Finally! A 300

I say finally because I bought the bike in November and it never really felt like a 300 using the Suzuki needles, the OEM needle, or a Lectron. Few things done recently that have made my 2015 Beta 300RR run amazing!

1. Installed jetting recommendations from RK Tek. Sea level and 70F, 87 eth free fuel, 50:1 Silkolene Pro 2 oil.

172 Main

N8RG needle (2015 Husky TE300 stock needle) set in the middle clip

40 pilot

2. Installed rear tubliss

3. Installed IRC radial rear trials tire (for a tubeless rim even tho my rim is not "tubeless" design). TR-11 is the model name. Ran 5 PSI.

4. Adjusted carburetor float using this (Go to 3:08 to see the trick).

Result: Amazing. :jawdrop::worthy::banana:Barely hafta use clutch now in first because there's so much more torque and throttle response. My rear tire setup results in great traction that I'm literally wheelying up hills now. I can stop and start in the middle of a big climb - no problem. ?

I still haven't improved fuel economy (tried: Lectron, RK Tek head, and JD jet kit) but the torque added  and the Velcro like traction (using stock head BTW) makes the bike very fun to ride. Would encourage anyone interested in traction and off idle throttle response in first gear riding slow trails to give these setting a try. The tire combo has literally changed my :ride: style now. Way more controlled and less effort expended.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 10

I say finally because I bought the bike in November and it never really felt like a 300 using the Suzuki needles, the OEM needle, or a Lectron. Few things done recently that have made my 2015 Beta 300RR run amazing!
1. Installed jetting recommendations from RK Tek. Sea level and 70F, 87 eth free fuel, 50:1 Silkolene Pro 2 oil.
172 Main
N8RG needle (2015 Husky TE300 stock needle) set in the middle clip
40 pilot
2. Installed rear tubliss
3. Installed IRC radial rear trials tire (for a tubeless rim even tho my rim is not "tubeless" design). TR-11 is the model name. Ran 5 PSI.
4. Adjusted carburetor float using this (Go to 3:08 to see the trick).
Result: Amazing. :jawdrop::worthy::banana:Barely hafta use clutch now in first because there's so much more torque and throttle response. My rear tire setup results in great traction that I'm literally wheelying up hills now. I can stop and start in the middle of a big climb - no problem. [emoji106]
I still haven't improved fuel economy (tried: Lectron, RK Tek head, and JD jet kit) but the torque added  and the Velcro like traction (using stock head BTW) makes the bike very fun to ride. Would encourage anyone interested in traction and off idle throttle response in first gear riding slow trails to give these setting a try. The tire combo has literally changed my :ride: style now. Way more controlled and less effort expended.
Congratulations - took me a while too to get it crispy. I used the Suzuki needle. The JD jetting kit did not work well for me so went back to the same needle/jet combo my local shop uses for a 300 KTM with a mikuni carb. I think much has to do where each of us live at different altitudes and humidity . And YES, also the bike amazes me when it starts and pulls me up in the middle of a loose, dried out, steep hill. By far the best climber I have ever owned. This is with those crappy stock tires that round out after 4 hours of riding.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aircop84 said:

The JD jetting kit did not work well for me so went back to the same needle/jet combo my local shop uses for a 300 KTM with a mikuni carb.

Interesting. So you're using a Mikuni needle in your Keihin carb? That's a new twist.

The billy goat ability of this bike is off the charts now. :ride:

24 minutes ago, Andrew Graham said:

My irc trials lasted about a 1/2 day . , when I noticed it being flat I seen the green slime coming from a small cut . Stuck my finger in the slice and it ripped open like a lady’s pantyhose .  FWIW I never had issues with Dunlop trials tires as they are a little more robust 

Do you spin your tires or brake slide? I try not to. Have 12 hours on the tire now and there’s no wear visible. :excuseme:

27 minutes ago, volitan said:

Did you find it felt alot better then any other needle you tried?
I have the lectron too but i took it off to go back to stock With the N8RG. I havent tried it yet though

Hard to isolate between needle selections really. Need to repeat that now that my float height is correct but with the incorrect float height and a RK Tech head the needle was lively - perhaps too lively for tech riding. That combo is gone (sold the RK) so for me to say "it's the needle" isn't fully correct.

When I bought the bike it came with a Lectron. It guzzled gas then too and ran like poo (without character and lighter torque on the butt dyno) even after tuning the needle. If the Lectron isn't saving you fuel then you may as well go back to Keihin for the performance benefits.

