Dipstick level

8 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

I usually have mine almost 1/2 quart "over filled" , being just a res tank , level doesn't matter as long as there is room for expansion and a bit of air below the vent outlet and you know there isn't a quart drained down in the motor case .

Seriously? Isn't that hard on the seals?

Oil level in the tank(dry sump) has nothing to do with anything in the motor unless it's way overfilled and no extra space is left as I mentioned above . Overfilling (should say excessive overfilled) is only bad on those motors that store the oil in the motor itself(wet sump). You could hook the gas tank to the oil lines and fill it with 2.5 gallon of oil and not be hard on seals , just don't have a bad anti drain valve so it runs down into the motor , THEN it would be very hard on things . If not comfortable , don't overfill , it's the proper way , I know how it all works and what to watch for so it's fine and have that extra bit of oil volume circulating ,an ocd thing . No proof of anything

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

Oil level in the tank(dry sump) has nothing to do with anything in the motor unless it's way overfilled and no extra space is left as I mentioned above . Overfilling (should say excessive overfilled) is only bad on those motors that store the oil in the motor itself(wet sump). You could hook the gas tank to the oil lines and fill it with 2.5 gallon of oil and not be hard on seals , just don't have a bad anti drain valve so it runs down into the motor , THEN it would be very hard on things . If not comfortable , don't overfill , it's the proper way , I know how it all works and what to watch for so it's fine and have that extra bit of oil volume circulating ,an ocd thing . No proof of anything

Thanks, I'll try it. 

9 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Can be.

No gains by over filling, only risk.

LOL , show me how more oil in the tank can be hard on seals down in the motor??  A bad anti drain valve ( if not maintained) can let much of the oil down in the sump , but there isn't enough tank capacity to do harm unless way overfilled which already was stated . 1 to 1-1/2cup will NOT do harm and having 10- 15% more oil to circulate can only be better(longer before oil breakdown ect..) How much ?, never said it would be much . Just have to smart about it , if not able to keep it maintained and know what's going on inside , best be safe . Biggest point I was trying to make is no need to waste time and trying to get it filled exactly to the line on the dipstick , plus a little does nothing .

Edited by jjktmrider