New member!

Hey all, new member here.

My bike is an 03' XR650R, Currently plated here in Salt Lake (despite having no turn signals...)

I absolutely love the 650R, it's the perfect bike for me. I'm a bit vertically challenged at 5'11" and I can still do hard single track on this thing.

It's set up as a dual sport, I'm running 15/40 (yes that's right) Gearing. This gearing combo is perfect for 70-80MPH below 5000RPM.

I have a 14/47 combo for off-road, super easy to swap out.

As far as engine mods go, it's completely stock except for the white brothers slip-on pipe. The pipe has no packing in it from the previous owner(s).

It's about as loud as a motorcross bike.

Stock suspension, rebuilt rear shock.

Aftermarket 4.6 gallon IMS tank like 90% of these bikes. Gets me about 250 miles to the tank.

Running the Fluidyne right radiator, with no electric fan it gets warm in start and stop traffic.

Most mods are electrical, it's got a huge Trail Tech 8 inch 100 watt Baja light, which is incredibly bright. And incredibly illegal. Stock stator won't handle that wattage, so I bought the full Ricky stator DC charging kit with the battery, works perfectly for this bike.

Thinking of changing the bulb in the head light to a LED H1 bulb to save some watts, hoping it's brighter too?

I've got a trail tech vapor as well, which everyone and their dog runs. For good reasons too, I love this dash. The temp gauge is impossible to live without.

I'm missing stuff I think, but it's got IMS foot pegs, aftermarket triple clamp... Renthal bars and guards.

As far as 650R's go, it's pretty basic. It's still a fast bike with the gearing, I broke 100 today on the freeway.

Who else rides one of these still? I doubt I'll ever part with it. Love every aspect of it.

Thinking about doing a long range trip, I can probably Average $50 for every 1000 miles in gas. 500 mile oil changes are killer though, but with 15/40 and Shell Rotella I feel I could squeeze to 800 just fine.

What mods have you done to your R? IMG_20180731_143124.jpegIMG_20180730_192623.jpegIMG_20180831_133100.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ToyBrota said:
3 minutes ago, Shackleton said:
"vertically challenged at 5'11" LMAO you poor boy, im so sorry for you. 

I only say that because I can't flat foot the bike, that's vertically challenged if you ask me.

Really dude im 5'4" I could barely tip toe on one foot with that bike. Nice bike BTW Welcome

Edited by Shackleton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ToyBrota said:
2 minutes ago, Shackleton said:
"vertically challenged at 5'11" LMAO you poor boy, im so sorry for you. 

I only say that because I can't flat foot the bike, that's vertically challenged if you ask me.

Me and the gonads know the feeling! A good cup helps.

• Like 2

Oh yeah still riding one! Here's my street legal one in upstate NY. Paid dearly for it, and could never sell it. I've thought about it...but what could replace it? The guy I bought it from had mixed feelings...had bought a new ktm 530? But looked for the 650r for 3 years. I had an XL 600r, then to a drz...sold after 1 ride around the block, then to the xrr. 

IMG_20170910_160644538.jpg

• Like 2

The 650r is still one bad azz desert racer, and a right of passage in So. Cal desert.  I had mine un-corked with a white bro exhaust, slightly ported head work, and a few extra internal goodies, that turned this mild mannered beast into a monster when you twisted the throttle too deep.  trail tech fan, suspension set up by Precision Concepts, computer and a few other go fast bits an pieces. Absolutely love the torque and power running a 14/50 gearing, pinning the throttle and throwing rocks, dirt and sand at anything that was within 20 yards of the  Desert Maxxis tire. Was an adrenaline rush in the open desert. 

I hated  the weight, but at 55 yrs I said good by as i was growing weary always kicking it over out on the trails. 

Picked up a 2016 KTM 500 six days , un-corked,  Precision Concepts suspension , reprogrammed ecu, and best of all a lil black button on the handle bar that says start. In love all over again 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too have a BRP (Big Red Pig). A 2001 bought new in 2003. Have had a number of other bikes in the mean time but always hung on to this one. Street legal in WI. I'm 6'4" bouncing in at 260 and 58 years old so the size of the bike is not much of a factor anymore for the type of riding I do now. Additional upgrades to consider:

1) Long rides require gear and extra gas. The factory BRP spring rates should be increased. Front and back.

2) The factory fork cartridges suck for high speed, square corner, impacts. Nearly broke my wrists just hitting a curb straight on once.  Drill them out and re-shim or buy aftermarket cartridges. That and the springs were my best upgrade. Years ago some guy posted different recipes for drilling/shimming on the BRP Yahoo site. 

3) Lube the linkages. Honda was stingy there.

4) Aftermarket seat (you did say long rides?). I want with the BD tall medium foam. New semi gripper cover helps with the torque of these bikes.

5) Rear rack (long rides?)

6) Right side foot peg BRACKET bolts. These have a tendency to bend/break. Mine bent and I don't even jump very high. There's a fix, Google it.

7) The thermostats can get funky. Google this too. I think a puny Ford car Thermostat fits but may need bleeder hole(s) drilled.

8) Some time in '03 (me thinks) the clutch bushing was updated to prevent galling and seizing. May want to check on that. My 2001 never had a problem.

It sounds like you've address all the other things I did with mine in one form or another. Other that that, teach your riding buddies how to start that thing. I know, once you have the process down it's not difficult but you NEED to know it. I messed my right knee up pretty bad on the trail and needed a buddy to start it. Neither one of us was in the mood to teach or learn at that point.

Good luck and keep that BRP running. Your'e in good company.

Gary

• Like 1