Online Sales Tax Discount is Almost Over

5 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

468357342_linked_image(4)2.jpg.97687340cef029618e04793f720b0323.jpg
227512648_linked_image(3)2.jpg.3ad3cbc457856c638db19b9f81f2968a.jpg
1737301673_linked_image(3)3.thumb.jpg.1c3c809a553207fab4c4de297ac3c5e2.jpg

FML.

I suppose this is good for you as a small retailer that needs to start business at an ~8% discount to even the playing field.  Not saying this as a dig at it's just a geographic business fact.

Residents of Ca are already 'supposed' to pay sales tax on transactions from out of state but I've yet to meet anyone who has.

5 minutes ago, cobra46 said:

I suppose this is good for you as a small retailer that needs to start business at an ~8% discount to even the playing field.  Not saying this as a dig at it's just a geographic business fact.

It dont help...  

8% to the state

10% to ebay if you use it

3% to cc or paypal

3% to BLM if you go to D37 races

3-5% to USPS or UPS or Fedex if you ship

Every client expects 10% or more :worthy:

Squeeze all that into an industry average 25% discount from the venders.

Oh... and if you did make a profit don't forget Uncle Sam's half at the end of the year.

But I too am dreading the time that I have to pay an extra $75-80 tax on my next Honda EU2200i generator. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

It dont help...  

8% to the state

10% to ebay if you use it

3% to cc or paypal

3% to BLM if you go to D37 races

3-5% to USPS or UPS or Fedex if you ship

Every client expects 10% or more :worthy:

Squeeze all that into an industry average 25% discount from the venders.

Oh... and if you did make a profit don't forget Uncle Sam's half at the end of the year.

But I too am dreading the time that I have to pay an extra $75-80 tax on my next Honda EU2200i generator. ?

Damn...living the good life working for yourself is expensive.

• Haha 1

I am hoping if we gotta pay maybe it will breath more life into local businesses and shops.  Maybe if locals are selling stuff again companies like Amazon and Ebay...  and RMATV won't put so many brick and mortar businesses on life support.  Maybe your local KTM dealer will have that skid plate or hand guard kit in stock.  Maybe you wont have to go twice for OEM parts when you need them...  once to order and again to pick up.  Maybe they'll be able to afford some parts behind the counter.  Maybe.

I think it's gonna take 3-5 years to shake out if it's a good thing or bad thing for business.  But as a rule I think anytime we get another tax bill to pay it's wrong.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I am hoping if we gotta pay maybe it will breath more life into local businesses and shops.  Maybe if locals are selling stuff again companies like Amazon and Ebay...  and RMATV won't put so many brick and mortar businesses on life support.  Maybe your local KTM dealer will have that skid plate or hand guard kit in stock.  Maybe you wont have to go twice for OEM parts when you need them...  once to order and again to pick up.  Maybe they'll be able to afford some parts behind the counter.  Maybe.

I think it's gonna take 3-5 years to shake out if it's a good thing or bad thing for business.  But as a rule I think anytime we get another tax bill to pay it's wrong.

That is a pipe dream. Those businesses need to focus on 'services', anyone can sling parts from anywhere in the world. Why would I want to burn an hour driving when I can order from my bed or couch and have it show up at my door in a couple days. I would and probably do spend more $ sometimes ordering things online for convenience of not having to burn time going to some store deal with the public.

Edited by 1.21GW

True dat.  It isn't the 50's or 60's any longer where you would drive to the parts store, stand in line for 20 minutes, then order the part, wait a week to get the part, take it home and realize it's the wrong part and start the process again.  Fast food restaurants and online ordering fits my life style well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobc1 said:

Or...when the local KTM store almost never has what you want and tells you that they can "order" it.....and I reply, "So can I."

Exactly... The last time I sent my wife to 3Bros to pick up 4 fender screws and a Twin Air filter she came home with 3 screws and a Uni filter.

She says she'll go back Tuesday to pick up the other screw...  I say "No you'll go back now and return that shit and I'll have what I want here from RMATV by the time you get home." ?

Wasn't the first time I was disappointed by trying to support local shops... but it was the last. 

17 minutes ago, unrooted said:

I've been buying alot of stuff from 2wheels.com because they pay the taxes, prices are good and I get the items next day in CA.

First off 2wheels.com website is closed right now...  the domain is for sale...  which means they stopped paying for it at least 2 months ago.

Maybe they should have paid their taxes.  ?  ?

But if they are truly paying the taxes then YOU paid those taxes... you pay the shipping...  you pay for the goods...  and you pay for the profit they keep.  It's all in the price !

You guys need to look at landed total cost to your door and quit concerning yourself with how the bill is assembled.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff aka Bolt said:

First off 2wheels.com website is closed right now...  the domain is for sale...  which means they stopped paying for it at least 2 months ago.

Maybe they should have paid their taxes.  ?  ?

But if they are truly paying the taxes then YOU paid those taxes... you pay the shipping...  you pay for the goods...  and you pay for the profit they keep.  It's all in the price !

You guys need to look at landed total cost to your door and quit concerning yourself with how the bill is assembled.

whoops, meant 2wheel.com, and they have been the cheapest place for several Items I've orderered. . . or the same as everyone else on some items.

Here is the thing about online prices...  NO ONE IS CHEAPER REALLY.  

The manufacturers set the minimum price all parts can be sold for online.  Most online stores all charge the same minimum price.  On a rare occasion when a product is really hot they sell it for more.  Or if the company has a celebrity name like Slavens or ZipTy they charge more.  Sometimes retail.

But if you shop any large online discounter they all have the same price on just about everything...  and that AIN'T NO ACCIDENT.

So if you are shopping RMATV, Revzilla, Motosport, BikeBandit, anyone online the price is the price.  Even on ebay and Amazon unless it's a discontinued product where the minimum price goes out the window.

They enforce this by narcing each other out.  That's why they offer price matching.  You call RMATV and say you saw it cheaper on 2wheels website and RMATV will match the price and immediately narc them out to the manufacturer who will in turn tell 2wheel to get in policy or fire them.  Some of these bigger companies have staff assigned to watch the internet for their competitor's prices and spend all day narcing.  

In the end, you guys need to find a great local parts guy thats not limited by online advertising policies and quit wasting time bouncing the internet to find the same price everywhere you go. ?

When I lived in Arizona, I used Motosport mainly with RMATV second, to buy most of my online stuff.

When I moved to California, Motosport had to start charging me sales tax so I reversed their previous roles and primarily shopped RMATV.

I guess it won't matter any more.  Motosport gets the nod because I can have my stuff the next day usually, so if it's the same price.

Dave