1990 DR350S

I have a couple of late 90’s DR350S’s.  

With a pumper carb, opening the air box and free breathing exhaust (this doesn’t mean it needs to be loud however) you can expect a snappier throttle response.  It’s not “more power”.  It’s a more crisp throttle response.  

Dont expect to pull third gear wheelies suddenly.  The mods simply makes the bike feel more awake and like it’s wanting to go.

Keep the old carb.  The pumper carbs don’t last as long and a friend I know actually prefers a well jetted stock carb over the pumper as he feels the pumper is more finicky.  I don’t know if I agree as I have more experience with pumper carbs than vacuum type carbs, but he is not the only guy I’ve talked to who prefers a stock quiet well sorted bike.

Edited by brainwashed
  • Like 1

I put the keintech air box with his ceramic coated header with FMF Powercore w/quiet insert. Also the pumper carb he sold me. At least the bike gets going now....it had a hard time keeping up with Honda XR250L’s before. I consider it well worth it. The Powercore noise level was obnoxious before the insert. I really wanted the Q muffler but it was no longer available. Too bad Jesse retired ....Keintech was a great resource. Check out Procycle in Oregon....another great DR350 and DR350S resource.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I'd steer clear of expensive carb "performance" kits.

Open the airbox, clean out your carb, install a stepped needle and jet it to what jessie from kientech mentions and slap on a freer flowing muffler.

I bout my dr with this combo and the throttle is pretty damn snappy for a cv. If I jerk the throttle more than halfway at 2500-3000rpm in second the wheel will come right up. Third requires a bit of a thug, but still doable.

With the 13-52 dirt gearing it gets a bit silly.

• 3 months later...