Can you idle indefinitely without overheating?

I think the price for the fan kit is very good but I'm curious as to why they choose not to add it to the new price tag from the start. $91 in cost reduction at the expense of engine damage is not a risk I would take. Good heavens please tell me it wasn't due to weight reduction.

I think the price for the fan kit is very good but I'm curious as to why they choose not to add it to the new price tag from the start. $91 in cost reduction at the expense of engine damage is not a risk I would take. Good heavens please tell me it wasn't due to weight reduction.
Don't get me wrong I've owned a bunch of ktms. They really can't add much more to the price of the bike imho. People are just about at their max on their prices now and that's just the beginning of the spending. In case you haven't noticed, they're not really " ready to race".

2 hours ago, motocrotts said:
2 hours ago, Repp said:

Don't get me wrong I've owned a bunch of ktms. They really can't add much more to the price of the bike imho. People are just about at their max on their prices now and that's just the beginning of the spending. In case you haven't noticed, they're not really " ready to race".

Some models are more "ready to race" than others, and you can thank the EPA for the gutted U.S. models. I still feel that KTMs come with more of what I want than other bikes. Good brakes, good suspension, quality components overall. Everything in life is a compromise, we still get more for our money than a Ducati or BMW owner ?

I rode in dirt where I was constantly moving with past bikes so I never had heating problems. My ktm 450 likes to overheat so I wanted to know from other people how mine compares if this was normal due to not moving on the road. This is my first road bike. I live in the middle of Atlanta and I sit at red lights the majority of my commute to school. I have a temp gauge and cut my bike off at red lights to avoid over heating. I just got a fan and expect this not to be a problem anymore but I shall see. I have also increased the pilot jet with a richer than optimal fuel mixture to help.

I think I’m going to check the flow through my radiators too. They are bent but should still be satisfactory for function.

I guess I was puzzled why it didn’t have a stock fan to begin with if it was designed to be a duel sport . I find it hard to believe it was originally designed knowing it would run hot at long red lights.

Where do you go riding? I’m on the north side right outside 285.

@cooldudesmd I'm from Americus Ga. but I now live in midtown and go to school at Ga Tech for Mech. Engineering. I ride my 06' 450 EXC to class because parking is $145 a year for the motorcycle vs. $800 for my truck. 

I hear Durhamtown would be fun to go play in the dirt but I haven't been yet. 

Also, I don't have any riding friends here. All the other student drive mopeds. When I see them, I try to blow the windshield off when passing them

Edited by Repp

@cooldudesmd Is that county property? Do they care or is it "just don't get caught" kind of thing? To be honest, I don't really like riding on the road. I would rather be riding in the dirt. People constantly either slam on brakes behind me or pull out in front of me. Scares the living shit out of me when I hear wheel screech. I don't know if they can't see me or too busy on the phone while changing the radio, drinking $5 Starbucks coffee,  and complaining that they are late to some insignificant social event. This tends to be a common behavior for the indigenous people.  I have even ordered red LED flashers to mount on the back to help in case that's what's going on. Also, everyone tailgates here which pisses me off. The road was fun for a while but it's too grippy and feels like the same ol thing from day to day. I've got pretty good at drive-by wheelies but not much else to do where I live. I've only had it for 4 months and I already want more HP because the road grip eats up all the fun. I miss the instant wheelspin, weightlessness feeling of a jump, fishtailing, and feeling on the edge. Just something addicting about pushing yourself and knowing your 1 second away from an epic moment or eating dirt. Generally, I'm a reserved cautious type person but when I climb on a bike, the demons come out. Unfortunately,  I just don't feel it on the road anymore. I have been eyeballing some used 300 XCW's. Idk tho, my bike is a nice bike now and serves the purpose for which I bought it for.

Edited by Repp

Hwy 60 is a road, obviously. It’s a pretty good ride, fairly twisty. It can get bad with traffic though. The forest service roads (gravel roads) are USFS so it’s public land. I stick to the roads mostly and don’t get going too fast. If you get off on some of the jeep trails the riding can get better. As far as I know you have to be on/ in something road legal and tagged. I’d be willing to show you some time.

Look up Rock Creek Road in Suches, GA. Thats where the forest service roads are.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, JVP said:

These coolant recovery systems only fix the symptom of overheating and not the problem.  Install a fan and temp gauge and you won't ever boil over rendering a coolant recovery system useless.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, E-TECH said:

People are nuts bags, all dirt bikes will sit and idle for ever and ever and ever there’s never going to be any problem....

If y’all don’t y’all just go ahead and try it....

Yeah.... I don't think the empirical evidence supports your theory.  Bikes need air flow and circulation.  Dirt bikes are notorious for having poorly designed water pumps and having the radiators so close to the engine and header pipes  reduces efficiency.  That is why most higher end bikes are putting fans on them and a coolant recovery tank is a good option.