2018 FE501 ECU Failure

I bought a new 2018 FE501 last week. Right when I got home it had starting problems. I put about 60 easy miles on it and the check ingine light came on (8 long, 2 short flashes). I power cylced the bike and it started with no engine light. After idling for a few min the engine died and the light came on solid.

I took the bike back to the dealer and they say the code is for a full ECU failure and Husqvarna NA told them to order a new ECU.

Well, it turns out the ECUs are on back order and they’re waiting to hear when I’ll be able to expect a new one.

Husqvarna customer support won’t answer their phone or return messages. That’s annoying as hell.

I don’t really know what to do other than either buy a vortex or keep calling my dealer.

Edited by swaterfall

Your dealer did what they are supposed to do, and Husky is standing behind it.  The wheels have been put in motion.

If the ECU is on backorder, it is on backorder.  Calling up the dealer constantly or Husky customer support isn't going to do you any good other than probably pissing someone off eventually.  It isn't like they aren't taking care of the problem and told you that "Well, it broke, too bad!"  If there aren't any ECUs available, no one at the dealer or Husqvarna is going to be able to wish a new ECU into existence any faster than you can yourself.  Once the ECU comes off backorder, it will be shipped to the dealer and it will be installed.

There are three options:

1.) You can be patient and let Husqvarna and the dealer take care of the problem once the part is off backorder.

2.) You can call someone every day and wait just as long as you would with option #1 and probably end up ticking someone off in the process.  The guys at the dealership don't want your bike sitting there any longer than you do.  This is a simple plug and play repair, so your bike is taking up space they would rather have empty.

3.) You can order a Vortex.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:48 AM, THE KRAN said:

The ECU's on CARB/EPA controlled bikes are matched to the VIN.  

That's why it takes so long. 

How about find someone local to him that is chill and will let him use their FE501 ECU?  I have a 2018 FE501 and I run a Vortex, so my ECU is in a box, likely never to be seen again.  Maybe another local guy like me, by him that he is cool w/ that can just let him use the ECU for a while, until the new one comes in?

2 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

What do the doctors know? :excuseme:

They "know" it will be worse the next time with the risk of permanency.  Ultimately my decision, taking into account the family's opinion.  Still not in a place to make any decisions....:crazy:

• Like 1