RFS Starter Relay Wiring Connections: '05 525 EXC / Beta 525 RR

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me make sure I'm connecting the electrical leads on my starter relay properly? I took pic before I remove the old one but can't find them now and I can't seem to figure it out from searching online and I don't want to fry the relay by connecting it incorrectly. My bike is an '05 Beta 525 RR, uses the RFS 525 engine and wiring harness, so it would be the exact same as the KTM setup.

The leads I'm talking about are the positive lead from the battery and the other wire that goes to the starter.

The pic below from the manual shows a "B" on the relay which I assume means hook up the positive lead from the battery to that post, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Ed

Beta525_StarterRelay.JPG

Edited by Woods_Rider

I confirmed the positive lead does connect to the post with the "B" next to it, no need to reply, thanks. -Ed

• Like 1

Based on your question, I can only guess you knowledge of circuitry.  If I offend you, it isn't my intention.

Not a whole lot of risk here.  A relay is pretty simple.  They are electrically actuated switches.  One side is low current (small wires) and the other side is high current (big wires).  The small wires are energized by pressing the starter button on the bars.  This causes the big wire side to close, sending current from the battery big to the starter big wire.  In theory they could've eliminated the relay and sent the big wires to the bar starter switch but....... The switch would have to be 10 times larger and no one wants huge ass wires with lots of current on their bars.

Based on the explaination above. As long as the small wires get connected to the small wire side and the big wires get connected to the big wire side, your golden.

SAFETY NOTE:

I would do these hookups with one side of the battery disconnected and the bike in neutral.  If you touch things together on accident, you can engage the starter causing a yellow dribble in your pants or the bike can jump forward.

• Like 1

Well, with a relay, you could potentially have a dead short to ground.  Would not end well for the relay, or the battery. 

One side of a relay is the "load", the two big lugs that current flows through for the starter motor. 

Other side is the "coil" - this is what electrically pulls the "switch" to "turn on" the load.

With power across the coil (through the push-button on the bars), that closes the circuit ("turns on the switch") for the starter motor. 

KTM made the electrical connection easy; chassis ground.  Only one wire to deal with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cobra46 said:

Based on your question, I can only guess you knowledge of circuitry.  If I offend you, it isn't my intention. <snips>

No offense taken what so ever. And no doubt my knowledge of lecky things is lacking. It's kind of like music and math, for some reason it just does not come easily to me.

And thanks for posting guys, the additional info is helpful and hopefully it may help someone else in the future.

Now I just have to sort my hard starting and FCR MX 39 tuning issues. Four strokes, so many parts, so complicated! Lol.

*Edit: Just got in touch with Dave aka DJH the KTM engine builder/tuner, dropping the Beta off with him tomorrow so he can take care of my starting/running issues. Yeah me! Can't wait to take this bike out in the woods, health issues have prevented me from completing the rescue on this bike for a long time, but I'm very close to having it ready to roll. Psyched.

Edited by Woods_Rider
  • Like 1