Keep or lose the 230

Alright.  So

I currently own a 2007 CRF230F that I use for trails and motocross.  I don't race, but I seriously enjoy catching some good air whenever possible.  I love my 230, but I do wish it was a little more snappy.  A friend of mine recently got off his XR200R and purchased an RM250 4-stroke and it got me thinking... Would it be worth it to drop the 230 and find a 250r/250x?  I'd like something with a good bit more kick and better off the line, but not totally insane.  I'm aware the 230 has around 18hp and a 250 would have about 30-35.  I've ridden my father's DRZ400 and loved the feel of it but a 450 would be waaaay too much.  Snappier but with less "flying off the seat".  I'm currently 6'1 (ish) and about 140lbs.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Looped

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a bike, but I think a 250 4-stroke would be the way to go.  I love me a good 2-stroke but I'll hold off on that.  What's the maintenance schedule on the CRF250X?  I understand it's a de-tuned race bike so it's probably not as much as like a 250R.

There is a specific forum here for the 150/230 Honda. Have you done the basic rejetting and opening up described there? It makes a big difference.  I had a 230F that I hot-rodded. Got a big bore, high compression piston, and a new cam. While they call it a 230, its really more like 223cc, the big bore kit takes it to a real 247. With the cam, it was massively faster and more responsive. But getting it done probably is not a good investment, you have to compare that against selling the 230 and buying a bigger, faster bike. I did it because I loved how reliable the 230 is, and loved the electric start. But once you make it faster, you will want the suspension mods that they talk about in the 150/230F section. See https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/50-crf150fl-crf230fl/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Looped75 said:

What's the maintenance schedule on the CRF250X?  I understand it's a de-tuned race bike so it's probably not as much as like a 250R.

The maintenance schedule between the 250X and your 230 is night n day. 2 different oil sumps - one for the tranny the other for the engine that require 2 different oil types, and instead of tappet type valves on the 230 the 250X has the shim bucket type. One has to stay on top of the maintenance! However the difference in performance is worth it.

Consider a YZ250fx four stroke rather than a used Honda if your going to switch. No valve problems like a used 250 Honda. But it may have less low end than your CRF230. 

With 230’s you should likely derestrict them and do some mods if you were going to keep it  There is lots of mods to a 230f as @pat22043 said but at some point if your going to do MX you might want that switch. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 5:37 PM, Looped75 said:

Anywhere from $0-$2500

for that budget, make sure you follow the de-restriction steps and spend a modest amount on suspension. The 150/230 section has details on fairly inexpensive steps that can seriously improve the suspension (cartridge emulators and a better rear shock).

Well, I think I've made my choice.  There's a guy with a SUPER clean 2001 YZ250 that wants to trade for my 230.  I was kinda looking for a 2-stroke anyways but I couldn't find one in decent shape.  The 250r/x was absolutely my second choice.

Thanks for the input

On 8/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, Looped75 said:

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a bike, but I think a 250 4-stroke would be the way to go. 

lol, glad you went with the smoker. The MX 250F is a horrible choice if you want to keep costs low.

• Like 1