2019 Husqvarna FX350 questions: problems & must dos?

10 hours ago, socalluke said:

Anybody, put a spark arrestor on this bike yet?

I bought the Pro Billet one, but when I took the factory end cap off....I couldn't figure out how to easily remove the factory mesh cone. Anyone know that trick?

Now thinking about just squeezing the factory end hole closed a bit and calling it good.

I thought they had spark arrestors in them already?

11 hours ago, socalluke said:

Anybody, put a spark arrestor on this bike yet?

I bought the Pro Billet one, but when I took the factory end cap off....I couldn't figure out how to easily remove the factory mesh cone. Anyone know that trick?

Now thinking about just squeezing the factory end hole closed a bit and calling it good.

Do you need an official USPS spark arrestor? If no then get a sink screen from Wal-Mart and screw it to the end cap. Have done this on several past bikes for endures. Might fit under the stock end cap.

1 hour ago, joey330 said:

No because it's a close course bike. EPA rules/opinion is if it comes with a spark it can be used in a non close course riding thus different testing. Same reason why the 2T's don't have any.

• Like 1

No because it's a close course bike. EPA rules/opinion is if it comes with a spark it can be used in a non close course riding thus different testing. Same reason why the 2T's don't have any.
Makes sense. Thought I felt one in there when I was cleaning it. That's what had me wondering.

4 minutes ago, joey330 said:
9 minutes ago, weantright said:

Makes sense. Thought I felt one in there when I was cleaning it. That's what had me wondering.

Might be a performance/sound restriction but not an approve SA that the forest service recognize.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weantright said:

Might be a performance/sound restriction but not an approve SA that the forest service recognize.

Correct, it comes with a wire mesh cone, that is not USFS approved. But looks like a SA, however:

1. the factory cone point backwards while USFS points forward

2. the factory cone, has a small 1/4 diameter opening at the end of the cone, while the SA does not

If the ranger, looked for the approval stamp and/or aimed his "metal stick" it could go through the opening in the end of the cone, he could make it fit and say it is not safe??

In reality, could care less if it is stamped......I just don't want to burn down the local riding area. So wondering if pinching the stock cone open top, would be enough?

Edited by socalluke
forgot some words

18 hours ago, socalluke said:

Correct, it comes with a wire mesh cone, that is not USFS approved. But looks like a SA, however:

1. the factory cone point backwards while USFS points forward

2. the factory cone, has a small 1/4 diameter opening at the end of the cone, while the SA does not

If the ranger, looked for the approval stamp and/or aimed his "metal stick" it could go through the opening in the end of the cone, he could make it fit and say it is not safe??

From my understanding that is quite a hefty fine. Out east it isn't much to worry about at least.

In reality, could care less if it is stamped......I just don't want to burn down the local riding area. So wondering if pinching the stock cone open top, would be enough?

I agree, it's pretty cheap to get a little insert I believe. Or in reality just pinch it shut and call it a day. Play dumb if SHTF.

48 minutes ago, weantright said:

No modern day motorcycle can throw sparks let alone a 4t unless it has been tampered with. SA are old school neverless some areas require it. 

I'm not too sure as I have just gotten back into 4T's with my 350. Isn't backfire the biggest issue? I haven't seen a newer 4T backfire in the past couple years. 

I guess the reasoning to a SA is a CYA. Is it cheaper to buy a USFS approved SA pipe, or... Burn the forest down and go to jail for Negligence?

I know, rhetorical question I am not expecting an answer on, just playing devil's advocate.

It seems out west there is a lot of bike checks and rangers out, especially after this forest fire in cali, although power company negligence.

just to keep it 350, it's getting cold out so it's battery tender time. I haven't checked but do you know if it came with the leads already on the battery? 

2 minutes ago, weantright said:

Watch battery tenders as I have seen on past Husqvarna will cycle the fuel pump. It is best to remove the negitive while it on the charger. 

Thank you for that. That wouldn't be good. I will ensure to do that. At least on the 300 I don't have to worry about it.

Just now, weantright said:

Li batteries don’t need a tender and should really be out of the bike. These batteries when something goes wrong do swell and get very hot quickly. Smells sweet and a little chemically but no acid mist like traditional batteries. 

We ride every weekend so taking the battery out would get monotonous. I figured a tender would be good throughout the weekdays while I'm working to keep them at full charge. 

6 minutes ago, weantright said:

I’m a cold sissy and my truck is put away for winter. Plus I’m used to my past bikes that had fragile plastics. Plus winter is our maintenance time. 

If we didn't have to travel as far to snow bike/ snowmobile it wouldn't be so bad. 

Dirtbikes on studs it is! You stay relatively warm.

I do maintenance throughout the year instead so I can keep riding!

7 hours ago, Daloof said:

First real ride on the fx350, this bike is so good, super confident pushing it hard.

Glad to hear. I know I've said it before... But! This bike is gives you a lot of confidence when pushing hard, fast, and when it gets tight and slow... It continues to deliver!

On 11/16/2018 at 4:14 AM, joey330 said:

A answer to your question is "no they do not"..... Not USFS. What you see is a noise baffle, not a spark arrester. Not to mention in some areas of the country, if the ranger checks to see if it has an approved stamp and if it doesn't, some get fairly pissy..... 

On 11/17/2018 at 5:13 AM, weantright said:

Watch battery tenders as I have seen on past Husqvarna will cycle the fuel pump. It is best to remove the negitive while it on the charger. 

I bought one from my Husky dealer. It doesn't mess with the fuel pump.... Never heard of this but I'm new to the lithium battery stuff.