18 R model in Dec. 2017 & have had no issues.  Not saying the 17 is a bad yr., but the manufacturers generally will refine a new model release the following year.   I bought a 97 CR250r when they 1st came out & after that experience I told myself I wouldn't buy a new model release again.        

11 minutes ago, H4L said:

I purchased an 18 R model in Dec. 2017 & have had no issues.  Not saying the 17 is a bad yr., but the manufacturers generally will refine a new model release the following year.   I bought a 97 CR250r when they 1st came out & after that experience I told myself I wouldn't buy a new model release again.        

I bought an '09 KX450 when the first came out with EFI, and I still have it! Bike is incredable, best engine I've owned. Zero problems, and that was a first year bike. You just never know.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hoping to revive this topic as I just kickstarted my bike the other day and put a big crack in the right side case.  Does anyone know if Honda is doing anything to compensate for this issue.  Going to be next level f'n pissed if they tell me to pound sand.  

The best bike ive ridden finally all together and dialed in and I crack the case kickstarting the bike.  F me.  

On 2/21/2019 at 4:04 PM, Ben Hagle said:

Hoping to revive this topic as I just kickstarted my bike the other day and put a big crack in the right side case.  Does anyone know if Honda is doing anything to compensate for this issue.  Going to be next level f'n pissed if they tell me to pound sand.  

The best bike ive ridden finally all together and dialed in and I crack the case kickstarting the bike.  F me.  

When they kick starting the bike, if it kicks back and you let it swing the kicker back to the top, it's going to break the cases. This can happen to any big bore bike. Ive seen CR500s do it, BSA's, I saw a 1983 XL600 do it and break the cases so bad that all the oil ran out on the street the early RMZ did it really bad. 99% of the time, it's user error.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, Ben Hagle said:

Can I ask you how many hours on the bike? Did the kickstarter snap back in an odd way? Pics? I have the same bike, would like to see the crack, just to know what to look for. Please let us know if Honda helps.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

When they kick starting the bike, if it kicks back and you let it swing the kicker back to the top, it's going to break the cases. This can happen to any big bore bike. Ive seen CR500s do it, BSA's, I saw a 1983 XL600 do it and break the cases so bad that all the oil ran out on the street the early RMZ did it really bad. 99% of the time, it's user error.

User error... 

Haha.  

13 hours ago, Torrture said:

Can I ask you how many hours on the bike? Did the kickstarter snap back in an odd way? Pics? I have the same bike, would like to see the crack, just to know what to look for. Please let us know if Honda helps.

It has around 50 hours of flawless performance.  

It had enough force to bring the starter back hard enough to force the weight of my leg and boot up and still crack the case.  

I'll work on pics.. if you looked at where the kickstarter is mounted from the other side of the bike and below the header. 

I'd sell that bike and make it someone else's problem.  Between hubs failing and this as soon as this is remedied mine will be going up for sale.  

ESPECIALLY if Honda doesn't own up and help out with the cost.  Will never buy a Honda product again if that is the case. 

13 hours ago, Torrture said:

Honda should help. This is a known issue with this bike, well documented.

I am hoping so.  I have read that some were warrantied, some people say Honda helped but I can't find any details.  

I bought this bike from a guy who knows some mugs at Honda - which makes me the second hand owner of this bike and decreases my chance of some proper help.  

But yes your right - well documented.  

On 2/25/2019 at 7:57 AM, Ben Hagle said:

I am hoping so.  I have read that some were warrantied, some people say Honda helped but I can't find any details.  

I bought this bike from a guy who knows some mugs at Honda - which makes me the second hand owner of this bike and decreases my chance of some proper help.  

But yes your right - well documented.  

There was a guy in that long Vital thread that took his issue to the dealer and they fixed it on Honda's dime. Him and some others who had the issue noted that the dealers were pretty easy to work with about it. Most had good things to say, you should be fine. Just for your own insurance I would comb through every thread about it and print out relevant pages to take with you so you can show them. For every intelligent person who works at a motorcycle dealership, there are 17 who would lose their head if it wasn't attached to their neck. Just my experiences.

I wonder why Honda didn't issue a recall letter for it, when they did in 2018 with the CRF250R clutch basket. I think the clutch basket problem was a lot more prevalent but it usually doesn't take that many bikes breaking to get manufacturer involvement. Maybe because like Shawn said, you can somewhat prevent the cases from breaking if you don't let the kickstart swing all the way back under it's own power.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mxer59 said:

Mine for the first time kicked back twice this weekend pretty good, that was my first thought was looking at cases

I guess the procedure is do not touch the throttle on the HONDA.  No matter how bad you want to. 

Also,  install an electric start on it and avoid the kickstarter all together.  

Then sell it and get a KTM.  

Honda will fix it ,friends did the same thing, you have to have the dealer fix it. Its rare,but it does happen. My 17 with a pipe and vortex runs circles around any year ktm . The forks on them are really bad and the motor feels like its got a rag in the air box. I've rode the 17.5, and 18.5 factory edition ktm and 19 yz doggie motor vs. honda The ktms and yz are really tight seat to peg vs the honda as well. Sometimes SH_ _ happens . Weird stuff happens to ktms too,rear hubs/ sprocket bolts and spokes come loose ruin the rear hub or worse(very common event).Friends past 2 ktms ate the rear hubs.

• Like 1