sentinelshockey22

Future of Sport ATV Racing with limited 450 options.

Hi All,

Looking at the current ATV offroad racing world, the 450 class still leads the way.  With Yamaha being the only manufacturer currently offering a 450cc sport racing ATV, how long till racing starts taking a hit.  I haven't heard any rumors of any of the other manufacturers getting back into the game.  Without an influx of new technology and new ATV's to purchase, I feel that its only a matter of time until the big series' (GNCC) start taking a hit.  There are only so many 450's out there and keeping them up and running especially for the rough running of an offroad series seems like it would be a losing battle.  Props to Yamaha for keeping the segment alive for now.  It just bothers me when there is literally only one player if you want to buy a new machine.

Do you guys feel that sport ATV racing is on the way out?  Do you guys anticipate a rebound with manufactures getting back into the field?  Is it just a matter of time till sport ATV racing is done, and everything has moved onto SXS racing?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 3:47 PM, sentinelshockey22 said:

Do you guys feel that sport ATV racing is on the way out? 

Kinda, I started following ATV motocross in the days of 250R /400EX hybrids until about 2005 with 450 factory racing.

Factory Racing is on the way out again, others will race older models and hybrids. 

I think we are definitely at rock bottom. I'm not sure how much longer Yamaha will stay in the game. I'd give anything for a new updated TRX or KTM 525xc. May have to snatch up a Yamaha before they are gone too. SxSs are no where near interesting to me and most are so big, why not buy a Jeep instead. Not to mention the price. Their prices alone makes me scratch my head. Hopefully we see a rebound. I have seen nothing related to any new sport quads on the horizon.

Edited by WoodsRERider
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

At least two MX tracks I ride have kicked out the sport quads during the past few years.

Too much trouble for the track owners for such a small minority.

A few things like more track prep required versus bikes (quads drift and roost all the 'good' dirt out into the ditches)

safety issues when on track at same time as bikes (different cornering lines, vehicle weight in the even of a collision)

Unfortunately, the quad crowd was also more likely to gooning around in pits etc.

They've tried quad only heats or even days but, insufficient numbers show up to make it worthwhile.

Myself and many other MX riders simply avoid tracks that allow quads,

track owners realize it and don't want to loose a dozen MX'er if only 1-2 quads show up daily so,

it's an easy business decision to cater only to dirt bikes if they are by far your main source of income.

Except for gooning in sand pits, and with few places to practice / race,

many sport quad owners have since switched over to dirt bikes.

I haven't checked but I'm sure resale values and demand are at an all-time low.

Edited by mlatour

Good points. I'm glad that it seems quads still have a very strong staple in xc events likes GNCC, hare scrambles, etc. Hopefully they keep them alive. I personally ride both bikes and quads and each are equally as fun to me imo.

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying mlatour.  However, I never really felt that there was a huge contingent of MX quad guys anyways.  That very well could be my ignorance on the ATVmx side of things, but I would make the assumption that the general makeup of ATV racers would be more along the lines of 75% GNCC style racing and 25% track racing.  Under that thinking, I don't think that MX tracks banning ATV's would affect the market to the point where manufacturers no longer offer new bikes.

I would think that there would still be a larger contingent of ATV guys who are off-road racing that would jump to pick up a new Honda TRX450 built with Honda's new motor they put out, or a redesigned Suzuki ltz450.  It's strange to me that these big manufactures let one of their competitors stand alone in the market.

The SXS market has killed the Sport ATV market. Follow the money. ATVmx was never as big as the recreational rider that wanted something fun that they could blast down the trails or in the sand. Now it's morphed into being able to ride with the family in the same vehicle.  At least here locally. The ATV turnout at the Motorcycle club  promoted Ice races here are huge. but you can't get those "racers" to show up at a summer race event because they are out on the trails.

As far as resale on the sport 450's, I would never have expected my 12 year old LTR's to be fetching more than 50% of MSRP when sold new.  But they are. I'll hang on to mine and race them in our HS series but there really in no MX tracks on the front range of Colorado that allows then except for race day. So we'll ride our Beta's too

I'm hopeful for a bright sport quad future. I know we've been here before. Im intrigued by KTM's partnership with CFMoto. How about a 300xc quad 2 stroke. ? I can dream. 

The numbers are definitely down due in part to the 08 recession and SxS getting more popular, but I don't think sport quad racing is going anywhere yet, and from what I've seen its been picking up a bit over the last few years, more kids and beginners racing and some MX tracks opening up to the idea of letting quads ride again. I also don't think the lack of manufactures making new quads is much indication on the health of the sport, the majority of racers aren't buying new quads anyway, and there are still a lot of used 450 quads for sale. Who knows, once the used market dries up and if racing picks up some more we may see some manufactures getting back into it, but for a while it may be like the late 90's/ early 2000's when most people ran custom hybrids.