Pros and cons of buying a bike that's already been built up?

Posted (edited)

Im currently in the market for an xr400r, and considering buying one that's had some heavy engine work done. The current owner claims to have bought it from a friend who's an XR enthusiast. The PO installed a big bore kit and high comp piston, as well as a xrs only pumper carb, rsw triple clamp, aftermarket clutch, street lights, and a whole bunch of bling.

My main concern is the effect the upgrades will have on the engine's longevity. How much quicker will I be going through top ends with the setup on this bike as opposed to a stock setup, and should I be worrying at all about bottom end longevity as well? I wouldn't mind having to eventually redo the top end, but I don't want to deal with a race bike type top end rebuild schedule on an XR. 

Is there anyone here who's running a bike similar to this one who can give some advice? 

Edited by TheLastByte

6 minutes ago, dlock5 said:

What compression is the piston?.

I don't think the current owner knows.

I don't think the current owner knows.
That's definitely one of the cons. Knowing if or how close you are to needed race fuel is pretty important.

If you don't get specific answers on here don't be afraid to look at some of the quad specific sites. I have to imagine there are far more built to the hilt 400 EX's than XR's

How much is it?

"How much is it?"....dlock asks while loading up ramp and gassing up truck...
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dlock5 said:

How much is it?

Dude's asking 2800. I'd say it will probably sell at that price in my area.

Edited by TheLastByte

Dude's asking 2800. I'd say it will probably sell at that price in my area.
Was it a race bike?. As long as the piston was some crazy compression, the big bore kits are reliable and won't need race fuel. If he raced it I would pass on it for 2800 personally.

I had a 01 and in 2012 put a 440 kit with stage 1 cam plus redid the bottom end. Raced it for 2 more years and sold it. It was strong and wouldn't be surprised if the guy that bought it, hasn't done anything but change oil, filter and air filter. Wish I kept it.