Does my YZ250 need a new bottom end?

No, I only get short periods of time to work on bike and its Almost always after dark. I had to clean up the power valve parts.

I had two springs when I went out to wash and none when I came back. I found one but not the other.

I did think "bad idea doing this under a light but was careful...not careful enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, eXc said:

No, I only get short periods of time to work on bike and its Almost always after dark. I had to clean up the power valve parts.

I had two springs when I went out to wash and none when I came back. I found one but not the other.

I did think "bad idea doing this under a light but was careful...not careful enough.

Is it possible those springs just slid into each other and it appears as one spring?  I ask because I just cleaned up all my power valve parts and when laying them out on the table - OH CRAP, I LOST A SPRING.  But after carefully looking at the spring, yes, there were 2 there.

10 hours ago, motoxvet said:

Is it possible those springs just slid into each other and it appears as one spring?  I ask because I just cleaned up all my power valve parts and when laying them out on the table - OH CRAP, I LOST A SPRING.  But after carefully looking at the spring, yes, there were 2 there.

possible, but not the case unfortunately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Magnetic, get out their and sweep the area with one. 

I did try with a magnet, and planned to make a bigger version. Was considering an electromagnet, or a piece of wood with a stack of magnets.

• Like 1

I woke up through the night thinking the spring could be stuck in the brush I used...and it was.

So engine is done except missing transmission seal, so can't do leak down test.

When I do the leak down:

1. do I need the governor side cover on? Figured I'd leave it off to check for leaks at the seal of need be.

2. Do I need to plug the coolant lines, or are they a separate system?

Gosh I hope it doesn't leak!
IMG_0182.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eXc said:

I woke up through the night thinking the spring could be stuck in the brush I used...and it was.

So engine is done except missing transmission seal, so can't do leak down test.

When I do the leak down:

1. do I need the governor side cover on? Figured I'd leave it off to check for leaks at the seal of need be.

2. Do I need to plug the coolant lines, or are they a separate system?

Gosh I hope it doesn't leak!
IMG_0182.jpg

You just rebuilt it. Unless crank seal is lipped out it wont leak. Run it ? keep soapy water out of it that way. Ive never done a leak down on brandnew engine 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

You just rebuilt it. Unless crank seal is lipped out it wont leak. Run it ? keep soapy water out of it that way. Ive never done a leak down on brandnew engine 

Yep^^^^and transmission seal doesn't matter unless the case is leaking between Crank wall and trans, it's separate areas. Water system is separate. Assuming the new PV seal is working that cover off is fine.

But as mentioned ive never done it either

?:ride:

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the external transmission seal and gear leaver seal to arrive...does anyone know if I can put those seals in easily once engine is back in frame? trying to decide if i get the engine back in frame...or just wait to make my life easier.

cheers

1 hour ago, eXc said:

I'm waiting for the external transmission seal and gear leaver seal to arrive...does anyone know if I can put those seals in easily once engine is back in frame? trying to decide if i get the engine back in frame...or just wait to make my life easier.

cheers

Especially if there's no fluids in it, it's almost easier with motor bolted in just cause it's stable. Put bike on it's side, knock it in and off you go

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eXc said:

cheers

Either way is fine. Should have told me you needed those seals I would have sent them with the carby. 

• Like 1