How do I know if my YZ125 has a spark arrestor?

Both FMF and Pro Circuit offer true spark arresters for the YZ 125.  I have the PC model.  You can also by a "screen type" attachment that will be legal, but it requires constant cleaning on a two stroke.  If most of your riding is on land where you need a spark arrester, you definitely don't want to be messing with the screen type, as they clog easily.

Look around for used spark arresters.  You can usually pick one up for $30-40.  If you give the year of your bike, someone on this forum might even have one laying around they will sell you.  

Edited by rpt50
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, hondaxr650rrrr said:

You might try looking for a Sparky add on spark arrestor. They can be removed and you can use your present silencer on track days.

Those are crap (Called a Sparky Cobra) and almost as much as a FMF Turbo core II USFS, or the PC 296. What is on the OP bike is a PC 304. 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 2

You might try looking for a Sparky add on spark arrestor. They can be removed and you can use your present silencer on track days.

I find that spark arrestors for two stroke are quite different then four stroke. Four stroke can definitely rob you power, however, I haven’t notice much with my two stroke with a spark arrestor.

I find that spark arrestors for two stroke are quite different then four stroke. Four stroke can definitely rob you power, however, I haven’t notice much with my two stroke with a spark arrestor.

2 strokes don’t really rev out with a s/a. I hate using them on anything though.

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to How do I know if my YZ125 has a spark arrestor?
On 8/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, rpt50 said:

Both FMF and Pro Circuit offer true spark arresters for the YZ 125.  I have the PC model.  You can also by a "screen type" attachment that will be legal, but it requires constant cleaning on a two stroke.  If most of your riding is on land where you need a spark arrester, you definitely don't want to be messing with the screen type, as they clog easily.

Look around for used spark arresters.  You can usually pick one up for $30-40.  If you give the year of your bike, someone on this forum might even have one laying around they will sell you.  

2001 yz125

In the old days, officers would merely poke a stick down into the silencer to see if something stopped it. Generally it would be a screen or baffle that (supposedly) kept sparks from blowing straight through the silencer. If the stick hit something before going more than 1 or 2 inches, you were considered legal. From the photos of your silencer, it definitely does not have a spark arrestor.

These days if you are stopped by an officer, he will look to see if you have "US Forest Service (U.S.F.S.) Approved" stamped into the body of your silencer. If not, he can issue you a ticket. You may have some sort of insert, but if they want to be strict they can simply say the silencer is not identified as Approved, and you get a ticket.

A Cobra "Sparky" can be bolted onto the end of the silencer, and it will have the U.S.F.S. stamp, so that will work. But as mentioned, the Sparky uses a screen, and it will need to be cleaned regularly. And they're not cheap.

http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/cobra-sparky-exhaust-universal-spark-arrestor-2-14-inch-9190/

You would be smarter to just buy a silencer that incorporates an approved S.A. (spark arrestor). FMF calls theirs Turbine Core. Pro Circuit calls theirs "296" or Nature Friendly. You'll need one if you plan on riding anywhere that is not a Closed Course or on private land. Get a used one, repack it, and call it good!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-YAMAHA-YZ125-YZ-125-Aftermarket-FMF-Muffler-Silencer-Spark-Arrestor/282921050737?fits=Model%3AYZ125&hash=item41df68a271%3Ag%3AMqgAAOSw0A9azluy&LH_ItemCondition=4

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. ?

Edited by CaptDan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

I

You would be smarter to just buy a silencer that incorporates an approved S.A. (spark arrestor). FMF calls theirs Turbine Core. Pro Circuit calls theirs "296" or Nature Friendly. You'll need one if you plan on riding anywhere that is not a Closed Course or on private land. Get a used one, repack it, and call it good!

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. ?

Thank you for your help. I guess I'll just buy the full silencer+arrestor.  I'm kinda new to all this so I dont know about the compatibility aspect... Do I have to get the pro circuit one or would the fmf one also just hook right up as well?

• Like 1

Both FMF and ProCircuit make quality stuff. It may come down to price and availability. For some reason the 2000 & 2001 YZ125 had a unique silencer, though I could never figure what made them different from the 1996-1999 bikes. :excuseme: Good luck!

https://www.procircuit.com/nature-friendly-yz125-00-01.html

https://www.fmfracing.com/Product/ProductDetail?CategoryID=62&BikeType=MX%2FOFFROAD&BikeMake=&BikeModel=&BikeYear=&ParentCategoryID=52&Priority=5&SearchText=

Edited by CaptDan

2 hours ago, CaptDan said:

Both FMF and ProCircuit make quality stuff. It may come down to price and availability. For some reason the 2000 & 2001 YZ125 had a unique silencer, though I could never figure what made them different from the 1996-1999 bikes. :excuseme: Good luck!

https://www.procircuit.com/nature-friendly-yz125-00-01.html

https://www.fmfracing.com/Product/ProductDetail?CategoryID=62&BikeType=MX%2FOFFROAD&BikeMake=&BikeModel=&BikeYear=&ParentCategoryID=52&Priority=5&SearchText=

I believe it was 96-99 that had the female spigot off the Jug and the pipe was slightly longer in the stinger. I would bet they "could" work as you can change the head up to 04, but that is unconfirmed.  

• Like 1