2015 X-Trainer battery drain.

My X-Trainers battery is not holding charge, so I went out and bought a new battery. No change, over night the battery was dead again. I removed the ground lead from the battery and charged the battery over night. The next day I put a multi-meter between the batteries negative terminal and the ground lead and the meter showed 13 volts.  On the left side of the bike, above the air box I unplugged the connection in the picture, my voltage draw dropped to 6 volts.  I then disconnected the connection to the oil pump controller and then the voltage went to zero.  I went to my Beta dealer and told him about my problem, after telling me that Beta didn't make a X-Trainer in 2015, he gave me a new capacitor and diode.  I replaced the capacitor but can not find any diode.  Anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix for it.  Also the bike is running rough especially at the mid range and up.  

20180823_073314.jpg

First, learn how to use the ammeter function of your multimeter.  https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-2/ammeter-usage/

With the multimeter hooked up to measure CURRENT drawn from the battery (not voltage), start unplugging and plugging back in various components to figure out which component is drawing current.   The electrical diagram in your owners manual will be very useful in this project.

• Like 1

I went thru the complete wiring harness,  unplugging connection's one at a time, checking both voltage draw and amperage draw. Suddenly between going from one connection to the next, which I was doing slowly, my readings dropped to zero.  I don't know what caused the reading to drop, I reattached the last thing I disconnected and the reading is still zero.  I don't like the fact I didn't find out exactly why the problem went away, but I put everything back together.   Now I have no spark at the spark plug.  Right now I just want to get this bike running correctly so I can get rid of it and go back to my old reliable Yamaha's, which I have ridden for over 45 years without this kind of crazy problems.   I'll take the extra 20 lbs. Over reliability any day!  

Edited by Cabledawg
Spelling

A bit more review on use a multi-meter, and brush-up on DC electrical theory seems in order.   'Voltage draw' is not a thing.  Typically referred to as 'voltage drop'.     Current draw, yes.  For most locations on a motorcycle wiring harness, voltage will be either be 12.5 plus or minus 1 volt, or zero.

Attached is schematic for a 2015 Beta X-trainer.  Zoom in as necessary on the schematic to read the wire colors, component numbers.  Hope you can identify the component you unplugged.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Edited by danfarson
typo
  • Like 1

On September 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Cabledawg said:

My X-Trainers battery is not holding charge, so I went out and bought a new battery. No change, over night the battery was dead again. I removed the ground lead from the battery and charged the battery over night. The next day I put a multi-meter between the batteries negative terminal and the ground lead and the meter showed 13 volts.  On the left side of the bike, above the air box I unplugged the connection in the picture, my voltage draw dropped to 6 volts.  I then disconnected the connection to the oil pump controller and then the voltage went to zero.  I went to my Beta dealer and told him about my problem, after telling me that Beta didn't make a X-Trainer in 2015, he gave me a new capacitor and diode.  I replaced the capacitor but can not find any diode.  Anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix for it.  Also the bike is running rough especially at the mid range and up.  

20180823_073314.jpg

My 15 Xtrainer was experiencing the same thing killing my new battery everyday. For some reason the speedometer was the problem. Unplugged it and my battery never died again!! speedometer would stay on reading funky numbers or the led would stay on