Pivot/Bendable Style Levers for the Ol' XR

My lanky 14 year old boy started showing an interest in riding MX/Off-Road so I sourced the best beginner friendly, yet dirt worthy, bike I could find: an Ol' Honda XR250R (2004). So far I've replaced a few clutch levers and perches with stock parts. That's gotten old and I'm looking to upgrade to an ASV or Torc1 type fold-able clutch/perch brake combo. Went to purchase online today and to my surprise there were no such parts listed for the XRs. I saw plenty of CRF/CRF-X choices and they seem to differ depending on generation. Obviously I can use nearly any perch/clutch combo as long as the two match; but I was wondering if anyone knew which of these levers was closest to stock? Also, will the first gen CRF250X brake lever work on the XR? These may be stupid questions to some; but I'd rather ask a dumb question than drop money on an ASV brake lever I can't use. Thanks for any help.

#xr250r#hondaxr  

IMG_2866.JPG

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ddickinson said:

My lanky 14 year old boy started showing an interest in riding MX/Off-Road so I sourced the best beginner friendly, yet dirt worthy, bike I could find: an Ol' Honda XR250R (2004). So far I've replaced a few clutch levers and perches with stock parts. That's gotten old and I'm looking to upgrade to an ASV or Torc1 type fold-able clutch/perch brake combo. Went to purchase online today and to my surprise there were no such parts listed for the XRs. I saw plenty of CRF/CRF-X choices and they seem to differ depending on generation. Obviously I can use nearly any perch/clutch combo as long as the two match; but I was wondering if anyone knew which of these levers was closest to stock? Also, will the first gen CRF250X brake lever work on the XR? These may be stupid questions to some; but I'd rather ask a dumb question than drop money on an ASV brake lever I can't use. Thanks for any help.

#xr250r#hondaxr  

IMG_2866.JPG

Don't get any just get bark Buster's   no more broken levers. 

Edited by bajatrailrider
  • Like 1

I hear that. But every ASV supermoto race bike has handguards and still rock ASVs. They're more than just unbreakable.
If you want ASVs, PM me and Ill get you a fresh set cheap.
You'll get them directly from ASV, even pay ASV directly. Just with me being the one setting up the sale, you'll get them cheap.

• Like 1

Install "Bark Busters", or a variation there of, and you will never have a broken lever or crushed fingers. I did that in the eighties and have not had a broken or bent bent lever since. When I installed my first bark busters I discovered that the extra 3/4" on each side was causing me to hit trees during Enduros so I now trim 3/4" off each bar end to make up for the thickness of the bark busters connector.   I currently use Cycro Pro Bend. 

Edited by Chuck.

When I bought my wr used it had asv brake and cultch levers. Bent and ground up. Bark Buster's is the frist then you buy the levers.

Edited by bajatrailrider

59 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

When I bought my wr used it had asv brake and cultch levers. Bent and ground up. Bark Buster's is the frist then you buy the levers.

I hear what a lot of you guys are saying about the handguards/barkbusters but (despite being a woods guy) I'm part of that minority that prefers to ride without busters. When I ran the Intermediate class in the early 2000s I ran the Cycra Pro Bend style buster, first mounted at the bar and later the clamp. In addition to being just one more thing to break or cause problems, I got my hand tangled up in them once...

In hindsight, maybe I just wanted to be like Wattsy. He didn't run a wraparound guard either.

Edited by ddickinson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ddickinson said:

I hear what a lot of you guys are saying about the handguards/barkbusters but (despite being a woods guy) I'm part of that minority that prefers to ride without busters. When I ran the Intermediate class in the early 2000s I ran the Cycra Pro Bend style buster, first mounted at the bar and later the clamp. In addition to being just one more thing to break or cause problems, I got my hand tangled up in them once...

In hindsight, maybe I just wanted to be like Wattsy. He didn't run a wraparound guard either.

Only thing you can't ride like him. Be different is good but in this case not.good. keep breaking levers master cylinders fingers . To be different ok