2019 Husqvarna FX350 questions: problems & must dos?

I goofed with the plunger screw and was able to bring the disengagement point a little closer to the grip. Made it a little bit easier for me to use. I’m happy with it. I realize it’s all about personal preference and experience. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, GreatWhiteFire said:

Most pros, and me not a pro, want full disengaged in under a half inch of travel. You're trying to fix something that's desirable. I like being able to feather the clutch with a very light touch, I would hate a clutch lever that needed to go halfway to the bar to disengage. If it works for you great, but you're probably doing it wrong spending money to "fix" it rather than adapting your technique. 

Edit, never mind, Rekluse owners don't need to manipulate the clutch with finesse. 

What bike, clutch, and terrain do you ride?

On 9/25/2020 at 7:28 AM, socalluke said:

SoCal rider here 

One thing that we notice on the 2t, is they like to rev up or rev down, and really don't like the constant revs, that you often do in the desert.

2 stoke engines like to vary their throttle openings. This is called "breathing."

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, GreatWhiteFire said:

Most pros, and me not a pro, want full disengaged in under a half inch of travel. You're trying to fix something that's desirable. I like being able to feather the clutch with a very light touch, I would hate a clutch lever that needed to go halfway to the bar to disengage. If it works for you great, but you're probably doing it wrong spending money to "fix" it rather than adapting your technique. 

Edit, never mind, Rekluse owners don't need to manipulate the clutch with finesse. 

100% agree - for tech riding you really want full clutch disengagement in the first 1/3 or so of the lever, before it hits your knuckles.  Learned that from setting up my trials bike which I've carried over to my "seat" bikes...

On 12/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, Bizzidy said:

Why do you want full disengaged in under half inch of travel?  That requires very long fingers and a long reach with clutch finger. When bike surges and fist is not more closed, ergonomically the flexor muscles of the hand are not in optimal strength position.  Most flexor muscle fibers are engaged when the hand is midway closed which gives the muscle the best control for modulating. With the fingers near fully extended, modulation is sloppy and jerky. 
Can you explain why having the finger far extended is the desirable method?

You don't want to have to pull through a wide range of motion vs a quick stab when you need it in the first few mm of travel vs having to pull the damn thing all the way in and hold it half way.  It's why I despise those Midwest levers, sure they lessen the pull but require much more range of motion making them very cumbersome to use (IMO) and for how we ride.  You won't find any trials riders or the top enduro dudes with those funky levers.  Check out :30

• Helpful 1

On 1/4/2021 at 9:05 AM, socalluke said:

What bike, clutch, and terrain do you ride?

I ride every kind of terrain. PNW has all of it from high desert to dune to cascade mountain single track and coniferous rain forest gnar. I ride a woodsified YZ250, a Beta 300rr and a Husqy 701E. All on stock clutches. 

On 1/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, Oregon Comrade said:

100% agree - for tech riding you really want full clutch disengagement in the first 1/3 or so of the lever, before it hits your knuckles.  Learned that from setting up my trials bike which I've carried over to my "seat" bikes...

You don't want to have to pull through a wide range of motion vs a quick stab when you need it in the first few mm of travel vs having to pull the damn thing all the way in and hold it half way.  It's why I despise those Midwest levers, sure they lessen the pull but require much more range of motion making them very cumbersome to use (IMO) and for how we ride.  You won't find any trials riders or the top enduro dudes with those funky levers.  Check out :30

I was goofing with my old levers last night and it’s true the Midwest levers are made for dudes with crazy long fingers i guess. I think it’ll be back to the stock lever for me now. Thanks. Stock lever felt more comfortable. 

• Like 1

Was watching the IRC tire guys latest video. He made a very interesting comment about the master cylinder bore diameter. 
Stock diameter is 10mm on Brembo clutch master cylinder. 
By changing to a 9mm bore diameter the clutch pull becomes lighter and the travel to complete disengagement becomes longer. 
I’m no pro, far from it in fact. I’m an early intermediate rider. For me at present the lighter pull and longer travel seems advantageous. I’m not going to swap the master cylinder on my bike but I did want to share what I learned on the video and have since confirmed with a little research. 

9 hours ago, Bizzidy said:

Was watching the IRC tire guys latest video. He made a very interesting comment about the master cylinder bore diameter. 
Stock diameter is 10mm on Brembo clutch master cylinder. 
By changing to a 9mm bore diameter the clutch pull becomes lighter and the travel to complete disengagement becomes longer. 
I’m no pro, far from it in fact. I’m an early intermediate rider. For me at present the lighter pull and longer travel seems advantageous. I’m not going to swap the master cylinder on my bike but I did want to share what I learned on the video and have since confirmed with a little research. 

Yeah I've seen some other guys mention the 9mm vs 10mm one over the last couple years but tend to think the manuf got it right unless we need to optimize the bikes for unique situations.....still compromises either way for general riding IMO.  Lighter clutch pull is awesome, so is a relatively short throw....can't have your cake and eat it too, although it would be cool to have a small electric motor assist that you can dial in to help....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oregon Comrade said:

Yeah I've seen some other guys mention the 9mm vs 10mm one over the last couple years but tend to think the manuf got it right unless we need to optimize the bikes for unique situations.....still compromises either way for general riding IMO.  Lighter clutch pull is awesome, so is a relatively short throw....can't have your cake and eat it too, although it would be cool to have a small electric motor assist that you can dial in to help....

10 mm is the standard for a reason. Likely it is preferred by the majority and hence why it is on KTM and Husky. 

37 minutes ago, Bizzidy said:

10 mm is the standard for a reason. Likely it is preferred by the majority and hence why it is on KTM and Husky. 

I think the 4t use the 9mm, at least my 350 XCF has it, guessing due to the higher weight spring used in the clutch.  I believe the 2t use the 10mm for the most part but not exactly sure, would make sense since many of them do use a lighter weight clutch spring....

• Like 1

Two 2019 FX350 in my garage uses a 9.5mm (Magura) bore not 10mm. Found out this when ordering a rebuild kit from RM ATV. I replaced my master with a 10mm Brembo and added a MM lever. Same pull force as stock and still moves enough fluid to work well. Brembo 9mm will work and still have adjustable reach for many. If it wasn't $190 it would go on at the dealership!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, weantright said:

Two 2019 FX350 in my garage uses a 9.5mm (Magura) bore not 10mm. Found out this when ordering a rebuild kit from RM ATV. I replaced my master with a 10mm Brembo and added a MM lever. Same pull force as stock and still moves enough fluid to work well. Brembo 9mm will work and still have adjustable reach for many. If it wasn't $190 it would go on at the dealership!

Sounds like you’re on the right track and I need to go through my Magura  master and slave systems. My slave cylinder has over 12000 miles and still working great if it goes out  no problem the electric start will roll and start the bike in second gear  and off I go . Iam heading out to Ocotillo Wells east of San Diego for the weekend and then Baja for @super bowl weekend, I always go down there the weather will probably be @80 degrees but cold at night. I always have learned from all on thumper talk  , my way isn’t always the best way thanks