Best Entry level andventure bike?

Hi Guys.

I want to start doing a bit of adventure riding and touring with the bike, but I am looking for a bike that I can also use as a daily commuter that is not too expensive but is still good value for money. Any suggestions?

On August 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM, etta95 said:

Hi Guys.

I want to start doing a bit of adventure riding and touring with the bike, but I am looking for a bike that I can also use as a daily commuter that is not too expensive but is still good value for money. Any suggestions?

What is your riding experience? It looks like your avatar shows a WR or YZ, do you have dirt experience but not adventure/touring type experience?  If that is the case, the 650 would be a good choice, but if you literally have almost zero riding experience at all, I agree some type of 250cc bike would be a good start. But if I got a 250, I would look for a cheaper used one as you will likely outgrow it or progress skills past it. Another cheap option on craigstlist once in a while is a Suzuki DR200, that could be a good beginner dual sport. But to "tour" with gear, you are going to need a bigger bike at some point. 

• Helpful 1

As a owner of 2 DR 650 se's that bike would be fine for your attended purposes. Good after market support, very reliable.  Very linear power. Common sense will go a long way as far as it being a 650. Maybe a MSF course would also be a good idea.

• Like 2

What is your riding experience? It looks like your avatar shows a WR or YZ, do you have dirt experience but not adventure/touring type experience?  If that is the case, the 650 would be a good choice, but if you literally have almost zero riding experience at all, I agree some type of 250cc bike would be a good start. But if I got a 250, I would look for a cheaper used one as you will likely outgrow it or progress skills past it. Another cheap option on craigstlist once in a while is a Suzuki DR200, that could be a good beginner dual sport. But to "tour" with gear, you are going to need a bigger bike at some point. 
yes that was my 450 WR I have some dirt and some road experience so i think id rather go for the 650 think the 250 is going to struggle a bit if I go touring like you said thanx timbanditos for the advice it helped
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, etta95 said:

Hi Guys.

I think you need to be more details to really provide good answers.

Adventure riding: for some, that's a trip to starbucks. For others, it's 6-7+ days riding the tops of the rockies, living off their bikes.  What type of adventures do you plan on riding? Touring: how far per day? Riding days to weeks per trip? How much pavement, dirt roads or even trails do you plan to ride? If trails, what level of difficulty? There is no do it all awesome bike IMHO. So, be very, very honest with yourself about how you intend to use it. I've personally done dirt bikes with a plate, 500lb. ADV bikes, and now a purpose build dual sport/light ADV bike. 

Also, what's your skill level/experience? What's your budget?

• Like 3

im thinking about getting an ADV bike maybe at the year for some fire roads and back road pavement, and keep the dirt bikes for dirt biking.

any real life experience with the Royal Enfield Himalayan?  Can't beat the price. 400cc. Local Triumph Dealer carries the Royal Enfield, but the Himalayan hasn't made it to his showroom yet (or at least when I stop in).

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/bike/

• Like 1

I thought those looked pretty good as well. But after reading the owner's thread on adv rider I have decided to stick with Dr 650s for as long as I can manage to. They are basically in the same class but the DR looks like a much better quality bike, and can typically be found for less money with low miles.

• Helpful 1

Ha! My 250FX makes more HP than my DR650
So does my KTM 200. The KX100 is about the same. Nowhere near the torque though. The old DR is about as tame as it gets. Now a XR650R or even better a Husaberg 650, that's a different matter entirely.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
"I've personally done dirt bikes with a plate, 500lb. ADV bikes"

the comma makes ALL the difference. [emoji6]

My man! You paid attention in English class!

Easiest/cheapest way to gain hp by weight loss is for the rider to drop a couple lbs!

They're bikes we're not jumping(much!). But will tractor all our gear up an incline others have to blast up.

Happy Holidays BB!

• Helpful 1

Just now, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

My man! You paid attention in English class!
Easiest/cheapest way to gain hp by weight loss is for the rider to drop a couple lbs!
There are bikes we're 5ot jumping(much!). But will tractor all our gear up an incline others have to blast up.
Happy Holidays BB!

I'm down 38lbs. from 1.5 years ago! No idea where I carried 215lbs. because I was only a 34" waist, but my 690 Enduro def gained more powahhhhhhh! And, I need to ride it a lot to keep my mind off the rigorous eating standards I need to keep at fighting weight! It's worth it, but still hard! 

• Like 2