KTM sx150 or sx125 ???

Hey so I’ve decided I want to move up from my crf150rb to a new 2 stroke and one problem I’ve had is deciding  whether if I should get the ktm 150 or 125 and which is better for me I’ve listed my size and experience below and I’d love if you’d help me with my decision 

I’m 15 yrs old weight around 140  and 5’8 not much 2 stroke experience it will take time to get used to I’ve been riding for around 2.5 years now and I want a bike that’ll have good low end top end so I can learn and get used to the bike and I want to pick the best one for me either then sx125 or sx150 leave your opinions below thanks!

I would actually suggest the 125sx.  The 150 does have more low end, but the powerband is shorter and it does rip through the gears pretty quickly.  The 125 has a wider spread of power and at 140lbs, it has more than enough to get you around.  Good for you for going two stroke.  learning to ride a small bore (125/150) will teach you lessons that a fourstroke could never teach you.  Keep at it and the 125 will teach you to be a better rider which will help you along as you move up in the sport.  I feel the 125 is slightly easier to ride than the 150.  I have a 150 and I find myself shifting alot bore than I do when I ride a 125sx (same year bike).  Good luck!

1 hour ago, dshissam said:

I would actually suggest the 125sx.  The 150 does have more low end, but the powerband is shorter and it does rip through the gears pretty quickly.  The 125 has a wider spread of power and at 140lbs, it has more than enough to get you around.  Good for you for going two stroke.  learning to ride a small bore (125/150) will teach you lessons that a fourstroke could never teach you.  Keep at it and the 125 will teach you to be a better rider which will help you along as you move up in the sport.  I feel the 125 is slightly easier to ride than the 150.  I have a 150 and I find myself shifting alot bore than I do when I ride a 125sx (same year bike).  Good luck!

Thank you for you help!

Do you race? We do 125cc 2 stroke only racing in the UK - there is no 2 stroke class for the 150 which has to do MX2 (or open 2 stroke class where it is way too slow) and to be fair to it is not at the races compared to the new 250 four strokes. We had 16 on 125s and KTM sell a Powerparts kit to easily convert it to a 150 - both bikes share the same bottom end so the only difference is the top end. We got the kit for open winter racing and my son didn't like it at all - much preferred his 125s which had heavily modded engines. If you can afford it, get a 2016 on 125 - in standard form they are so much better than the pre 16s. The MXA wrecking crew  compared them back to back and their findings were older riders preferred the 150 while the young guns went for the 125. Good luck with whatever you decide.. Braaap. Bob 

1 hour ago, 7Tktm said:

Do you race? We do 125cc 2 stroke only racing in the UK - there is no 2 stroke class for the 150 which has to do MX2 (or open 2 stroke class where it is way too slow) and to be fair to it is not at the races compared to the new 250 four strokes. We had 16 on 125s and KTM sell a Powerparts kit to easily convert it to a 150 - both bikes share the same bottom end so the only difference is the top end. We got the kit for open winter racing and my son didn't like it at all - much preferred his 125s which had heavily modded engines. If you can afford it, get a 2016 on 125 - in standard form they are so much better than the pre 16s. The MXA wrecking crew  compared them back to back and their findings were older riders preferred the 150 while the young guns went for the 125. Good luck with whatever you decide.. Braaap. Bob 

I’ll be looking to race hopefully soon thanks

I would have a look at classes you could enter then make a decision. Presume you will be doing motocross. In the UK, because most youngsters go straight from 85s to 250Fs, they miss out on a big part of their learning curve. However, a lot of our clubs run 'all together' YMX2 classes but score the 125 riders separately, sort of like a race within a race. Obviously a 150 has to compete with the 250Fs and unless the rider is really talented he/she won't be winning races. Worth getting some advice/direction from your local club. Bob.

Edited by 7Tktm