Needle swapping is pretty fast so I'd try your N8RG after you know that your float is correct. Probably should set the float, keep all circuits the same, ride, change needle, ride, evaluate. Try and use the same exact riding course.

Edited by shrubitup

43 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Hard to isolate between needle selections really. Need to repeat that now that my float height is correct but with the incorrect float height and a RK Tech head the needle was lively - perhaps too lively for tech riding. That combo is gone (sold the RK) so for me to say "it's the needle" isn't fully correct.

When I bought the bike it came with a Lectron. It guzzled gas then too and ran like poo (without character and lighter torque on the butt dyno) even after tuning the needle. If the Lectron isn't saving you fuel then you may as well go back to Keihin for the performance benefits.

Needle swapping is pretty fast so I'd try your N8RG after you know that your float is correct. Probably should set the float, keep all circuits the same, ride, change needle, ride, evaluate. Try and use the same exact riding course.

Thanks alot for your input. I have an RK on this 300. As far as the float height it set exactly like the manual calls for at 60 degree angle. I really liked the lectron at first but its actually more of a pain now for some reason.  Idles like crap. Mid throttle is crap too and stalls.  I think ita going for sale soon

20 minutes ago, Derik Violette said:

I think ita going for sale soon

When you get your Keihin dialed it will be drop kicked without shame I'm sure. Lectron is the only carb sold more than once. Speaking of stalling, this new jetting/float setup makes stalls even less of a thing. Really works great just off idle - almost XR600 like. :ride:

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

When you get your Keihin dialed it will be drop kicked without shame I'm sure. Lectron is the only carb sold more than once. Speaking of stalling, this new jetting/float setup makes stalls even less of a thing. Really works great just off idle - almost XR600 like. :ride:

I dont see any good/experienced riders using lectron, in my area anyways. Gotta be a reason for that. It worked fine with the stock head. But with the RK it started working like crap and i didnt feel like changing metering rods.

hopefully i will get it working at good as yours ?

3 minutes ago, Derik Violette said:

I dont see any good/experienced riders using lectron, in my area anyways. Gotta be a reason for that. It worked fine with the stock head. But with the RK it started working like crap and i didnt feel like changing metering rods.

hopefully i will get it working at good as yours :)

I would re-try the Lectron with the stock head and then also re-try the Keihin with the stock head too. You need to determine which is at fault.

With my RK Tek head and JD Jetting the bike was more aggressive than a YZ250. Knock me off the back in whiskey throttle moments (I'm 250 pounds so that's some heavy punch). Withe the RK Teak head and the N8RG needle it was more controllable but still fairly hard pull mid-range wise but then it fouled a plug and my available gas/hours of daylight left were getting slimmer so I ended for the day. Next ride was the N8RG, adjusted float, and the stock head - wham, jackpot! Process of elimination.

I would re-try the Lectron with the stock head and then also re-try the Keihin with the stock head too. You need to determine which is at fault.

With my RK Tek head and JD Jetting the bike was more aggressive than a YZ250. Knock me off the back in whiskey throttle moments (I'm 250 pounds so that's some heavy punch). Withe the RK Teak head and the N8RG needle it was more controllable but still fairly hard pull mid-range wise but then it fouled a plug and my available gas/hours of daylight left were getting slimmer so I ended for the day. Next ride was the N8RG, adjusted float, and the stock head - wham, jackpot! Process of elimination.

I like a really hard punch, i have a 1/4 turn throttle, power valve all the way out too.

What jetting were you using with the JD and RK?I have that kit too. Mine would probably different but im just curious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, volitan said:

I like a really hard punch, i have a 1/4 throttle, power valve all the way out too.
What jetting were you using with the JD and RK?I have that kit too. Mine would probably different but im just curious.

You hafta remove the smaller PV spring and use the JD supplied washer (shim) too and then set PV screw to one turn in from fully flush with case. Setting I used was 38, blue, 2nd clip, 162. Would be useful for racing. Launch over everything.

Edited by shrubitup

You hafta remove the smaller PV spring and use the JD supplied washer (shim) too and then set PV screw to one turn in from fully flush with case. Setting I used was 38, blue, 2nd clip, 162. Would be useful for racing. Launch over everything.

Perfect!
Thanks for taking the time to respond!