98 yz250 fork valving.

i was able to get to the mid valve while installed on the bike. 

pgSNIKc.jpg

jBMXS0S.jpg

took out the shims to open up the float and drilled 0.8 holes for bleed 

va8vfrq.jpg

my setup was then 

base valve 8mmID
24.12x5
11.25 clamp

mid valve 11.3mmID
27.1x2
14.3x2 

1.37 float

drilled 2x 0.8 holes bleed

rebound valve 8mmID
27.1x3
12.1  -crossover
11.25x3 clamps

cartridge valve blocked

i was able to bottom the fork by bouncing on the pegs and slamming both brakes rolling a few mph. 

i added 2 more face shims to the BV. 

then while laying in bed last night falling asleep it hit me that im a total NOOb and set my oil height to almost the max (80mm) instead of the minimum(150). that could be why the forks still feel kinda harsh over small bumps. 

I think you're on the right track.  Might need more than two additional shims on the base, depending on how it rides.  With the extra float the mid won't come into play until significantly higher suspension velocities so the base valve is doing the work most of the time.

Have you ridden it since you added the shims to the base valve?

i adjusted the oil level. still kinda harsh on small bumps but rides pretty good for now. i think i need to start tweaking the shock because some of the harshness may be coming from the back tire into the frame. my compression adjust on the shock is backed all the way out. rebound is about half way (have to check exact clicks.) the shock is coming apart for an oil change and new piston rung and bump stop soon anyway.