tr6

Dr650 engine oil level poll

How do you check your oil level. I read Elden Carls article awhile back, i'll paste it in here. He says check it with bike 5 degrees from vertical. I don't have a protractor so i guessed and sit the kickstand on a 2x4, seems like about 5 degrees?

the 2nd thing is when you change oil you're supposed to let it run 3 minutes then let sit a few and check site glass with bike level. doesn't work on my bike, shows it being low. if i do it that way then take a ride and check it again it's above the glass. more oil leaks down after riding for some reason.

Elden Carls article

OIL LEVEL

A few years ago I created a furor by writing that the oil sight glass is in the wrong place on the KLR650. The claim was based on the fact that the correct amount of oil specified by the factory at oil change brings the oil level to approximately 10oz over the sight glass. This theory came about as a result of careful study and since then I have refined the oil level check procedure to make it more accurate (see the article on oil level checks with a "Sears" protractor).

The first oil change after the discovery was done on a "Handy Lift" with the KLR perfectly level front to rear and perpendicular to the floor. The oil was drained while hot and the bike left overnite so almost all of the oil would drain out including the few ounces in the oil filter chamber.

If you have a 1996 through 2004 Suzuki DR650 and are ready for some more controversy, then get this!

The DR650 has exactly the same problem with the oil sight glass as the KLR650. As a result, the only accurate way to keep track of the oil level is as described for the KLR650 ("Sears" protractors are available in their tool department). The number of degrees of lean required for the check is about the same(5 degrees) from vertical to the left. NOTE: If you change your rake and trail, you should recomputed the correct check lean angle.

:)

huh :D. Drain oil, fill to top of site glass, run around the block once or twice, pull in gararage, or nice flat spot & shut it down. make the bike as level as possible & after about 2-3 mins check level, if low add to top of site glass. Protractor :) how many guys dont use a protractor & have had engine problems from low oil? Prob none.

Boy thats very technical for just checking the oil in the ole thumper.. :)

That was pretty technical!

To be more pragmatic. I have noticed oil level anomolies with my 02 DR650.

The first couple of times that I changed my oil I measured the amount in CCs as per the amount stamped on the crankcase by the oil fill cap. When i did this the window showed overfull when the bike was held vertical. It was a real pain to try and drain a couple of hundred CCs out, and leave the rest of the oil in the crankase!

The 3rd oil change I put 300CCs less oil in. Then I ran the bike for 2-3 mins, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then held it vertical and checked the window. Then filled it until the level was just below the top "FULL" line.

To check the oil level before riding, I just hold the bike vertical for 10 seconds and check the window. A liitle bit off vertical seems to make a big diference in oil level in the window.

The best way to make sure the bike is 'mostly' vertical, is to put it on a stand, or lean it against a wall.

Ya, I this is a bit esoteric.

Jason

huh :D. Drain oil, fill to top of site glass, run around the block once or twice, pull in gararage, or nice flat spot & shut it down. make the bike as level as possible & after about 2-3 mins check level, if low add to top of site glass. Protractor :) how many guys dont use a protractor & have had engine problems from low oil? Prob none.

Ditto...

I think you are misunderstanding the problem with the oil sighting window. The factory recommended amount of oil will fill the engine ABOVE the oil window so the bike looks like it's overfilled when it's not. If you just fill to the top of the window, you are underfilling the engine as compared to the recommended amount of oil.

HW

I can't believe how complicated you guys can make this simple procedure sound. :) With the bike vertical, fill it up to the F mark by the sight glass. Put the oil cap back on. Start the bike, run it for about 2-3 minutes, giving it a bit of a rev. Stop it. Leave it to sit for another few minutes. Recheck the oil level with the bike vertical. :D

I've done this with all my bikes for the last 25 years with no problems what so ever, and funnily enough that's what the manual says to do too. It says APPROXIMATELY 2400ml with a new filter, NOT exactly 2400ml. No mention of protracters or the phase of the moon any other such nonsense. :D

Still, whatever pops your cork. If you're all happy getting out your protractors, tide charts, and whatever else you use, then good on ya, just so long as your enjoying yourself. :D

It just doesn't make sense to me that you add oil past the "F" line on the window. What is the point of the window otherwise? I will continue to fill to just below the "F" line with the bike vertical (or mostly). I don't use whatever angle gauge is mentioned above and I do not consult tide charts!

And for my Kiwi friend, correct oil level doesn't "pop my cork" just seems like good sense. I change the filter with every oil change and I'm still not sure why the measured amount seems to overfill by so much? Maybe it's my definition of "approximately".

Jason

And for my Kiwi friend, correct oil level doesn't "pop my cork" just seems like good sense.

I couldn't agree more, I was referring to the methods some people seem to be using to achieve this though - it's not rocket science.

Keep the oil level correct (on the F mark) and do regular oil and filter changes. I change my oil around every 3000km with a new filter each time. I have mates who do oil change way more regular than that too, one guy does his about 1000km. Oil and filters are cheap compared to the cost of repairs further down the track.

"QUOTE" I can't believe how complicated you guys can make this simple procedure sound. With the bike vertical, fill it up to the F mark by the sight glass. Put the oil cap back on. Start the bike, run it for about 2-3 minutes, giving it a bit of a rev. Stop it. Leave it to sit for another few minutes. Recheck the oil level with the bike vertical.

Yes sounds simple to do it like the manual says. But it will be overfilled if that site glass is in the right spot lol. Mine completely covers the site glass :D That artice is right for sure, :) I did it the suzuki manual way twice and it looked right on, checked back later and over the glass.

My vote is the article is right on and they6 know a lot more than me.

http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/articles.htm

Atren't you supposed to run the engine for a few minutes, turn it off for a minute and THEN check the oil in the sight window? That would seem to account for oil still being in the engine and what not, and maybe then it isn't over the Full line. I dunno. I put in 2400ml, myself. Seems to run just fine. I figure the manual knows best. Hell, even the oil cap has 2300ml stamped on it. That would probably put it over full on the window, too.

The manual says

Run several minutes, turn the engine off, wait one minute and check the oil level.

I think if you put 2400ml and check with the above method, the level will be O.K.

When the motor is cold, the oil will overfill the sight glass, but the suzuki manual doesnt say to check with the motor cold.

If you wait several minutes after shutoff, the oil will overfill the window again, but the manyal says one minyte only.

So, if you dont follow the suzuki recomendations, you will run with less oil in your motor.I think it is critical for a single aircooling motor.

:thumbsup: <font color="purple">

http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/dr650_page.htm

changed my oil twice since i started this thread. the manuals wrong in my opinion lol. 2.5 quarts with filter change or 2.4 without always reads overfilled. you can get extra oil to drain out if you lean the bike way over to the passenger side i call it and back a bunch of times. (which i do)

i put a full gallon in mine anyway since it stays so hot in vegas!

I think you guys r all forgeting about the oil left in the oil cooler thats about an other 200cc or so i guess. the 2400cc r just for DRY bikes so putting it on a level and reving it a bit waiting and then adjusting level by sight glass is what i do.

I don't ever measure oil when changing the oil in my DR650.  I fill it a little above F line with it vertical, crank it and as long as the oil is in the middle of the F and L mark with it running it's good.

Just drain the oil, change the filter if you feel like it, dump in two quarts and go. It will be perfect and you get two changes out of a gallon.

• Like 1